Menu

Interview clothes

brehon

I have a chance to promote to an executive level position within my organization. Problem is that I've worn uniforms for all of my working life and don't have business attire. *IF* I were to be chosen to fill the position, I would still wear a uniform similar to what I wear now.

I need help with what to wear to the interview. I've looked at business suits, executive business wear, etc and feel completely overwhelmed. What are some suggestions for interview attire? Links would be very handy, too.

I prefer not spending a huge amount of money, either. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. MedicMom, I honestly don't know what the preference is. The position is opened externally to the system; so, any outside candidates won't have Class As. Or, rather, won't have my system's dress uniform. And, in fact, I don't have full Class As, either. Just dress pants and a long sleeved uniform shirt which is currently the field staff's version of a dress uniform.

Diana, part of the higher administration/executive staff (my system tends to use those terms interchangeably, though they really aren't) -- the director, deputy director (the position for which I'm applying), and division commanders -- wear the same basic daily uniform as the field staff. This consists of dress or EMS pants (lots of pockets) and a short sleeved uniform shirt. I wouldn't think this would be appropriate for an interview.

I think I'll head to the thrift store this weekend to see if there are some nice looking slacks and blouses. I really appreciate both of your thoughts.

With all that taken into consideration, I definitely think nice slacks and a button down blouse are appropriate. You can add a blazer if it's more comfortable. I would not wear a skirt.

I'm in the(very long) process of leaving full time EMS(my company runs 18,000 calls a year and stubbornly refuses to let go of 24 hour shifts. It's too much.), and that is what I've been wearing to internship interviews.

• Like 4

Thank you both. I think y'all are right about the slacks and blouse.

MedicMom, my system still mostly follows the traditional 24/48 hr schedule and we run ~36000 calls per year. We also have demand trucks which run 12 hours shifts. You're right - it is hard. After 20 years on the streets I simply do not recover as easily when my unit runs all night.

One thing EMS as a profession is really bad at is having good career tracks for people who want to stay in the profession, but can't work on the units any more and can't afford the pay cut that is inevitable when you lose the guaranteed overtime inherent in the 24 hr schedule.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!!

Edited by brehon

I would opt for slacks unless you really like and feel comfortable in a skirt.  While it doesn't sound as if a jacket is necessary, I would prefer wearing a blazer or cardigan for a more polished, together look for a job interview.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I would opt for slacks unless you really like and feel comfortable in a skirt.  While it doesn't sound as if a jacket is necessary, I would prefer wearing a blazer or cardigan for a more polished, together look for a job interview.

Good luck! 

Thank you! I was poking around in my closet and actually have a pair of slack that (a) look nice, (b) fit me <ahem>, and © look nice on me. I don't have a decent blouse, though. I'm going to hit the local thrift store this weekend and see if I can find a nice blouse and maybe a blazer.

• Like 1

Thank you both. I think y'all are right about the slacks and blouse.

MedicMom, my system still mostly follows the traditional 24/48 hr schedule and we run ~36000 calls per year. We also have demand trucks which run 12 hours shifts. You're right - it is hard. After 20 years on the streets I simply do not recover as easily when my unit runs all night.

One thing EMS as a profession is really bad at is having good career tracks for people who want to stay in the profession, but can't work on the units any more and can't afford the pay cut that is inevitable when you lose the guaranteed overtime inherent in the 24 hr schedule.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!!

We work two 24s and a 9 to stay full time, but I've already cut back to 48. It's common to run five or six calls after midnight and I'm finding that I am just too exhausted. I sleep all the next day and then have one day left usually before I'm back to work. I know people who have managed the 57 or 72 hour workweek for years, but after a decade I'm starting to get really really tired(I'm sure that having three kids and a husband who works opposite 24s doesn't help either). I worked too hard for my certifications to just let them go, but I think it's a good part time career for me for a while. Maybe when my kids are older and I can sleep more during the day after, it will all be different.

Let us know how the interview goes!!! I'm excited for you.

Edited by MedicMom