Menu

Tips for Using BA & CWP as Supplements to MM?

EngOZ

We received our shipment of BA and CWP about 2 months ago, after a few members highly recommended them for us to try as supplements. My goal is to add more word problems to my dd's math learning.

So far both of my girls love doing CWP. Depending on the problem, we might go hard 3,4,5 of the easy problems, or just 1,2,3 of the medium-hard problems. 7yo dd currently uses the Miquon Math Blue Book and CWP has become her favourite. I can see that Miquon - CWP is a really good fit for her and we mostly do the problems together as she is very social and vocal.

Question

The reason why I'm considering BA is that my oldest dd is pretty mathy. The material looks like it will greatly challenge and benefit her. But I'm reluctant to tackle it, mainly because 5th grade is about my math level and, again because of time. 

I like BA and it's word problems, and I wouldn't mind setting CWP aside so that my oldest dd can try out BA (she loves the cartoons and has expressed a desire to try it). However, we're also having so much fun with CWP and it's so easy for me to use that we've just stuck to it. We're afterschooling, and we want to make good use of our time - so far CWP has met this need.

My oldest dd is using MM 5A, so would BA be a good fit?

Should I leave out BA and just stick to CWP, or give BA ago - maybe 1-2 months?

How would you schedule BA, do you go from start to finish with BA or by topic to align with mm (current 5A)?

Edited by EngOZ

BTW, BA (and AoPS in generally) is notoriously difficult to schedule.

My 2c: use BA for a set amount of time each day and however much gets done is good.

If you don't feel that the entire program is worth your limited time, the games in the guide book are really good value.

• Like 1

I didn't know that about BA, but thanks for the heads up  :001_cool:

It'll be interesting to see how others schedule it to make it work for them.

BTW, BA (and AoPS in generally) is notoriously difficult to schedule.

My 2c: use BA for a set amount of time each day and however much gets done is good.

If you don't feel that the entire program is worth your limited time, the games in the guide book are really good value.

We do a set number of minutes each day. Sometimes he'll finish one page and sometimes he'll get through 5. Really depends on the chapter and problems.

DS switched from MM, to MM with BA as a supplement to now BA and I supplement with MM if I feel he needs extra practice with a concept.

Do you mind sharing your plan on how you supplement MM to BA, and BA to MM.

We do a set number of minutes each day. Sometimes he'll finish one page and sometimes he'll get through 5. Really depends on the chapter and problems.

DS switched from MM, to MM with BA as a supplement to now BA and I supplement with MM if I feel he needs extra practice with a concept.

I am a huge fan of BA. We used it in addition to Singapore math, but didn't try to schedule topics together. We are just going through the books for a set amount of time each day. We started with level 3 while in Singapore 4 and are now in 4D. We've completed Singapore 5B and still find a lot of value in BA. BA has the full solutions in the back of the book. They are very helpful especially if you are concerned about teaching it. We also use CWP, but only one problem per day on a white board. For me, trying to coordinate them would be too much. I just appreciate each one for what it teaches and plan them into our daily schedule.

• Like 1