Menu

The word I just noticed "everyone" using and with which I'm not yet on board:

unsinkable

Yeah, my kids started using that one.  Where did that come from?

ETA: Since sounds like many haven't heard it yet, it seems to carry the meaning of cranky/snarky/pissy?  For those of you who are hearing it, is my old fuddy duddy understanding also how you're hearing it used?

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

Yep.

Salty showed up in our home about the same time as "throwing shade". 

DS: "Watch out for Big Sis today, she's salty because friend threw shade on her instagram post."

Me:  :confused1:

I think salty is almost cute.  It's definitely nicer than some of the words that mean the same thing, so I guess I don't mind. 

• Like 5

It's been in common circulation for at least three years. Salty=bitter, angry, annoyed. DD and friends say savage now. Ex) She just roasted you?! That was savage. Did you see her awesome wobble? I know, right? She was savage!

I have heard it. But I don't know what it means.

In dd's case, it seems to reference the flexing of her potty mouth and sharp witted insults.

I'm torn between pride in her skill and the feeling that I'm supposed to stomp it out.

• Like 3

Yeah, my kids started using that one. Where did that come from?

ETA: Since sounds like many haven't heard it yet, it seems to carry the meaning of cranky/snarky/pissy? For those of you who are hearing it, is my old fuddy duddy understanding also how you're hearing it used?

Yes, pretty much.

Yep.

Salty showed up in our home about the same time as "throwing shade".

DS: "Watch out for Big Sis today, she's salty because friend threw shade on her instagram post."

Me: :confused1:

I think salty is almost cute. It's definitely nicer than some of the words that mean the same thing, so I guess I don't mind.

I'm not supposed to know what these things mean because I'm "old", "outdated", and "out of it" but I do. I look at DD like this when she talks 😳 To preserve her sense of superiority. Inside I'm doing this 🙄😎😆. I remember doing the same thing to my mom and older brother. What?! You don't know what modied (mo-deed) means?!

In dd's case, it seems to reference the flexing of her potty mouth and sharp witted insults.

I'm torn between pride in her skill and the feeling that I'm supposed to stomp it out.

This, lol. Snark is totally common in my immediate and extended family so we tend to let the teens/preteens test their skills in house, within reason. The alternative is being a victim of someone else's snark. Not gonna happen.

• Like 2

The use of the word salty to describe people is not even a little bit new.  My grandmother, born in 1923, used it.  She died in 2010 and it's not likely she picked up the word as an old woman.  She was born, raised, married, raised a family of 9 and died all in or near Denver.  

I've always thought of it as a euphemism for racy and foulmouthed.  I can hear my grandmother's voice now.  I've read it and heard it elsewhere as well.  

I guess the current slang use is for pissed off.  Which seems like an evolution of the caustic and provocative senses of the word.  

Meh.  Language evolves regardless of how anyone feels about it.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 8

Salty has been around for at least a couple of years. I thought it was on the way out. My dd picked it up while she still lived her and still says it occasionally, but it was never a favorite. It is said more in a teasing way when it is used. "Feeling a bit salty?" when someone complains.

The use of the word salty to describe people is not even a little bit new. My grandmother, born in 1923, used it. She died in 2010 and it's not likely she picked up the word as an old woman. She was born, raised, married, raised a family of 9 and died all in or near Denver.

I've always thought of it as a euphemism for racy and foulmouthed. I can hear my grandmother's voice now. I've read it and heard it elsewhere as well.

I guess the current slang use is for pissed off. Which seems like an evolution of the caustic and provocative senses of the word.

Meh. Language evolves regardless of how anyone feels about it.

Been around the world. Seen a few things. That's the traditional use in my mind, aside from the obvious association wth seafaring life.

I've not heard it used in this new-century fashion.

• Like 1

I first noticed it was popular during the summer Olympics. I was following gymnastics coverage and saw a lot of people saying it to criticize Gabby Douglas. As in "why is she just sitting there looking salty instead of cheering for her teammate?"  So I gathered it meant, you know, the opposite of sweet. 

I first noticed it was popular during the summer Olympics. I was following gymnastics coverage and saw a lot of people saying it to criticize Gabby Douglas. As in "why is she just sitting there looking salty instead of cheering for her teammate?"  So I gathered it meant, you know, the opposite of sweet. 

But interestingly, it it means the same as sour.

• Like 1

I had a coworker that used it years ago. I had to figure it out from context. She was the only one I ever heard use it til much time had passed. I thought it was just her unique word lol.

"Do you think the ocean is salty because the sand never waves back?"

Edited by heartlikealion

It's quite funny hearing all the expressions cycle through over the years. I'm sticking with my oldies-but-goodies like cool and brilliant. They seem to be classic lines that never go out of style.  :laugh:

Just like fashion styles fluctuate and yet classic styles are always appropriate. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I first noticed it was popular during the summer Olympics. I was following gymnastics coverage and saw a lot of people saying it to criticize Gabby Douglas. As in "why is she just sitting there looking salty instead of cheering for her teammate?" So I gathered it meant, you know, the opposite of sweet.

That makes sense, that something made you notice its usage. And the funny thing is, I remember the Gabby situation but don't remember anyone describing her as salty.

It's been around and people have been using it...but I just noticed that it seems to be everywhere. Which of course it isn't everywhere, based on many responses here.

I love your name and profile pic! I have a bunch of strawbs and kiwi that I am using for a fruit salad today. I'm drooling thinking about it.

• Like 1

Ugh, my dd has been using that one for awhile. The first time she asked me why I was being so salty I asked her why she thought I was behaving like an old sailor.

At which point she informed me that now I was being cringy. I am also crusty when I am not being salty.

• Like 1

That makes sense, that something made you notice its usage. And the funny thing is, I remember the Gabby situation but don't remember anyone describing her as salty.

It's been around and people have been using it...but I just noticed that it seems to be everywhere. Which of course it isn't everywhere, based on many responses here.

I love your name and profile pic! I have a bunch of strawbs and kiwi that I am using for a fruit salad today. I'm drooling thinking about it.

Are you located near the West Coast? I heard my college kids use the word in that context for the first time last year, and now even my youngest kids have picked it up. Not sure if it's a neighborhood thing or a family thing

When I was teaching like almost 2 decades ago, my students used it all the time. I hadn't heard it since, certainly not recently.

I wasn't a big fan back that, and am not a fan now. I am also very much not a fan of "throwing shade" either.

I love both of these words. I think they describe certain nuances when no other word or phrase will do.

Kids are brilliant :D

• Like 1

No comprendo. :confused1: I'm too non-AF, I think. ;)

To the best of my knowledge:

YASSSSSS started when someone was filming Lady Gaga and thought she looked so good, he started yelling YASSSSSS! Gaga! bc he was so excited and happy. YASSSSS...was how he pronounced yes, plus he was so excited.

Relevant...same conventional meaning, but used as a put down often, like, "stop trying to be relevant."

AF... Short for "as f!ck." you can use it to modify almost anything. I'm tired AF. That was lame AF. He's old AF.

Basic... Something that everyone does, something not unique, ordinary.

Bish... B!tch

basic bish...someone who does all the trendy things that everyone else does.

Anyway...that's my take...

• Like 4

Are you located near the West Coast? I heard my college kids use the word in that context for the first time last year, and now even my youngest kids have picked it up. Not sure if it's a neighborhood thing or a family thing

No, not West Coast. Rust Belt.

I had noticed the word used here and there but my post was that I just noticed that it seems that everyone is using it now. Like it reached critical mass or something.