Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search
Spudater

I �� You, oldschooler Moms

Just wanted to say thanks to all the oldschooler/veteran/retired homeschooling parents who stick around on the boards and generously share their experience and encouragement! I really appreciate your help and perspective, even though sometimes I forget to say so when I'm freaking out over some homeschooling problem.

Yes, I also appreciate those who stay on these boards after their dc have graduated and keep sharing their wisdom. 

I try to pay it forward and contribute to the primary school threads on the K-8 board.

Yes! You are invaluable, and help me feel like this whole crazy thing might actually work out...

Thank you, please stay!

We do it because we  :wub: y'all.

I'll be "retired" in about 2 1/2 months, and I plan to stick around!

Edited by G5052

Just wanted to say thanks to all the oldschooler/veteran/retired homeschooling parents who stick around on the boards and generously share their experience and encouragement! I really appreciate your help and perspective, even though sometimes I forget to say so when I'm freaking out over some homeschooling problem.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:   Yes!  This board has been invaluable.  I'm so appreciative!  

LOVE having the folks here with great experience and hindsight.  There's nothing like being encouraged by those who have BTDT.  Thanks y'all!

Another grateful mom trying to glean all I can! The advice and the BTDT helps reassure me so much. Thanks!

Once a homeschoolers always a homeschoolers. Homeschooling sometimes changes the life of the parent more than the child. We gain a confidence and meet more of the world than is the norm. We read more books. We do more art. The time isolated from the norm lets us find ourselves a bit. The lower income means we often need to learn some creativity and frugalness. The list goes on and on and on.

We don't stop self-educating when the youngest is done. It becomes a life long habit that is as natural a breathing. We keep wondering. We keep noticing.

And we recognize homeschoolers across a large room or park, because we know our own. We are like the dogs meeting in a park. It is instinct.

Just like a doctor doesn't even really stop being a doctor. He can't turn it off. Or a retired preacher. Some ballet dancers even at 90 years old, just have that way of moving.

There is something about the self-education process that is life changing.

Once a homeschoolers always a homeschoolers. Homeschooling sometimes changes the life of the parent more than the child. We gain a confidence and meet more of the world than is the norm. We read more books. We do more art. The time isolated from the norm lets us find ourselves a bit. The lower income means we often need to learn some creativity and frugalness. The list goes on and on and on.

We don't stop self-educating when the youngest is done. It becomes a life long habit that is as natural a breathing. We keep wondering. We keep noticing.

And we recognize homeschoolers across a large room or park, because we know our own. We are like the dogs meeting in a park. It is instinct.

Just like a doctor doesn't even really stop being a doctor. He can't turn it off. Or a retired preacher. Some ballet dancers even at 90 years old, just have that way of moving.

Because liking this wasn't enough.  :001_wub: this Hunter! 

Amen and amen! 

So true!

This is absolutely true. I will always be a homeschooler. The decision to bring my daughter home was a defining moment in my life.

I have many goals and dreams for my children in this homeschooling process.

This is my goal for me.

Edited by MamaStephanina

. . . and I cannot actually believe I'm an Oldschooler.

I sorted through our 25yo dd's old homeschool papers yesterday.

Lots of papers, lots of wonderful memories . . . and a realization that lots of years have passed!

Truly, it's a joy to encourage this next generation here.

Thanks for the "shout-out". :)

The WTM book and then forum has been an anchor for us these past 20 years!

I really appreciate all of your wisdom as well. As a homeschooling mom to lots of littles it is easy to get caught up in the little things of the here and now and it becomes really difficult to look beyond that. All of the BTDT advice and wisdom is what helps me get through those tough moments and helps me see the larger picture, and that it will work out in the end. Your advice always helps me calm down and realize that the current curricula or book, etc. I am fretting and stressing over won't make or break my child's education. :). Thank you again to all of you.

Having such a big age spread between my oldest and youngest means that I've been around for a long time, but I have a long time yet to go! It's really weird to think back on how I did things with my oldest before the internet, and how differently I do things now with my youngest, because there are so many more resources available.