Menu

What's "the 1 book of" Mother Goose, Aesop and Fairy Tales you recommend?

mathmarm

I'd like to get a book of fairy tales, a book of Aesops fables and a book of Mother Goose rhymes for my sons K4-K5 years. What has been the nicest set that you've found or that you'd recommend.

I'm hoping to use the books for a year or two, reading and re-reading them and enjoying them with him. I'm a horrible judge of literature though so I'm asking you guys for help.

I'd prefer a version of the fairy tales that have a lesson and a moral to them, so even if they are a re-made version of the popular ones, fine.

The Nursery Rhymes are more of a language thing, so it's okay for them to be silly and memorable and "fluff" instead of "substance".

Edited by mathmarm
  • Like 1

I'm following, as I don't have a good fairy tale set that I love (traditional and possibly scary vs overly sanitized?)

I know that I don't want Overly Sanitized, but I don't know if if I want traditional and possibly scary either....What book has a good medium, I wonder?

We have the Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose, which we enjoy. But we usually digress from the rhymes to discuss the pictures.

That looks so amazing! I like that it includes so many! I had been looking at The Real Mother Goose but it's got about 305 rhymes, and I have read that many of them are not PC for a 21st century world.

But BoMG says it has over 300 rhymes and it's 176 pages.

Where as RMG has 305 rhymes and is only 128 pages.

The BoMG doesn't let you look inside, but it has a sample page. Are most of the pages like that sample shown? I mean fully Illustrated and minimal poems on each page? The BoMG is so nicely illustrated, I can see why you all get side tracked by the pictures...

But RMG has nicely done illustrations also, though the formatting is a little crowded where it puts multiple rhymes on the same page, but as it's meant for me to read to him, I don't mind that too much. There are several illustrations interspersed throughout and even some full page illustrations.

Naturally my library has neither :(

I couldn't find the sample on Amazon.... It looks like we have the older 1986 edition. It has lots of pictures, some smaller but most are close to full page.

Our library does have the Real MG, but we weren't as impressed with their pictures. I'm sure your library must have other works by Lobel, so you can get an idea of his style. At the time we got ours, my daughter had a speech delay, so pictures were (and still are!) important for us to discuss.

This is a timely thread, as we've been spending a week each reading different fairy tales. We have been picking a few copies of each tale done by different author/illustrators from the library. I tend to like the ones by Paul Galdone, but I don't think he has a collection!

I'm no expert on choosing *a* volume, but this is what was given to us ... and we (girls and boys) have enjoyed it repeatedly.

Mary Englebreit's Mother Goose

She has similar books for fairy tales and nursery tales (whatever the difference is?).

For Aesop, many reading lists/curriculum that I see often recommend Milo WInter's Volume of fables.

• Like 1

That looks so amazing! I like that it includes so many! I had been looking at The Real Mother Goose but it's got about 305 rhymes, and I have read that many of them are not PC for a 21st century world.

But BoMG says it has over 300 rhymes and it's 176 pages.

Where as RMG has 305 rhymes and is only 128 pages.

The BoMG doesn't let you look inside, but it has a sample page. Are most of the pages like that sample shown? I mean fully Illustrated and minimal poems on each page? The BoMG is so nicely illustrated, I can see why you all get side tracked by the pictures...

But RMG has nicely done illustrations also, though the formatting is a little crowded where it puts multiple rhymes on the same page, but as it's meant for me to read to him, I don't mind that too much. There are several illustrations interspersed throughout and even some full page illustrations.

Naturally my library has neither :(

We have the Real Mother Goose and my kids absolutely adore it. I like the illustrations and it's not a huge book even with that many pages. But I didn't know Lobel had one and now I desperately want it. We love Lobel Edited by ReadingMama1214
  • Like 1

I've requested a few on inter-library loan, so I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

I did pick up Engelbreit's Nursery Tales. It looks like those are more folk tales (Three Little Pigs, Red Riding Hood, etc) whereas her Fairy Tales book contains "princess" stories.

The pictures are nice, however the stories have been sanitized so that nobody gets eaten and they all live happily ever after. Still, I might buy this one, as it has a high picture to word ratio, which my preschooler still needs. It just felt strange to read this version of Three Little Pigs, where all four characters are still alive at the end, and then immediately follow it with my daughter's next choice - David and Goliath (spoiler alert, in our version Goliath died, and daughter was perfectly okay with that.)

We quite like this book of nursery rhymes - it has a nice collection but doesn't feel overhwelming. Also, the illustrations are captivating.

https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Goose-Original-Volland-Facsimile/dp/B000ONO6MG/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490767064&sr=1-4&keywords=mother+goose+volland+edition

For fairy tales, we like the books illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman: https://www.amazon.com/Trina-Schart-Hyman/e/B000AQ1F3A/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_2

We also read heavily from Lang's Fairy Books, which we have on a Kindle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have The Real Mother Goose because I found a copy at Goodwill, but the one my kids read until it literally fell apart was the Mary Engelbreit one linked above.

The Aesop collection illustrated by Milo Winters is a classic and hard to beat.