Menu

Is anyone else's senior just worn out?

Ann.without.an.e

Sometimes it is hardest to push through when you are close to the end.  Dd is really feeling it.  She's tired of competing for scholarships and jumping through hoops at schools she can't afford to attend unless she gets the scholarship.  She feels like it will either be worth it (if she gets it) or a total waste of time if she doesn't.  She's thankful for the opportunities but now she is emotionally tired and she still has no idea where she might go to school.

The "not knowing" where she might be next year is wearing on her.  May 1st can't come soon enough ya'll.  

Are we alone?  Grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and vent with me  :lol:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 5

You are not alone!! I've got an exhausted senior here too. She's so tired of trying to finish up senior year strong while working on scholarships, college decisions and everything that goes with it.

Edited by PuddleJumper1
  • Like 3

She's so tired of trying to finish up senior year strong while working on scholarships, college decisions and everything that goes with it.

Yes, dd has some big projects on her plate and Ap exams coming up and she is tired.  I am sorry that your dd is tired but glad we are not alone.  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Absolutely! She broke down this past weekend with the stress, anxiety, and uncertainty. She made the decision to not run for a leadership position at the state Youth in Government conference next month because those 3 essays were just too much.

Yes, they are just so done, right?  DD has skipped over a few opportunities because she didn't have it in her.  Our area has a brightest high school senior contest that she was nominated for and she looked at the paperwork and said "nope".  I think they get to the point where proving themselves on paper one more time is just nauseating.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

Mine is done, done, done, too. Unfortunately, she is taking the American gov't CLEP tomorrow (worst one she has taken. Lots of memorization) and US history 1 next week. At least there is a breather of a few weeks before everything else hits climax again.

Good luck to your dd on her CLEP.  I guess all of this stress just gets them more ready for college  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

It is so reassuring for me to hear that my girl is not the only one blowing off some scholarship apps, etc.  

You know what else she has started blowing off?  These admitted student days to schools she isn't sure she can afford yet.  She has decided to wait until she narrows it down to 2-3 schools and then revisit and skip the admitted days.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Mine is struggling. She just got her second cold in four weeks.

She wants it all done right now. Thankfully her local lit/history/writing classes ends early in May, and her online classes end in late May. Her physics text will be done in mid-May. So we're almost there.

I'm guessing that she won't be done with her physics experiments by graduation, but we can do that over the summer  :hurray: . Having just "physics" on the transcript that goes to the college is fine.

I'm feeling worn out myself. It's hard to believe that I'll be effectively "retired" from homeschooling in a few months!

Edited by G5052
  • Like 3

Yes...we have taken to repeat watching the British Baking Show on weekdays to help him release stress. Previously, we rarely watched TV on weekdays. AP classes should be done in 6 weeks. 7 weeks for uni DE class. 8 weeks more for the two last and least challenging CC classes.

Cannot wait for summer!

• Like 3

My twins are both struggling. My daughter is full of anxiety waiting for scholarship news. 

My son is struggling with making a decision about where to go next year. It is down to a huge state school or a very small LAC. He has no idea what to do.

Both are burned out with academics and all the essays they have had to write this year. I had no idea how hard this whole process would be. I will be happy when it is over. 

• Like 3

Mine is in the same boat. She is on Spring break this week. She had a mini-meltdown Sunday night when I tried to talk to her about her choices for next year. It ended with me agreeing not to bring up anything about college until Friday when she has to make a decision on whether or not to let one opportunity go.

She's taking 17 DE hours this semester and working 10 hours as a TA. Yeah, she's stressed.

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 3

Just wanted to add that all my post likes are actually virtual hugs.

I am a good cheerleader and enabler on some days. On others I feel like I am not supporting kiddo enough. :(

Sending everyone more hugs.

I was hoping my likes would be interpreted that way.  I don't like that ya'll are struggling too, I am just liking that y'all are venting with me  :grouphug:

• Like 5

Mine is in the same boat. She is on Spring break this week. She had a mini-meltdown Sunday night when I tried to talk to her about her choices for next year. It ended with me agreeing not to bring up anything about college until Friday when she has to make a decision on whether or not to let one opportunity go.

She's taking 17 DE hours this semester and working 10 hours as a TA. Yeah, she's stressed.

Do you know what my dd did yesterday?  She handed me the sign ins for all of her portals and told me to change her passwords and not tell me anything about any of it until April 1st and between now and then we are not talking about anything college related.  She has several decisions coming in over the next week and then she'll kick into decision making mode, but right now she doesn't know all of the pieces to this puzzle so she just wants to stop over thinking it all.  I guess if that is what she wants.  Maybe I should tell her the results with cupcakes somehow?

• Like 7

I was hoping senior year would actually be easier, by knowing what is in store, but I guess there are still lots of decisions to be made.  Hugs to all of you and your young adults!  You are almost there!  Though I admit this makes me nervous, because I have felt like junior year has been difficult, with the heavy courseload and needing to get all these tests and things done in time for the applications in the fall.  

:grouphug:

• Like 5

I was hoping senior year would actually be easier, by knowing what is in store, but I guess there are still lots of decisions to be made.  Hugs to all of you and your young adults!  You are almost there!  Though I admit this makes me nervous, because I have felt like junior year has been difficult, with the heavy courseload and needing to get all these tests and things done in time for the applications in the fall.  

:grouphug:

I was under the impression it would be easier and that junior year was the difficult one.  Haha, learned that the hard way.  :lol:   Maybe for the kids who know exactly what they want, can get an early decision, etc.  Maybe then it is easier?

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

At least I am feeling better about it all today.  I got the bottom line for Davidson yesterday (without the departmental merit aid she is in the running for) and  :thumbup1:   I am not quite sure how we will come up with the money but it is lower than any other option I have seen yet so I am happy, happy.  This has made dd feel better because her least favorite school has been the cheapest so far and even though it is an awesome school, DD does NOT want to go there.  Now she doesn't have to  :thumbup:  I think this will relieve a little stress for now. 

ETA:  I don't think the departmental aid will make any difference in our bottom line because Davidson covered us with a ton of need aid and I don't think they switch that out?  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

ETA: I don't think the departmental aid will make any difference in our bottom line because Davidson covered us with a ton of need aid and I don't think they switch that out?

The only way to know is to ask the school. If there is any loan or work study in the package, a merit award would erase that at least.

• Like 1

Dd is so ready to be done, and so am I! She will have a lot of stress in the next two weeks and then will have to make a decision pretty quickly. Glad this will be the final push, but I wish we could beam ourselves to the other side of it....

• Like 1

We are all absolutely exhausted here.  

DD20 is graduating in May from college, and is trying to decide where to go career wise and job hunting.

DD16a went through a scholarship competition, only to not win enough award to go to her school of choice, so we are shifting gears to her 2nd choice school....while still waiting on THEIR final financial aid letter.

DD16b has run the gamut of being completely sold on a school, to maybe wanting to go to the local university, to deciding that her desired major (Biochemistry) isn't what she wants to do at all, to thinking that maybe she's just going to take advantage of the two years of tuition free community college instead, and study business.

*I* am graduating from college in May and have been interviewing for jobs (second interview with a company on Monday, fingers crossed!!).  I am also trying to decide whether or not I'm continuing on to get a bachelors, also depending on these darned financial aid letters!

Add life in general on top of that, and all the senior year activities going on, we don't know if we are coming or going.

• Like 5

Yep, another tired one here. We blew off the last application as the school isn't going to give her enough to make it worth it. And we blew off some scholarship applications. She needs to work on getting her calc grade up from a B, and on her recital. Enough is enough.

Mine is struggling to keep her calc at a B and not going to a C. She is typically an A girl, but she is SO tired and stressed. It's just a really hard last semester, even emotionally.

• Like 3

DD20 is graduating in May from college, and is trying to decide where to go career wise and job hunting.

DD16a went through a scholarship competition, only to not win enough award to go to her school of choice, so we are shifting gears to her 2nd choice school....while still waiting on THEIR final financial aid letter.

DD16b has run the gamut of being completely sold on a school, to maybe wanting to go to the local university, to deciding that her desired major (Biochemistry) isn't what she wants to do at all, to thinking that maybe she's just going to take advantage of the two years of tuition free community college instead, and study business.

*I* am graduating from college in May and have been interviewing for jobs (second interview with a company on Monday, fingers crossed!!).  I am also trying to decide whether or not I'm continuing on to get a bachelors, also depending on these darned financial aid letters!

Add life in general on top of that, and all the senior year activities going on, we don't know if we are coming or going.

Congratulations to you! :hurray:

DS is pretty burned out. He had some issues earlier this year, which affected his grades and presumably his college admissions. He does have some acceptances in hand, but he's gotten several rejections and waitlists. Right now his 3 acceptances are from the 3 on the bottom of his list. OTOH, he's got 3 acceptances. And financial aid from one is fantastic. So it could be much worse. It's really hard for me to see his pain on each rejection.

• Like 1

Congratulations to you! :hurray:

DS is pretty burned out. He had some issues earlier this year, which affected his grades and presumably his college admissions. He does have some acceptances in hand, but he's gotten several rejections and waitlists. Right now his 3 acceptances are from the 3 on the bottom of his list. OTOH, he's got 3 acceptances. And financial aid from one is fantastic. So it could be much worse. It's really hard for me to see his pain on each rejection.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

That sounds tough.  Were you able to explain any of the issues in a counselor letter?  I would hope that would help  :crying:

• Like 1

Can I just say, just reading your post makes me feel tired  :wacko:   Hang in there and Congrats  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Dd is so ready to be done, and so am I! She will have a lot of stress in the next two weeks and then will have to make a decision pretty quickly. Glad this will be the final push, but I wish we could beam ourselves to the other side of it....

Beaming ourselves to the other side  :lol:   That is an invention I would pay good money for, ha.  In all honesty though, we grow most through the tough times and these kids (and their mamas) are learning a huge lesson in patience.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

My Jr is exhausted already. It's almost time to enroll for DE classes next fall & I'm encouraging him to take one "less" class Sr. Year. He'll have to get applications done on top of everything else.

Once he added in an internship, robotics, & a big science fair project, it was way too much this year. Winning their spot to ISEF is awesome but the final prep may push him over the edge.

He's been falling asleep in the car (while I'm driving) between activities!!!- what 16 yr old does that?

You're telling me next year will be worse?!

Groan

• Like 3

Once he added in an internship, robotics, & a big science fair project, it was way too much this year. Winning their spot to ISEF is awesome but the final prep may push him over the edge.

He's been falling asleep in the car (while I'm driving) between activities!!!- what 16 yr old does that?

Groan

Same here. My 16 yo is doing two dance recitals and her big science fair project is going to a conference. She's trying to figure out when to study for the SAT math subject test she's signed up for in May as well. Poor kid feels like her brain is going to explode.

We need to have a talk about cutting back a smidge for senior year to make room for college search stuff. We will also try to get ahead a bit over the summer on the applications where we can.

• Like 2

My Jr is exhausted already. It's almost time to enroll for DE classes next fall & I'm encouraging him to take one "less" class Sr. Year. He'll have to get applications done on top of everything else.

Groan

I guess it depends.  Does he have a dream school that's achievable in admissions and finances?  If so, it won't be so tough :)

If he is like my dd and needs a low bottom line and decides to compete for spots in full need met without loan schools, it is just tough.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

I guess it depends. Does he have a dream school that's achievable in admissions and finances? If so, it won't be so tough :)

If he is like my dd and needs a low bottom line and decides to compete for spots in full need met without loan schools, it is just tough.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Yeah, those reach schools add a ton of stress, and my D's are all so far from home as well.

• Like 1

Do you know what my dd did yesterday?  She handed me the sign ins for all of her portals and told me to change her passwords and not tell me anything about any of it until April 1st and between now and then we are not talking about anything college related.  She has several decisions coming in over the next week and then she'll kick into decision making mode, but right now she doesn't know all of the pieces to this puzzle so she just wants to stop over thinking it all.  I guess if that is what she wants.  Maybe I should tell her the results with cupcakes somehow?

Jus to piggy back on this.  It was a great idea, but it didn't actually work. I checked the portals for decisions, but since she got merit aid at both schools so far, she was sent emails about them and in the subject line was Congratulations on your Merit Scholarship.  So our plan failed.  Oh well.  It was a good idea but didn't execute well.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Slightly jealous of the mom who will be all done in a few weeks.

Here...one almost done....six more to go!

And I do have sixteen year old that sleeps while I drive too! 😛

I know!  I have three more to go.  6 more seems like  :eek:  By number 3 you will be a pro...in auto mode and nothing will stress you out.   :D

• Like 2

Spring term is starting now as ds just finished two classes at the local college.  He's definitely drifting toward senioritis, so I've come up with what I hope will be a game changer: we're moving to the Colorado College plan for his last term of the year.  He'll do three weeks of one class apiece, intensive 40 hours per week stuff, and power through.  He teaches a literature group for middle school homeschoolers as his senior project so that will have to continue on a "normal" schedule, and his own literature tutorial will continue, but everything else will condense.

• Like 1

Ha! This was my most stressful application season by far! Definitely not a matter of being in autopilot. Things constantly change.

My two are two school years apart. Here are some of the ways my current junior's college search will be different from her college freshman sister's:

New majors -- totally different college lists.

New FAFSA formula -- prior prior year.

New version of the SAT.

Kid decided she hates the SAT, so she'll be my first to do ACT.

Also first kid to have schools that require subject tests on her list.

New Coalition App didn't exist for previous kid, and my state U requires it.

New Common App essay prompts.

Some lessons learned, but nothing close to "autopilot."

• Like 3

My two are two school years apart. Here are some of the ways my current junior's college search will be different from her college freshman sister's:

New majors -- totally different college lists.

New FAFSA formula -- prior prior year.

New version of the SAT.

Kid decided she hates the SAT, so she'll be my first to do ACT.

Also first kid to have schools that require subject tests on her list.

New Coalition App didn't exist for previous kid, and my state U requires it.

New Common App essay prompts.

Some lessons learned, but nothing close to "autopilot."

Y'all can't just let a girl dream, can you?  :lol:

Seriously, you are so right.  Thanks for the reality check.  It isn't going to be smooth sailing with my next three  :mellow:

• Like 2

Exhaling....big breath...ds has finally heard from all 6 schools that he applied to. Four acceptances, one wait list, and 1 rejection. The wait-listed college strongly suggested homeschoolers schedule an interview. Ds never scheduled an interview.   The rejection had 30,000 applications for a freshman class of 1,700. 

• Like 4

Exhaling....big breath...ds has finally heard from all 6 schools that he applied to. Four acceptances, one wait list, and 1 rejection. The wait-listed college strongly suggested homeschoolers schedule an interview. Ds never scheduled an interview.   The rejection had 30,000 applications for a freshman class of 1,700. 

DD misunderstood the interview process for Vandy.  She requested an interview and then didn't see the note about coming back and finding a new interviewer if she wasn't contacted in 3 days.  Her interviewer never contacted her and since she didn't notice the note she didn't choose a different interviewer.  She expects a waitlist there at best  :tongue_smilie:  It happens.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

DS is exhausted and he is only a junior.  I just can't imagine it getting worse.  Not possible really.  The main problem we have is that his final exams are in November as we are on the Southern Hemisphere calendar, so I think from what you guys are saying, his junior year is his senior year all lumped into one.   :crying:  Even if it looks bad on his applications, I'm not going to let him take a university class in July-Nov term.  There is just too much travelling and breaking up of his day, which leads to time confetti which he is struggling this term to use effectively.  He is really struggling with the high school and university terms overlapping poorly from the point of view of any breaks.  Luckily for us, however, his application essay writing can count for English credits in the NZ national system, so that is about the best news we have had this year in terms of work load. Luckily, DS is not really stressing over getting into universities, and we have the finances sorted out to pay our EFC.  We have chosen a really good backup plan - ANU Australia National University, which is 6 months off of the USA in applications.  So if ds doesn't get in to any of his choices (and he is applying only to the elites) then he can apply to ANU *after* all the rejections.  He might even have guaranteed entrance given his exam marks.  But I will also have to say that *I* am getting overwhelmed with all the documentation and helping ds navigate the process. It is just so much easier to apply here.  You go on the website, fill in your name, address, telephone number, and give permission for your exam marks to be sent.  Then a couple of weeks later you get notified if you are in or not. That's it!

• Like 3

I don't know about my DS. He is a very steady guy. Even- tempered and hardly insists his way. He can be predictable yet sometimes hard to read. Even for him, April might be bit tough. Decisions to be made, colleges to revisit, tests to be prepare. He still has three more AP tests in May.

On the other hand, I am totally exhausted. I try to drag myself into planning summer or next year for the rest of DC, but it is not easy to focus. I need a vacation. Relaxing on the beach will do me good. 

My kid is exhausted, and I am too. This is my first time and we made a lot of mistakes. We are using the GI bill, a golden ticket, but with it comes the problem of having too many choices and a kid who kept changing her mind about what she wanted. Then she took a late SAT (November!) which raised her score so high we realized our school list could potentially change. And finally our whole plan was to retire to CA from VA in one year but it might change to two, and so potentially she could spend half her college career on the other coast than we are. Oh, and of course the in state tuition change that opened up all state schools to us but didn't get passed until January so we only knew for sure she would get in state tuition this past month! Argh.

Then comes March 30, the day she found out that she was rejected by her favorite choice, the one she had researched all the courses she would take, the dorm she would live in, the clubs she would join. It was rough.

So, yeah. It's been a long haul. She's bouncing back better than I am. The day after she found out about her rejection, she went away for a debate weekend and I became a blubbery mess from the realization that this is for reals and my kid is going off to college. Oof.

• Like 2