Menu

What to serve with Indian Butter Chicken?

PeterPan

For dd's birthday masquerade party, I think I'm going with indian food. Not authentic probably. Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com I keep hearing about Butter Chicken, and this looks good enough to me. What would you serve with it for sides? This will be the main course, about 14 people. Appetizers the first hour will be cheese/meat tray, grapes, cookies, that kind of thing. 

I was assuming I'd do the butter chicken and the pita bread to wipe up sauce. Do people really eat rice with it? Any simple way that is tolerably good? I don't even eat white rice, and I don't combine starch and protein like that, so it's foreign to me. I wanted some kind of vegetable as well. And are there small sides that sort of fit with the decadent indian theme? Easy to make? :)

Do they eat some kind of cucumber salad? Green beans?

Edited by OhElizabeth

You can serve it with Naan bread (yes, you can substitute with Pita bread if you want), roti, pilaf or plain white basmati rice as sides. There are a lot of indian vegetable stir fries as side dishes - cauliflower, carrots, green beans etc. Pick one that is easy for you to make. The common accompaniment to spicy Indian dishes is a cucumber+yoghurt salad called raita. It is an easy dish to make and the recipe varies a lot depending on which website you look at.

• Like 4

What a coincident. We are having butter chicken for dinner tonight.  :drool: This is one of our favorite meal. I usually serve it with basmati rice, naan, cilantro, and cashew nuts. It is really good with mango chutney or cucumber salad. As an appetizer, I'd recommend samosa. If you have Trader Joe near by, you can buy mango chutney and samosa. 

Good luck and happy birthday to your dd. 

• Like 4

Agree with mathnerd.  One option would be Aloo Gobi.  Ever watch "Bend it Like Beckham?"  The director and aunties cook it as an extra on the DVD. 

And definitely do the Riata.  

(http://allrecipes.com/recipe/212882/aloo-gobi-masala-cauliflower-and-potato-curry/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%204)

Samosas are a typical app if you want to include the Indian flavors early in the meal, and you can find them premade in the frozen section of Trader Joes if you have one near them. 

Edited by Elizabeth 2
  • Like 2

Baguette is what we eat it with if you don't need to stick to theme. My aunt just put in baby potatoes into the butter chicken curry as well so enough starch for us. Basmati rice or roti prata is what we eat it with if we go to an Indian cafe.

While Trader Joe's samosas are nice and bite size, we have an India Cash and Carry supermarket near enough to buy warm samosas from there.

• Like 1

At home, we have naan and basmati with it.  Sometimes, if I have a lot of leftover sauce (and not so much chicken), I'll mix in some small, boiled potatoes.

If we were at our favorite Indian place, we'd eat samosas & onion chutney.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Samosas are a good as appetizers if a little spice kick in the appetizers is OK for your crowd - they are available frozen in Trader Joes and Costco. Or, buy them at your local Indian grocers (they will take pre-orders if you want to order many).

• Like 1

Yes, basmati rice is an important side! We always order saag paneer (spinach in a creamy sauce with paneer cheese cubes), aloo gobi (cauliflower and potatoes in a tomato sauce with some green peas). And naan. Naaaaaaaaaaaan.

Or Chapatis!~  I grew up with chaptis (thinner than Naan and from the South end of India) and they have just started selling ready to fry/bake/pan seer chapatis at Costco!  I am in HEAVEN!

• Like 2

Or Chapatis!~  I grew up with chaptis (thinner than Naan and from the South end of India) and they have just started selling ready to fry/bake/pan seer chapatis at Costco!  I am in HEAVEN!

Are they frozen? Or are they sold in a bag in the bakery like the naan?  Do tell! 

• Like 1

Plain rice or plain pulav (pilaf) is definitely eaten with curries. Any type of flatbread (chapati / roti / naan/ pita) would also be a great choice. If you have an Indian restaurant nearby, you could order a tray of vegetable fritters (pakodas) to serve as appetizers. It would come with two types of chutneys. There are different types of raitas that you could serve with a spicy curry. Although cucumber is common, so is a tomato and onion raita. A plain dal (made with yellow lentils) would also be a good side dish. There are lots of dal recipes on the web.

For vegetables, a potato dish is pretty common.

http://www.archanaskitchen.com/sukhi-aloo-sabzi-indian-spiced-potatoes

You dont need to have all the spices mentioned in the recipe.

Hope your dd has a great birthday party!

• Like 1