Menu

Pockets - men's vs. women's

Night Elf

My daughter wears men's shorts. Hates leggings and all that. She prefers skirts when not wearing men's shorts.

I wear cargo pants. I purchase them from http://www.511tactical.com/womens/womens-pants.html for those who don't fit in men's pants. I do fit in men's pants so sometimes I just buy men's. 

Nothing makes you shop in the women's section. If you like men's pants better wear them. I know men who are around 5' tall too. So they do have short pants out there. 

Nothing makes you shop in the women's section. If you like men's pants better wear them. I know men who are around 5' tall too. So they do have short pants out there. 

Uhhh no way.  I have never seen pants for 5 ft tall men in any store.  My dad is 5 ft 4 and can't find pants in many stores.  Best luck he has is in a local Army/Navy type shop where they have unusual sizes.  There he gets the smallest possible size of one brand. 

I am old enough to remember when women's pants had usable pockets. They get tinier and tinier. But, I just bought a new pair of jeans that have cell phone pockets. Amazingly, these pockets are the size that pocket used to be. I will be purchasing more of these jeans.

• Like 2

Possibly because few women put anything into the pockets in their pants? Assuming their pants have pockets. I think most women here wouldn't put anything thicker than a credit card into their pants pockets, although I do see people with cell phones in their back pockets on the street, which is a great way to have one stolen or to lose one. I think since women carry purses, that most often, if their pants have pockets, they are not used?

Many of us women would be delighted to have decent pockets. I hate carrying a purse.

I don't carry stuff in my pockets because the only way to get decent sized pockets is to buy men's clothes, and those don't usually fit well.

Maternity clothes are even worse--they pretty much never have pockets at all.

Yes I am bitter about this issue.

• Like 3

Uhhh no way. I have never seen pants for 5 ft tall men in any store. My dad is 5 ft 4 and can't find pants in many stores. Best luck he has is in a local Army/Navy type shop where they have unusual sizes. There he gets the smallest possible size of one brand.

You won't find pants at regular stores for my son either, he is too tall. Or for my daughter except for men's shorts. Regular chain stores carry only the top of the bell curve. Either you go to a giant Nordstrom with special sections or a place that tailors clothes, or order online. That is a reality for anyone not directly in the middle of the bell curve. I guess I just assume you are very very lucky if you can just walk into a store and find an item of clothing made just for you. I learned that long ago.

You won't find pants at regular stores for my son either, he is too tall. Or for my daughter except for men's shorts. Regular chain stores carry only the top of the bell curve. Either you go to a giant Nordstrom with special sections or a place that tailors clothes, or order online. That is a reality for anyone not directly in the middle of the bell curve. I guess I just assume you are very very lucky if you can just walk into a store and find an item of clothing made just for you. I learned that long ago.

No but you said nothing stops people from shopping in the men's department.  Height stops me from shopping in the men's department.

Of course anyone could potentially buy custom made clothing, but I don't want to spend that kind of money!  Nordstrom is probably one of the most expensive clothing stores I've ever seen.  Well no, I've seen even more expensive, but that's truly not in my price league.

Yeah those are outside my budget.

I can afford the stuff on clearance at Target and Wal-Mart.

Same here.

I did luck out on jeans last week at Walmart.  $9 on clearance and they fit amazingly well!  If I didn't think I'd lose more weight I would have gone back and bought whatever they had left that fit.

• Like 1

https://www.rei.com/product/861361/rei-co-op-classic-sahara-convertible-pants-womens-petite

I know that sometimes you have to pay more for things to actually fit. Trust me it is sometimes frustrating but if you buy high quality stuff it lasts years and years. I have worn the same three pairs of paints for about 3 years now and they have not sign of wear. If you buy the cheap Walmart stuff it falls apart very quickly. I bet we spend the same amount (actually I probably spend less for myself) than almost anyone on this board. I have three pairs of pants. I have worn them for years. I have four pairs of socks. I think I bought my last pair before my trip to Arizona 4 years ago. 

My boys are harder on stuff though. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

https://www.rei.com/product/861361/rei-co-op-classic-sahara-convertible-pants-womens-petite

I know that sometimes you have to pay more for things to actually fit. Trust me it is sometimes frustrating but if you buy high quality stuff it lasts years and years. I have worn the same three pairs of paints for about 3 years now and they have not sign of wear. If you buy the cheap Walmart stuff it falls apart very quickly.

Pretty much all of my jeans I've had for years are from Walmart.  I have no complaints about the quality.  I think low quality is assumed, but it has not been my experience.

I'll take a look at the link.

I'm willing to pay more for something I really like that I think I'll wear a lot, but it has to be something pretty special.  Run of the mill jeans I can get at Walmart..not so much.  Ya know? 

Pretty much all of my jeans I've had for years are from Walmart.  I have no complaints about the quality.  I think low quality is assumed, but it has not been my experience.

I'll take a look at the link.

I'm willing to pay more for something I really like that I think I'll wear a lot, but it has to be something pretty special.  Run of the mill jeans I can get at Walmart..not so much.  Ya know? 

Yes, if you aren't hard on clothes anything might work. The woods and biking and other stuff really tears stuff up though and trust me I've had my boys go through Walmart stuff in less than a week. It is hard for me to buy quality for them when they are going to outgrow it anyway. KWIM

We can't get ANY run of the mill jeans at Walmart. My son's inseam is pushing 38" now and my daughter like I said can only wear men's shorts. No pants go around her calf. Period. I'm sure there are some out there. Since her growing is slowing down I might check athletic stores since surely athletes have more muscle on their leg so I'm willing to spend more then. 

I would be happy that you can buy cheap pants at all! Not that I wouldn't complain about pockets but from my viewpoint that seems lucky enough in itself. We are exacatly rolling in the dough over here. :)

Yes, if you aren't hard on clothes anything might work. The woods and biking and other stuff really tears stuff up though and trust me I've had my boys go through Walmart stuff in less than a week. It is hard for me to buy quality for them when they are going to outgrow it anyway. KWIM

We can't get ANY run of the mill jeans at Walmart. My son's inseam is pushing 38" now and my daughter like I said can only wear men's shorts. No pants go around her calf. Period. I'm sure there are some out there. Since her growing is slowing down I might check athletic stores since surely athletes have more muscle on their leg so I'm willing to spend more then. 

I would be happy that you can buy cheap pants at all! Not that I wouldn't complain about pockets but from my viewpoint that seems lucky enough in itself. We are exacatly rolling in the dough over here. :)

Oh yeah there is no hiking and biking going on here.  LOL

So definitely I can see this would make a difference.

My inseam is 24.  :lol:  

But being super tall would be probably even more challenging.  I can hem stuff (although it is never the same after), but it isn't really easy/possible to add length to pants. 

• Like 1

Yeah too bad they don't make shorter ones though. 

I'm kinda baffled by the fact they don't.

That stinks. They have women's but I'm guessing you need petites. I think my 5' 2" mom shops at Sears a bit. 

There are some things like the hiking pants above that they don't make in tall. It is strange as I have checked multiple companies. I guess tall people don't hike. 

That stinks. They have women's but I'm guessing you need petites. I think my 5' 2" mom shops at Sears a bit. 

There are some things like the hiking pants above that they don't make in tall. It is strange as I have checked multiple companies. I guess tall people don't hike. 

even petites are too long, but usually not so long I can't just deal

Or hem like you said above. My mom does that too sometimes. I had a SIL who just bought children's for basic house pants not her dress clothes of course. She wanted to look grown up sometime but for around the house no big deal. I was jealous of how cheap she could get a pair of pants. Even my younger boys are about into men's. It's no wonder I'm broke!

• Like 1

My inseam is 24. :lol:

That is a tough one to find. My aunt would get the super skinny pants, cut off the excess length and hemmed. We have good luck getting that length at Marshalls for jeans. I can take a 27" or 28" inseam so not that hard to find for me in the size 8-20 boys dept.

Wal-Mart Wrangler cargo jeans last a long time for my boys even with all the trips to the beach. We buy only when it is on sale though.

ETA:

Dry cleaners shop does alterations around here.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

I would love to not carry a purse all the time. Dh can have 5 or 6 useful pockets where I have nothing big enough for my cell phone (I'm old. I need a big screen to see stuff.) It's a pain to walk the dog because I always need a jacket or a bag.

No pockets for cell phone when walking the dog? No problem. That's what sports bras are for ;)

• Like 1

Ok, I replaced my ladies Lee jeans with ladies Levi's and the pockets are definitely smaller. The Levi's medium length is a bit longer than the Lee's average length. I used to buy tall in Lee's jeans and the length was just right. I bought a tall Levi's and DH said they were way too long. He suggested I try their medium length and if that didn't work to have the tall length hemmed. The medium is okay while standing up but short when I sit down. I can live with it.

I haven't tried on men's pants since I was a young adult. I might give it a try.

Our dry cleaners does alterations and I take DH's pants there. My mom gave me a sewing machine but I stuck it in the storage room. I am never ever going to attempt sewing of any kind.

• Like 1

I hate this. I despise purses and don't own one. I put my cards and money in one back pocket, cell phone in the other back pocket, chapstick in a front pocket (I seriously lose at least one a week) and keys in front pocket. I often have a zip up hoodie of some sort on, so I can usually use the roomier pocket on that for my keys. My current favorite has two deep inside pockets as well and I'm loving the pocket space!

Last year for a Doctor Who convention, I dressed up at the 10th Doctor (a male character) and wore a 10th Doctor trench coat

The pockets in that thing!  Oh my goodness!  You would not BELIEVE the amount of stuff I got in that man's coat.  It had two inner breast pockets and ginormous pockets on the outside.  It was the best three days of my life.  My hands were freeeee.  Chapstick wasn't falling out of the 1/2 inch pocket in my normal pants.  I had a brush and spare reading glasses and my entire wallet and a phone and keys and the chapstick and hairsticks and my tickets and a notepad and a pen and a copy of War and Peace and a potted plant in those pockets.  With room to spare.

We're going to the convention again this coming weekend and the part I'm most looking forward to is wearing that coat with those pockets.  And I'm not kidding.  I've been thinking about those pockets all week.

Sounds awesome! I did Osgood for last comiccon, but I'd love to cosplay the 10th. Maybe that will be my plan for this year! FanX was just last weekend, but I ended up just doing a renaissance dress and TARDIS dress for a bit but mostly just wore regular clothes. No DW guests so I wasn't as into the cosplay aspect. 

• Like 1

Honestly, when it comes to clothes to some extent you get what you pay for.  Adding decent pockets means extra labor and extra fabric, which adds to the cost of the garment.  Since many shoppers are looking for a bargain and will forgo the pockets if it means a cheaper price, there is less incentive for the manufacturer to include the pockets.  

I find "hiking skirts" have more pockets than those sold as fashion-oriented skirts, and if you get them in black they can sometimes pass for an ordinary skirt.  But even the hiking industry seems to be moving in the direction of knit skirts with a waistband and two side seams, rather than a more labor- and fabric-intensive, functional skirt with a quality fabric and decent pockets.  Even companies like Travelsmith and the other travel-oriented companies seem to have given up on the "passport pocket" in skirts in favor of multi-pocket "travel vests" (which are less than fashionable).