Menu

I just gotta Share! Chicken related :)

frugalmamatx

DD & I bought chicks back in MAY as a way to help stretch the budget and as pets. I'd just about given up hope of them laying ever and was actually talking about getting rid of them. 

GUESS WHAT WE FOUND IN THE COOP LAST NIGHT????????????????/

Our Very First EGG!

Still bouncing off the walls in excitement lol

post-86208-0-10441300-1490189139_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

Yay! There was an article in our paper a few months ago about a man who'd been working his mini farm. He said it took him a year to get his first egg. For some reason that's the only part of the article that stuck with me--waiting a year for an egg. You were close!

• Like 1

How do you feel about actually eating your first egg? I think I'd be too protective of it.  :laugh:

Idk if we'll actually eat them for a while lol. 

I took a friends tip and have been feeding them cat food to try to jump start the laying. But it can reflect in the taste unfortunately! 

• Like 1

Idk if we'll actually eat them for a while lol.

I took a friends tip and have been feeding them cat food to try to jump start the laying. But it can reflect in the taste unfortunately!

Pullet eggs are actually considered the best to eat by some cooks. They have a different, richer taste. I've only ever fed my chickens cat food when they're molting though, during which they aren't laying, so not sure how that impacts the taste!

Congratulations!  :hurray:

We are absolute chicken lovers here. We love our chickens - they are our feather babies.

I remember when our first egg was laid. And yes we took photos too  :)

We were so stressed - why was she just sitting there? Was she sick? Oh no, oh no. And then, ta da, a beautiful egg. It's so funny that we were so incredibly clueless back then.

I also remember the first time one of ours went broody. That stressed us out. Why is her belly naked?? Why is she just sitting there all day?  :eek:

Another scary 'first' was the first time we saw one sun-baking. Oh my. It's looks like they are dead  :willy_nilly:

We've learnt a bit since then, luckily.

• Like 2

We have chicks right now.

I never knew it took a year to get them laying. Wow.

If there would have been lighting to make up some of the difference in the sunlight, eggs probably would have happened sooner. We always had a timer with a lamp in the coop (14 hours of sunlight required for egg laying, I think) and had eggs year round. If chickens go just one day without that much light, it can cause them to stop laying or lay very little. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Not a year here.  First one was about 5 months old.  The others followed in about a month.   

Even though my buff orpington was the first to lay, the Rhode Island Red (industrial?) is my best layer - practically every day.  She is also the friendliest.