Menu

Is there a test that can show a current Mono infection vs a previous one?

Tap

DD18 has a chronic health issue that results in lots of fatigue (POTS).  Her boy friend has been sick for a month and has finally been diagnosed with mono.  She was diagnosed with mono in middle school, but her test came back negative at the time.  The doctor said it was a false negative (common) and that he felt it was mono.  But now.....due to her POTS (first symptoms were about the same time but not diagnosed till last year with POTS), it makes me wonder if she had mono back then or not. It could have just been her first fatigue cycle.

Her fatigue/POTS has been way worse this winter than ever before.  She has missed 20 days of the past 30 from school due to fatigue.  Since her boyfriend has been diagnosed with mono, I am wondering if she actually has active mono now....not just a really bad flare of her POTS.  Or maybe, it is just her antibodies are really kicking up and creating symptoms, fighting against his mono. 

He had a cold about a month ago and then she got a cold a few days later.  She got well, he really didn't get well and it has lingered and gotten worse pretty much since then.  He is now covered in a rash head to toe, his throat is in extreme pain, heavy fatigue, fever, swollen spleen the whole list of symptoms. 

I am certain her doctor will order the blood test for me, but there is no point in testing if it won't show a current infection vs an old one. 

It won't change anything, other than possibly explain why she is so tired all the time.  

Is there are test that will show this?  Maybe a CBC to see in her immune system is in full fight mode?

Edited by Tap

I could very well be wrong... but my understanding is that a test would show if your dd currently has it.  I think I'd wonder about the false negative when she was in middle school, unless it was so early in the illness that it hadn't progressed enough to show up on the test.  It sure sounds likely that she could have it now, though!  Best wishes for a quick recovery for her!

• Like 1

DD18 has a chronic health issue that results in lots of fatigue (POTS). Her boy friend has been sick for a month and has finally been diagnosed with mono. She was diagnosed with mono in middle school, but her test came back negative at the time. The doctor said it was a false negative (common) and that he felt it was mono. But now.....due to her POTS (first symptoms were about the same time but not diagnosed till last year with POTS), it makes me wonder if she had mono back then or not. It could have just been her first fatigue cycle.

Her fatigue/POTS has been way worse this winter than ever before. She has missed 20 days of the past 30 from school due to fatigue. Since her boyfriend has been diagnosed with mono, I am wondering if she actually has active mono now....not just a really bad flare of her POTS. Or maybe, it is just her antibodies are really kicking up and creating symptoms, fighting against his mono.

He had a cold about a month ago and then she got a cold a few days later. She got well, he really didn't get well and it has lingered and gotten worse pretty much since then. He is now covered in a rash head to toe, his throat is in extreme pain, heavy fatigue, fever, swollen spleen the whole list of symptoms.

I am certain her doctor will order the blood test for me, but there is no point in testing if it won't show a current infection vs an old one.

It won't change anything, other than possibly explain why she is so tired all the time.

Is there are test that will show this? Maybe a CBC to see in her immune system is in full fight mode?

EBV serology (with additional immunoblotting if necessary) should be able to identify acute infection. CBC will not be helpful unless you are concerned about viral mediated bone marrow suppression.

EBV serology (with additional immunoblotting if necessary) should be able to identify acute infection. CBC will not be helpful unless you are concerned about viral mediated bone marrow suppression.

Thanks so much,  I will chat with her doctor about out options. 

:hurray: