Menu

Deja Vu

lewber

Any of your children say they have lots of deja vu? My DS 14 has been noticing it enough lately to bring it up. I've had it several times through the years and didn't really think anything about it, but honestly it's freaking me out a bit with him. Which is probably mostly my anxiety and google!

Anyone have any experience ?

I have deja vu, or feelings of it. My personal opinion can not even explain what it is or even why it happens...For example, I was recently with my grandchild, X, and X was in front of me seated doing something at a table and speaking. I was standing behind X. We have never done that before but I had a very real memory of having seen this same scene with X. Then I remembered I had dreamed it and that when I woke up I said to dh that I had dreamed that A & B got married and had X and this is what we were doing together. Viola. So, that kind of stuff has happened to me many times. A window to the future through our dreams, it happens. We never thought that A & B would be able to have children.

It helps to keep a journal of it. 

• Like 2

He's never complained of headache or nausea. I did read about the epilepsy connection.

He seems more interested / fascinated by them- reincarnation, seeing the future type of curiosity. He doesn't seem scared during them but more wondering what they could mean.

Does he have a headache or nausea afterward? I started having "Deja Vu" or aura-type incidents, followed by dizziness and nausea at about age 13. Turned out to be seizures.

Yep. I had it happen for nearly as long as I could remember and it turned out to be epilepsy. 

• Like 1

Any of your children say they have lots of deja vu? My DS 14 has been noticing it enough lately to bring it up. I've had it several times through the years and didn't really think anything about it, but honestly it's freaking me out a bit with him. Which is probably mostly my anxiety and google!

Anyone have any experience ?

Does he have any other seizure symptoms?

Staring, losing his train of thought, far away look in his eyes?

The feeling of déjà vu could be a seizure.

• Like 2

My DD has jamais vu sometimes before a seizure.

OK, this was supposed to be in my last post.

I had to google that. Sort of the opposite of deja vu? Suddenly not recognizing surroundings or things you should know, is that correct?

Mine were always a sort-of hallucination or out-of-body type experience. I remember once standing in high school jazz band up against a wall, and suddenly I was in a completely blank/white room, watching my aunt clean out a China cabinet we had in our house. Next real thing I knew I had slid down the wall and was trying not to vomit all over my then-boyfriend/now-husband. Not fun.

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever experienced Deja Vu. One friend told me that meant I was a new life. Which I thought was pretty awesome but she then informed me that I was making all the mistakes that I am going to be reincarnated to fix. Hopefully, I am not messing things up too badly for my future selves.

It it could be a glitch in the matrix.

I hope it is nothing serious for your child.

• Like 1

Does he have any other seizure symptoms?

Staring, losing his train of thought, far away look in his eyes?

The feeling of déjà vu could be a seizure.

He has always had these. He's always been a day dreamer type with some ADD, but never anything that needed more attention. I've never noticed anything that seemed like a seizure at all.

Thank you everyone for your stories. I will keep an eye on anything that could be a seizure, and ask him more if he brings it up again. He seems a little disconcerted about them so I don't want to worry him. I will tell him the brain growing part and that he needs more sleep - he definitely needs that. 

He has always had these. He's always been a day dreamer type with some ADD, but never anything that needed more attention. I've never noticed anything that seemed like a seizure at all.

Thank you everyone for your stories. I will keep an eye on anything that could be a seizure, and ask him more if he brings it up again. He seems a little disconcerted about them so I don't want to worry him. I will tell him the brain growing part and that he needs more sleep - he definitely needs that.

The things I listed can indicate a type of seizure called an absence seizure.

This is from the epilepsy fdn site:

"Absence seizures cause lapses in awareness, sometimes with staring.

They are a type of generalized onset seizures, meaning they begin in both sides of the brain at the same time.

An older term is petit mal seizures.

They begin and end abruptly, lasting only a few seconds.

Absence seizures can be so brief they sometimes are mistaken for daydreaming and may not be detected for months.

They are more common in children."

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/absence-seizures

Not all seizures are tonic-clonic (grand mal or fall down and shake).

Seizures look different depending on what part of the brain is being affected.

Seizures can also start as one type and then generalize.

• Like 2

I had to google that. Sort of the opposite of deja vu? Suddenly not recognizing surroundings or things you should know, is that correct?

Mine were always a sort-of hallucination or out-of-body type experience. I remember once standing in high school jazz band up against a wall, and suddenly I was in a completely blank/white room, watching my aunt clean out a China cabinet we had in our house. Next real thing I knew I had slid down the wall and was trying not to vomit all over my then-boyfriend/now-husband. Not fun.

DD describes it as "unreality." She also has had fear responses at the beginning of seizures. She shrieks or screams and looks terrified before it generalizes. It scares the heck out of me when that happens.

The brain and its mysterious ways...

The things I listed can indicate a type of seizure called an absence seizure.

This is from the epilepsy fdn site:

"Absence seizures cause lapses in awareness, sometimes with staring.

They are a type of generalized onset seizures, meaning they begin in both sides of the brain at the same time.

An older term is petit mal seizures.

They begin and end abruptly, lasting only a few seconds.

Absence seizures can be so brief they sometimes are mistaken for daydreaming and may not be detected for months.

They are more common in children."

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/absence-seizures

Not all seizures are tonic-clonic (grand mal or fall down and shake).

Seizures look different depending on what part of the brain is being affected.

Seizures can also start as one type and then generalize.

I've not really ever seen this, but I will definitely be on the lookout. There's really no lapse in awareness that I can tell - mostly just thinking about other things that are more interesting to him :)

The brain is fascinating for sure. 

Thanks for sharing your daughter's experience. 

I've had it all my life. And it sounds nuts, but as an adult I've been able to realize some of the dreams I've had that were notable in some way and note upon them and they turn out to be the deja vu moments. Really weird, but it made me feel better once I realized they were connected to dreams. Y'all think I'm crazy, but seriously. If you get if often start a dream journal. You might be surprised.

I think what I had was deja vu. Any physiological or physical, brain, etc. thing you guys are talking about, in my opinion, is not deja vu and not drug-induced.

I'm not following you.

Are you kidding around? Like Deja Vu is a CSNY album?

Or that déjà vu doesn't have a physical component?

Or that it is some spiritual thing?

I'm not following you.

Are you kidding around? Like Deja Vu is a CSNY album?

Or that déjà vu doesn't have a physical component?

Or that it is some spiritual thing?

I'm half kidding. 

Did you read my other post?

About the dream I had, but did not remember it until recently because the dream of my past was the reality of now. The grandchild in my dream, I didn't know who the child in the dream was, until I had this recent experience and it hit my memory. I felt something like, wait, I've experienced this before...then I remembered the dream I had and it was exact. What the child was doing and talking about in the dream was the same as what was happening. I remembered telling my dh about the dream when I woke up. We didn't think we'd be grandparents from this couple, yet part of the dream included the couple (one of our kids). For reals.

Some of what David Crosby sings in that song has always resonated with me but I think more because I have felt like I knew people before I ever met them. Old friends I hadn't met yet. True story. So, spiritual. Physical too.

I'm half kidding.

Did you read my other post?

About the dream I had, but did not remember it until recently because the dream of my past was the reality of now. The grandchild in my dream, I didn't know who the child in the dream was, until I had this recent experience and it hit my memory. I felt something like, wait, I've experienced this before...then I remembered the dream I had and it was exact. What the child was doing and talking about in the dream was the same as what was happening. I remembered telling my dh about the dream when I woke up. We didn't think we'd be grandparents from this couple, yet part of the dream included the couple (one of our kids). For reals.

Some of what David Crosby sings in that song has always resonated with me but I think more because I have felt like I knew people before I ever met them. Old friends I hadn't met yet. True story. So, spiritual. Physical too.

OK. I think I get what you're saying. I had read your other post.

Thanks for elaborating.

• Like 1