Menu

In state and outof state and how it affects scholarships

LindaP

Hi, I have a son that has received full tuition, room and board at two different universities. We are a large family and qualified for quite a bit of financial aid federal and state. My concern is that as a family we may move out of state either this year and the near future. Will this affect his financial aid package?

Thanks,

Linda

Hi, I have a son that has received full tuition, room and board at two different universities. We are a large family and qualified for quite a bit of financial aid federal and state. My concern is that as a family we may move out of state either this year and the near future. Will this affect his financial aid package?

Thanks,

Linda

That's awesome.  Congrats.  I have no idea how this works, it would be a school specific question.  I just wanted to say congrats :)

Thanks,

Linda

First-- congratulations on DS's financial awards!

Second -- I assume both universities are in your state (since you are worried about a possible change in residency status)?

Totally speaking here as a GUESS, not with knowledge (lol), but... I would think it likely won't affect the actual financial aid award, but it could very likely impact future cost of the school, as out-of-state tuition is frequently $10,000/year more than in-state costs. So you may be looking at up to a $10,000/year increase in the total cost of attendance per year.

The best thing to do is to check what your state's residency laws are, AND call the two schools and discuss what their policies are.

As far as residency: for SOME STATES, as long as parents don't change state of residence before the student turns 18, the parents can move, and if the student remains year-round (doesn't move home to the new state to live with the parents) -- the student maintains state residency. In contrast, in SOME STATES, if the student is not yet 18, and the parents move, the dependent/under-age student's residency is determined by the parents' residency, even if the under-18 student remains in the original state to go to school.

BUT... every state is a bit different, so check what the rules of residency are for your current state where these 2 universities are. And esp. check with the universities about their policies.

FastWeb: State Residency Requirements

In State 101: State by State Rules

FinAid: In-State Tuition and State Residency Requirements

Edited by Lori D.