Menu

Knee Pain - Torn Meniscus, anyone?

scbusf

I saw an orthopedic doctor today for my knee pain. He said my x-rays looked awesome, so no arthritis!!!! (My mom had double knee replacements in her 50s due to severe arthritis.)

He said my pain is probably due to a torn meniscus or some cartilage damage. I am going to have an MRI - need to schedule it.

Has anyone had a torn meniscus? I'd love to avoid surgery, but I also don't want to live with pain. I'm 44 and fairly active, and I'd like to continue that for as long as possible!!!!

Any experience with a torn meniscus? Surgery, cortisone shots?

I had a minor tear with a little chunk of broken off cartilage which is what was causing me problems. Recovery was 100% uneventful and I was training martial arts 3 weeks later, and 5 weeks later I couldn't even tell which knee had been done without looking at the small scars. 

I saw an orthopedic doctor today for my knee pain. He said my x-rays looked awesome, so no arthritis!!!! (My mom had double knee replacements in her 50s due to severe arthritis.)

He said my pain is probably due to a torn meniscus or some cartilage damage. I am going to have an MRI - need to schedule it.

Has anyone had a torn meniscus? I'd love to avoid surgery, but I also don't want to live with pain. I'm 44 and fairly active, and I'd like to continue that for as long as possible!!!!

Any experience with a torn meniscus? Surgery, cortisone shots?

I tore mine in the Army in my twenties and didn't want the surgery. A long run would have me limping for a while.. I was so close to getting out and had no plans to ever run again. Twenty years later I can classify it as a mild inconvenience. Most days I don't feel it. I get a twinge if the weather is weird. I can't do a ballet class on it, but I do teach bellydance classes and dance about 8-10 hours a week. Right now I'm doing extra rehearsals for a big event this weekend, so my knee is complaining a bit, but it's not enough pain to slow me down. I'll rest it when I get home and it'll be fine again.

I had that injury in my 20s and did have surgery. Turns out that I had an injury and a malformation - discoid meniscus when mine was shaped like a round disc versus the letter C.

My recovery was fine but many intense activities never came back to being possible. Basketball and skiing cause intense knee pain. When I asked my doctor why this pain continues, I was told it's simply reality of the injury. I was mad for years because I expected a full recovery.

Things like Zumba are too taxing on my knees but I can do less knee-intensive physical activity like jogging or running or other cardio dancing. Soccer I can do a one-off game but I can't join a team - my post-game recovery time is too long. Even basketball, I can play some for fun but not a serious game. So now 10+ years later I can still be physically active but I have to be mindful of the activity I choose.

A portion of my issue is also how I bend my knee when I walk -- apparently I do that wrong too. I doubt I did enough PT to correct it.

I did shots before the surgery and they would help temporarily. I imagine my recovery would be even less if I had to do the surgery today just due to age and being less physically fit.