Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search
Sign in to follow this  
simka2

Parking in Chicago near Amtrack

Last time I travelled on amtrack finding parking was a relatively easy affair. This time not so much. We will be gone for about a week and need to find a place. Ideas?

Oh, I see. You would like to take a train from Chicago to New Orleans.

Don't park downtown. Rather, park somewhere on a Metra line in the suburbs and take the Metra or the el downtown. One possibility might be to take advantage of airport long term parking and take the Blue Line in from O'Hare. If you look at a map of the Metra lines, you can start googling long-term parking in the towns that run along the line.

• Like 4

That's what I was thinking.  There used to be some good off-airport parking businesses on Mannheim - I am guessing they are still there.  They have free shuttles to the airport.  From there you can get a blue line train and get to Union.  

I've never tried this for overnight parking, but perhaps the website/app "SpotHero".  I imagine you'd pay a LOT more for a downtown spot than finding a suburban lot near the Metra though...  I've found it great for day trips.

Could anyone drop you off and pick you up later? Or get a cab or limo? Save time and no need leave car in some odd spot (and pay parking). From where I am, I can walk to the Metra station and get into Chicago - if the train runs when I need it to. What if your Amtrack leaves or gets in when Metra only runs once an hour or (middle of the night) not at all?

Edited by JFSinIL

The City of New Orleans leaves Chicago at night (arriving in NO in the afternoon) and leaves NO in the afternon and arrives in Chicago the next morning. Usually Amtrak doesn't get too far off schedule on that run, so it should be easy to check schedules for other transportation. Union station is easy to navigate, IMO.