Menu

Well Trained Bodies - 3/19/17

Granny_Weatherwax

I had doubles tennis tonight (mixed and men's - with me being the only woman). It was fun, and there were a lot of great rallies so I was moving around. Sadly, I lost all 3 matches, which isn't so fun. I'm really happy with some aspects of my play, though, such as my serve. This is often the weak part of my game. I didn't double fault at all tonight, and didn't lose my serve as much as I usually do, so that's quite positive. 

• Like 5

Great job on the tennis!! So glad you are feeling well enough to play. 

Keep plugging away at the weight loss. Often it takes time before you see the weight loss as your body composition is changing with your intense workout schedule. If you're putting on more muscle, that weighs more. So while you may be losing body fat, at the same time you're adding dense, more heavy muscle matter. 

Have you noticed any positive changes in your energy level (aside from the illness), the fit of your clothes, or your strength and endurance?

You're doing amazing! Keep going and you'll see results. 

Agreed on all of this.  Plus it reminded me of something I heard in a podcast interview with Dr. Jason Fung today.  He was saying that he doesn't feel that weight or BMI tell you much of anything useful.  What he looks at in his patients is HA1c and waist circumference.  He said he has treated people who were normal weight and BMI, but a high waist circumference revealed a problem.  Following his protocol, their weight might not change, but their waist circumference would drop, their HA1c would drop, and they would get better muscle tone.  So their body composition was changing, even when the weight did not.  He said you want your waist circumference to be half (or less) of your height.

So, just throwing that out there for consideration.  I've gotten frustrated with how quickly my weight fluctuates, so I'm thinking once a month I'll measure my waist circumference instead!

• Like 2

What are some basic poses that you would suggest? How often do I need to do them to get benefit?

Are you interested in a video?

I liked the idea of yoga but could never find anything I actually enjoyed doing until I found Jane Adams. She has a few different videos...and yes, they're intended for "senior" audiences, but they have lovely scenery and are so nice and gentle. Her Gentle Yoga DVD has 7 short practices; I love the Morning Energy and the Balance segment.

Anyway, here's her site: http://www.janeadamsyoga.com/the-dvd-s.html

(I bought mine on Amazon.)

• Like 2

So many people on here do yoga. I am a yoga flunk-out, but I feel like I should try to do some. Years ago, I took a class and 1) The instructor kinda weirded me out with too much "Ommm" stuff and 2) She pushed my back on a stretch (I have very tight hamstrings so it can look like I'm not trying when I am) and it hurt and I decided it wasn't for me. 

I would like to do some gentle yoga. 

What are some basic poses that you would suggest? How often do I need to do them to get benefit? 

What are you hoping to accomplish with yoga? I don't think it is for everyone, really. If you are super tight it could be beneficial to work on some flexibility as that can be a problem as we age. I would just start with a gentle dynamic warm-up, throw on some music and shake and bounce, windmill the arms(with control), give yourself hugs, bounce the knees, squat down gently, hip circles, that kind of stuff. Then you can simply work on toe touches standing and seated - I wouldn't hold at first - go in and out of the movement then hold it for 10 sec on/off, then have 1 longer hold. If you are really tight you might want to sit on a cushion in seated position. As far as yoga stuff goes you could look at a classical sun salutation or sun salutation A for some general exercises that hits most areas. I'd throw in some bridges for the backside and some stretches for the shoulder(most of us have tight shoulders- especially so with all the computer stuff we do but you have to watch the shoulders) - I like puppy stretch for shoulders or even just holding eagle arms. And work on the ATG- ass to grass squat- that would be my basics. YMMV as to what your body needs. 

Do you guys have any favorite fitness/healthy-eating podcasts that you enjoy?

I don't really listen to any, although occasionally I have listened to Katy Bowman, that is about it, otherwise I might catch snippets of this and that when I see something that catches my eye.

Wow! That looks hard. I'm impressed. The name of the exercise - L Sit - caught my eye because today we did an exercise where we hung from a bar and pulled up our knees and extend our legs horizontally to make an L with our bodies. I was able to do it a couple of times and hold for the full five seconds, but the rest of the time I could just pull up my knees.

Yes, it is similar to that move. In the full l-sit you do have legs extended, I can only manage that for the smallest fraction of a second now I am thrilled with where I am at though, my abs were non-existent after my last baby it has taken a lot of work to get here!

I guess I'm actually of a similar mindset.  A few carefully selected poses, I would probably enjoy.  But I don't care for an hour of it, and I think some of those poses are . . . of questionable safety and efficacy.  

I have a few trouble spots where I am tight, but I'm generally pretty flexible, and have almost too much flexibility in some joints.  But I should think about putting together a little sequence of poses to address those problem areas.

Yes, from previous posts it sounds like you need to work more on strength than flexibility(it is too easy to hang out in your joints when you do have that flexibility- I am not uber flexible but more so than some and I have to watch certain areas that I don't overstretch). I would totally agree there are actually plenty of poses that don't have any functional benefit and some downright dangerous or potentially dangerous, and some that lead to lots of trouble when done repetitively. There are teachers out there looking to make changes to come in line with what we know about the body today but change takes time. 

I had doubles tennis tonight (mixed and men's - with me being the only woman). It was fun, and there were a lot of great rallies so I was moving around. Sadly, I lost all 3 matches, which isn't so fun. I'm really happy with some aspects of my play, though, such as my serve. This is often the weak part of my game. I didn't double fault at all tonight, and didn't lose my serve as much as I usually do, so that's quite positive. 

Way to look at the bright side and your improvements.

Agreed on all of this.  Plus it reminded me of something I heard in a podcast interview with Dr. Jason Fung today.  He was saying that he doesn't feel that weight or BMI tell you much of anything useful.  What he looks at in his patients is HA1c and waist circumference.  He said he has treated people who were normal weight and BMI, but a high waist circumference revealed a problem.  Following his protocol, their weight might not change, but their waist circumference would drop, their HA1c would drop, and they would get better muscle tone.  So their body composition was changing, even when the weight did not.  He said you want your waist circumference to be half (or less) of your height.

So, just throwing that out there for consideration.  I've gotten frustrated with how quickly my weight fluctuates, so I'm thinking once a month I'll measure my waist circumference instead!

Ha, for a second I had it in my head that I was only 54 in. tall, which makes my goal weight circumference less than 27, I haven't hit that since kids. BUT I am actually 64 in tall :) Which makes my goal 32 or less, I am around 28 or so now. I'd like to make it in the 27 in range but we will see. I am lucky in that I tend to carry my weight in my hips and thighs.

Re: yoga

I want to do yoga.  I avoided the yoga classes at my old gym because my former therapist often did the yoga classes at my old gym, and she does not adhere to professional boundaries.

Guess who's now going to my new gym?

Argh, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to her either, geez.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I still haven't made any parallettes bars so I have to use my yoga blocks, which don't stay still very well.

I think you should spring for the higher parallel bars like in gymnastics. It's a lot easier to do the L-sit when you can swing your legs up to get some momentum!  :laugh:

• Like 2

I did pretty much the same thing yesterday. Lost all the bouts, but left happy. Now that it is sunny outside, I do think that playing in a stronger company is better for you. I may pity the people who have to fence me, but then they probably get a little confidence boost from fencing me, and I get a very good practice.

And on the topic of weight and measurement, the waist may not necessarily reflect early progress either. My weight is very stable (until it jumps, but then it is stable again), and when I went through a period of a very intense martial art/cardio kickboxing training, my weight didn't change, my waist barely changed, and all the fat/muscle replacement happened in my legs and arms. It all depends where your fat storage and subsequent loss mostly happens. After a while it is supposedly spreads everywhere, but in the beginning you may not see it. I used to also measure my arm in in biceps area and my thigh. 

• Like 3

My plan was to go skiing this morning, and I had predictions that the snow would be hard and fast. I woke up to masses of fresh powder. Ds 13 and I decided to go anyway and hope that the grooming machines had done their magic. Sadly, they hadn't been out at all. So we skied in "primitive conditions" of deep, powder snow.  :laugh:   It was more tiring than groomed, of course, but very fun (I thought, ds thought differently). I kept telling him that this is character building training for elite athletes! We tried out 2 new trails; #30 was a gentle uphill on our way out, and Penguin was a steep downhill on the way out. On the way back it was mean Penguin uphill all the way, and nice #30 to the parking lot. I love Penguin, and ds hates it. He fell twice, which always makes things a little more tiring. I bought him some french fries on the drive home as a reward for his hard work and minimal whining.  :lol: 

• Like 3

And on the topic of weight and measurement, the waist may not necessarily reflect early progress either. My weight is very stable (until it jumps, but then it is stable again), and when I went through a period of a very intense martial art/cardio kickboxing training, my weight didn't change, my waist barely changed, and all the fat/muscle replacement happened in my legs and arms. It all depends where your fat storage and subsequent loss mostly happens. After a while it is supposedly spreads everywhere, but in the beginning you may not see it. I used to also measure my arm in in biceps area and my thigh. 

It's the location of fat around the middle that is a health indicator, not necessarily weight loss indicator. More fat stored around the middle is linked to many health issues. 

• Like 3

What are you hoping to accomplish with yoga? I don't think it is for everyone, really. If you are super tight it could be beneficial to work on some flexibility as that can be a problem as we age. I would just start with a gentle dynamic warm-up, throw on some music and shake and bounce, windmill the arms(with control), give yourself hugs, bounce the knees, squat down gently, hip circles, that kind of stuff. Then you can simply work on toe touches standing and seated - I wouldn't hold at first - go in and out of the movement then hold it for 10 sec on/off, then have 1 longer hold. If you are really tight you might want to sit on a cushion in seated position. As far as yoga stuff goes you could look at a classical sun salutation or sun salutation A for some general exercises that hits most areas. I'd throw in some bridges for the backside and some stretches for the shoulder(most of us have tight shoulders- especially so with all the computer stuff we do but you have to watch the shoulders) - I like puppy stretch for shoulders or even just holding eagle arms. And work on the ATG- ass to grass squat- that would be my basics. YMMV as to what your body needs. 

Thank you!

I would like greater flexibility.  I have some flexibility exercises I do --but not as regularly as I should and having an unconnected assortment impedes my getting them done, if that makes sense. They've all been recommended by a PT somewhere along the line. .  I thought a yoga sequence might be helpful because the stretches would have an order and flow into each other instead of : Now I will stretch my quads, now my shoulder, now... I currently do Zumba and weightlifting, so things like squats, bridges, bouncing, hip circles are pretty well incorporated into those. I can do a full squat to the ground, but it's a little tight. I started trying that out recently. 

I will look up the puppy stretch and the eagle arms. I hadn't heard of those poses before. 

• Like 3

It's the location of fat around the middle that is a health indicator, not necessarily weight loss indicator. More fat stored around the middle is linked to many health issues. 

I know that. What I was trying to say is that the fat in that particular area may be the first to go, or it may be the last, depending on the body. So even if the waist line doesn't change immediately, it doesn't mean that no changes are happening.

• Like 3

I know that. What I was trying to say is that the fat in that particular area may be the first to go, or it may be the last, depending on the body. So even if the waist line doesn't change immediately, it doesn't mean that no changes are happening.

:iagree:   I have some stubborn fat in the backside region that is clinging like mad. It just won't go.  Be gone, stubborn fat!     :cursing:

• Like 3

Sure, that's appreciated too!  I like to listen to podcasts while I do boring chores like dishes and laundry.  Makes them a little less boring.   :001_smile: But websites are great too.

Here are some of the ones I visit regularly: 

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/

http://www.prevention.com/

http://www.health.com/

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/

https://www.nerdfitness.com/

• Like 3

Thank you, Laurie! I've been to a couple of those websites, but not all of them. I appreciate your help.

Regarding the weight circumference measurement, Dr. Fung's primary concern, of course, is the health of his patients and not their appearance. So he chose that measurement because of the link between visceral fat of the abdomen and metabolic and other health problems. I just found it really interesting because I hadn't heard anyone else put that much emphasis on it before. There's no perfect measurement I guess, but that might be one to add to the toolbox.

• Like 2

This morning I played ladies doubles (90 mins) and then Cardio tennis (60 mins.). I only had one coughing fit while playing; my energy was about 75%.  After tennis, I went out to lunch at Chipotle I wish I had just gone home. Chipotle is usually a safe choice for me and I have never been glutened there. Well, I was glutened today and barely made the 45 min drive home from the City. 

• Like 4

This morning I played ladies doubles (90 mins) and then Cardio tennis (60 mins.). I only had one coughing fit while playing; my energy was about 75%.  After tennis, I went out to lunch at Chipotle I wish I had just gone home. Chipotle is usually a safe choice for me and I have never been glutened there. Well, I was glutened today and barely made the 45 min drive home from the City. 

Glad the tennis was a success. Sorry about the meal. What do you mean by "glutened?" Did you accidentally get served food with gluten, and you have a sensitivity or allergy?

• Like 1

I'm not happy that I'm not losing weight. It's frustrating to me to feel icky all of the time. There are times I just want to cry. I am tired of being overweight and I really thought that an intense workout schedule combined with dieting would help. Ugh.

I totally understand.  I am about 3.5 months into a fitness challenge and haven't lost a pound according to the scale. The scale has gone up and if one more person tells me that I am gaining muscle.  I have heard that my entire life and should be now a bodybuilder LOL.  I know something is working as my walking miles have gotten faster and so has my elliptical endurance.  My clothes are not as tight so I can see that.  One day that stupid scale will go down.  

So the kids and I have entered two "fun races" in the next few months.  And as a way to show my DD that we need to try things that we might not be good at, I have signed up for ice skating lessons.  I have never ice skated so this should be interesting. I have banned DS from filming this.  

• Like 5

I totally understand. I am about 3.5 months into a fitness challenge and haven't lost a pound according to the scale. The scale has gone up and if one more person tells me that I am gaining muscle. I have heard that my entire life and should be now a bodybuilder LOL. I know something is working as my walking miles have gotten faster and so has my elliptical endurance. My clothes are not as tight so I can see that. One day that stupid scale will go down.

So the kids and I have entered two "fun races" in the next few months. And as a way to show my DD that we need to try things that we might not be good at, I have signed up for ice skating lessons. I have never ice skated so this should be interesting. I have banned DS from filming this.

I hear ya. I keep telling myself that it's not about the pounds but it's hard to really believe it. I said that I'm not going to use the scale, but then I'll sneak a step on it and ugh.

• Like 2

I hear ya. I keep telling myself that it's not about the pounds but it's hard to really believe it. I said that I'm not going to use the scale, but then I'll sneak a step on it and ugh.

The scale and I have come to an understanding since my last weigh in.  We will only see each other once a month.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 4

I need some ideas here. So I have been lifting and have seen results. I'm not entirely happy with the way my legs look. Although those encouraging women to lift keep emphasizing that women can't get bulky muscles, I'm seeing bulk. So what's that all about? Yeah, I'm not as bulky as a body builder, but I'm not seeing Jillian Michaels' legs either. I would call my legs bulky. What's that all about?

• Like 2

I need some ideas here. So I have been lifting and have seen results. I'm not entirely happy with the way my legs look. Although those encouraging women to lift keep emphasizing that women can't get bulky muscles, I'm seeing bulk. So what's that all about? Yeah, I'm not as bulky as a body builder, but I'm not seeing Jillian Michaels' legs either. I would call my legs bulky. What's that all about?

Reduce the weight you are lifting and do more repetitions. Use only free weights, so that you are working all the stabilizing muscles, and not simply isolating a couple muscles.

• Like 5

I hate floorwork, barre, and pilates, but I've heard a lot of women get great results in their legs and glutes from doing those types of workouts.  Also, like the above poster recommended, lighter weights/higher reps would be better for someone who bulks easily.  

• Like 4

You could also try Tonique workouts - there are some on youtube.  Very high rep.

• Like 3

Well after a week of sick kids and no working out we are all better again and I got my hour cardio class in tonight. Dh taught half of class and his coworker taught the other half. It was the best of both worlds because dh focuses on the cardio aspect while his coworker is all about weight training. I know my arms and legs will hurt tomorrow.

Down another pound from last week. That's 14 pounds since Feb 10th

• Like 8

Extended family issues and dying cell phone cut my walk short today but I still got 1/2 hour in. Fridays are supposed to be kind of active recovery days so that was ok. The scale has acknowledged my efforts 2 days straight after almost 2 weeks of undulating numbers so I am hopeful. For me scale is correlated with ab measurements which is what I am really looking to decrease, but the tape measure shows change more slowly than a scale, so it is an encouragement,

• Like 4

I finished week 2 of my 5-days-a-week fencing plan. On one hand, it is a good thing, on the other it means only one week left till the first competition. I definitely see a difference in my stamina (I not only added additional days, but they consist of more fencing at a time), not sure about my skills. So, 5 days of about 2 hours of solid sweating, and I am holding my weight. I drop a little first day of the week, then gain it back after one day of not exercising, which makes me think that I lose salt, and so water.

• Like 3

My training has been excellent so far. Nothing strenuous but we have been pretty active as we are practicing what we will be teaching. I was really sore yesterday, especially in my upper body, I had hoped maybe I would get my workout in before class today but I don't know. I slept horribly, 2, 2 hr stretches is not enough for a busy day. I will have to take a nap during lunch time for sure and I had really wanted to join the ladies or lunch :( I planned good food but the teacher has Celiac's too so bought gf pretzels and cookies and I indulged more than I should have. Here's hoping for energy to get through the day.

I finished week 2 of my 5-days-a-week fencing plan. On one hand, it is a good thing, on the other it means only one week left till the first competition. I definitely see a difference in my stamina (I not only added additional days, but they consist of more fencing at a time), not sure about my skills. So, 5 days of about 2 hours of solid sweating, and I am holding my weight. I drop a little first day of the week, then gain it back after one day of not exercising, which makes me think that I lose salt, and so water.

It could also be that you retain water through the week from muscle soreness.

• Like 2

I think you should spring for the higher parallel bars like in gymnastics. It's a lot easier to do the L-sit when you can swing your legs up to get some momentum!  :laugh:

Ya, that would be sweet, if I had room! Maybe when the kids leave! 

Thank you!

I would like greater flexibility.  I have some flexibility exercises I do --but not as regularly as I should and having an unconnected assortment impedes my getting them done, if that makes sense. They've all been recommended by a PT somewhere along the line. .  I thought a yoga sequence might be helpful because the stretches would have an order and flow into each other instead of : Now I will stretch my quads, now my shoulder, now... I currently do Zumba and weightlifting, so things like squats, bridges, bouncing, hip circles are pretty well incorporated into those. I can do a full squat to the ground, but it's a little tight. I started trying that out recently. 

I will look up the puppy stretch and the eagle arms. I hadn't heard of those poses before. 

Sun salutation is a very popular sequence you could check that out, otherwise you might check out some videos online, you might search youtube for , yoga for hips, yoga for shoulders, etc, that would probably get you what you wanted. Yoga with Adrienne is good, she is very down to earth and fun and has a ton of videos.

:iagree:   I have some stubborn fat in the backside region that is clinging like mad. It just won't go.  Be gone, stubborn fat!     :cursing:

Mine is my hips, every since this last baby they've really expanded. 

Glad the energy is better. Sorry to hear about Chipolte. I haven't ate there a ton as there isn't one where i live but I have found them to workers to vary greatly in their knowledge and understanding. 

I totally understand.  I am about 3.5 months into a fitness challenge and haven't lost a pound according to the scale. The scale has gone up and if one more person tells me that I am gaining muscle.  I have heard that my entire life and should be now a bodybuilder LOL.  I know something is working as my walking miles have gotten faster and so has my elliptical endurance.  My clothes are not as tight so I can see that.  One day that stupid scale will go down.  

So the kids and I have entered two "fun races" in the next few months.  And as a way to show my DD that we need to try things that we might not be good at, I have signed up for ice skating lessons.  I have never ice skated so this should be interesting. I have banned DS from filming this.  

I've had those periods too, where my body refuses to budge, I've finally figured out during those times i have to focus on the improvements in fitness and sticking with it, things i can control because alas we just can't control everything. Of course even trying my best I end up highly annoyed and aggravated at times. 

I need to sign the kids up for some more here, we did some last year and had fun. Good for you for trying the ice skating it is good to try new things.

• Like 2

I went on my weekly snowshoe and had the most beautiful hike ever! The snow was still stuck to every single branch in the woods. It was like a wall of white when I walked into the forest. Just breath-taking. Near the end of the hike the temps had risen enough to cause the snow to start falling off the branches, and this light blanket of powder snow was softly falling all around. The snow was also really soft and not too deep, making the hiking lovely as well. What a way to finish off the month! 

Dh and I have our competitive doubles matches this evening. I get to partner up with the same lady as last time. I can't wait! We're playing the team I usually spare with, too, which will make things even more interesting.  :D 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

Today was supposed to be hike and weight-lifting day, but I have a really bad cold. I'm going to see if I feel a bit better as the day progresses. I might just call it a rest day and let my body focus on fighting this thing.  First cold since the start of the school year. Considering that I work with kindergarteners who can "forget" and cough and sneeze in one's face, not to mention pick their noses, etc. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my immune system has brought me this far unscathed. 

• Like 4

I'm not happy that I'm not losing weight. It's frustrating to me to feel icky all of the time. There are times I just want to cry. I am tired of being overweight and I really thought that an intense workout schedule combined with dieting would help. Ugh.

I'm right there with you! I haven't lost anything in weeks and it's so frustrating! I'll admit to actually crying at least once. I've been working out daily eating tons of vegetables and lean protein and hardly any bread or dairy or sugar. I don't know what else to do. And now I can't even workout. The Dr. said I may be able to walk on my ankle ok in another week but it'll probably be around 8 weeks til it's mostly healed. So that means only light workouts for a while but nothing right now. I've been pretty frustrated about the whole thing this week. I've been eating pretty well for breakfast and lunch but giving up by dinner. I know that won't get me anywhere either though.

• Like 3

I'm right there with you! I haven't lost anything in weeks and it's so frustrating! I'll admit to actually crying at least once. I've been working out daily eating tons of vegetables and lean protein and hardly any bread or dairy or sugar. I don't know what else to do. And now I can't even workout. The Dr. said I may be able to walk on my ankle ok in another week but it'll probably be around 8 weeks til it's mostly healed. So that means only light workouts for a while but nothing right now. I've been pretty frustrated about the whole thing this week. I've been eating pretty well for breakfast and lunch but giving up by dinner. I know that won't get me anywhere either though.

Think of this journey as a marathon, like your homeschooling journey. You are on the right path to life-long health. You are there already. The weight WILL come off, but try not to think of it as the one and only goal you are trying to achieve. 

• Like 1

Not much to say, just wanted to send you a hug.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Think of this journey as a marathon, like your homeschooling journey. You are on the right path to life-long health. You are there already. The weight WILL come off, but try not to think of it as the one and only goal you are trying to achieve.

I keep telling myself that my ultimate goal is health and fitness-and that is a big goal. I'd just like my body to show how hard I've been working. Even my "cheating" at night hasn't been terrible because I don't keep junk in the house. Last night it was homemade whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter and raw honey. There are worse things. The past couple times I've been grocery shopping I've wanted to get a sweet treat for myself but I haven't. I'll plan to but then not be able to bring myself to buy something so full of sugar, chemicals, such a large portion, too much money, etc. It's both satisfying that my good habits are becoming so ingrained and frustrating because I really wanted something. LOL Not that I don't eat sweets. My younger brother and sister might come over to hang out tonight and we'll probably have pizza (homemade) and ice cream.

• Like 5

In addition to factors such as sleep and stress impacting our hormones in such a way as to influence weight gain, and the importance of hydration, I've come across another couple of influences that I thought might be interesting to talk about as we try to make healthy food choices and exercise. 

When you think of the food you just ate as "indulgent", the hunger hormone (ghrelin)  goes down after eating it. When you think of it as "healthy" it rises again!  Study: (summary by Yale where it was done; http://news.yale.edu/2011/05/24/mind-over-matter-you-are-what-you-think-you-eat

Suggested solutions; Focus on what was indulgent about your meal, make choices with indulgent textures http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20568347,00.html#do-you-always-eat-healthy--0

"Exercising" triggers your desire for a reward and influences your food choices: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11002-014-9301-6

This  study was fascinating to me:

• People who were told a 1 mile walk was for fun ate less hedonistic food afterward than people who were told it was exercise. (The amount of main dish food they consumed was the same.) 
  • People who were told a walk was for sight-seeing served themselves about 1/2 the number of "thank you for participating" M&Ms than people who were told it was exercise!
  • People's snacky eating after a race was inversely related to how fun they thought the race was! 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11002-014-9301-6

My thoughts: the way I have been able to lose weight is through eating a LOT of veges and fruit. I wonder if that is part of the cycle described in the first article in which I am perceiving my choices as healthy, so I am hungry more often. I will have to notice actual hunger and see. I tend to take a look at what I've eaten so far that day and go in search of another serving of fruit or vege (if I can) to get my totals up rather than relying on hunger signals. 

The exercise thing is very interesting. I genuinely enjoy hiking/walking outside, Zumba, and the feeling of exercise. I don't particular enjoy the act of weight lifting or strength training but I like the challenge of beating myself and I like the way my body feels afterwards. I've never really counted calories or paid attention to how many calories were burned off by the exercise I just did, but reading this makes me wonder if I've made unconscious choices toward more indulgent eating without specifically connecting the dots. I have noticed that I feel a pull to my shopping indulgence of picking up a new clothing item at a thrift shop when I've exercised or done something otherwise challenging. I wonder if finding other "rewards" for "exercising" could create a detour from "indulgent food as reward." 

What are your thoughts? Have you observed these phenomena in yourself? What are your ideas about how to change the mind-body connection in a way that works for your goals? 

• Like 2

I keep telling myself that my ultimate goal is health and fitness-and that is a big goal. I'd just like my body to show how hard I've been working. Even my "cheating" at night hasn't been terrible because I don't keep junk in the house. Last night it was homemade whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter and raw honey. There are worse things. The past couple times I've been grocery shopping I've wanted to get a sweet treat for myself but I haven't. I'll plan to but then not be able to bring myself to buy something so full of sugar, chemicals, such a large portion, too much money, etc. It's both satisfying that my good habits are becoming so ingrained and frustrating because I really wanted something. LOL Not that I don't eat sweets. My younger brother and sister might come over to hang out tonight and we'll probably have pizza (homemade) and ice cream.

You are definitely doing awesome!!  I'm the exact same way - I try really hard to keep the chemical-sugar-laden food out of the house.  And my body isn't craving the real junk anymore. Sugar, yes, but I'll do the healthy option stuff like pure maple syrup (I'm not a fan or honey and I can't eat peanut butter). 

Brava, brava!!

• Like 2

Regarding the weight circumference measurement, Dr. Fung's primary concern, of course, is the health of his patients and not their appearance. So he chose that measurement because of the link between visceral fat of the abdomen and metabolic and other health problems. I just found it really interesting because I hadn't heard anyone else put that much emphasis on it before. There's no perfect measurement I guess, but that might be one to add to the toolbox.

This has worried me for years, because that's where I always have and always will gather my fat.  

You know how people tend to envy skinny (fit or not) bodies?  I've always envied people with even fat distribution, whatever their size. Instead, I've got these pixie ankles and delicate wrists, arms and legs (at least to the upper thigh area) that tone easily, and then this completely out of proportion apple middle.  It's frustrating when looking for results, when trying to buy clothes, and when thinking about my health.

Anyway, I gymed today to make up for yesterday.  I successfully upped my weight for the last set of every upper body exercise, so that was exciting and should make next week challenging!

My new game with myself is to decrease my cardio time while keeping my calorie burn the same. (I know it's not an accurate calorie burn, but it's a consistent number to suit my purposes.)  I know trying to split fat loss programs and strength training programs is less effective than focusing on one or the other, and I do want to focus on strength training, but I'm kind of excited about my cardio gains!  I feel like a petulant teenager, lol.

As far as weight change, over the past 2.5 months I've gone up about 6, down 4, up 3, down 5, up 2...  So I'm still over starting weight, but I feel really, really good, and I'm kind of in love with how my shoulders are looking! I'd still prefer to be more evenly distributed.  ;)

• Like 3

This has worried me for years, because that's where I always have and always will gather my fat.  

You know how people tend to envy skinny (fit or not) bodies?  I've always envied people with even fat distribution, whatever their size. Instead, I've got these pixie ankles and delicate wrists, arms and legs (at least to the upper thigh area) that tone easily, and then this completely out of proportion apple middle.  It's frustrating when looking for results, when trying to buy clothes, and when thinking about my health.

Pixie ankles would be lovely. Enjoy them and show them off!  I've got no ankles to speak of. My calf just runs down into the top of my shoe.  :hat:

• Like 3

I felt pretty crappy yesterday and didn't force myself to work out.  I really wish that I had, because resting doesn't help me feel any better anyway.  I wish I could get that through my head, and just make myself workout even when I feel bad.  I need more willpower!  I did do a little walk at sunset with my daughter, but that was it.

We just got back home from the gym, and had a really good weight workout.  Daughter joined us this time, so that made it extra fun.  The great thing about doing weights with two other people is that you get a nice long rest period while they're doing their sets!  :D  I kicked it up a notch on my leg routine, so I may get sore, but that's okay!

Same here!  I have long, slender limbs, which is great, and a short, thick, dumpy torso, which is distinctly not great.  When I check clothing size charts, I measure one size in my hips and bust, and three sizes larger in my waist!  It's so annoying!  It's hard to find clothes that fit, and even harder to find clothes that are flattering.  I would have no complaints at all about gaining weight if it would evenly distribute, and especially if it would give me some nice feminine curves.  But no, it all goes to my belly and makes me look pregnant.   :banghead:   I know that part of my thick waist measurement is just my weird bone structure and there's nothing I can do about it.  But the belly fat does concern me.  My grandmother died from diabetes complications, so that possibility is not something I take lightly.  And I know that my insulin sensitivity is not as good as it could be (reactive hypoglycemia).  That's why I ate low-carb for so many years, and I really loved it until the migraines hit.  But I still need to moderate my carb intake more than I have been lately.  It's a tricky balance to get it to where I can control my weight, but not to where it makes the migraines worse. 

Congrats on your cardio accomplishments!

• Like 3

When you think of the food you just ate as "indulgent", the hunger hormone (ghrelin)  goes down after eating it. When you think of it as "healthy" it rises again!  Study: (summary by Yale where it was done; http://news.yale.edu/2011/05/24/mind-over-matter-you-are-what-you-think-you-eat

Suggested solutions; Focus on what was indulgent about your meal, make choices with indulgent textures http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20568347,00.html#do-you-always-eat-healthy--0

I think this must help explain why I loved low-carb dieting for so many years.  I always thought of low-carb foods as indulgent!  Filet mignon with steamed asparagus and butter.  A fluffy omelette filled with fresh veggies and cheese.  Grilled salmon with roasted broccoli.  Brie with berries for dessert.  I absolutely love low-carb foods!  They are filling and satisfying and delicious!

Of course, I can still eat those foods.  But the problem now is that it's a constant struggle to have a little bread, not half the loaf!  Some potatoes, not a mountain of potatoes.  And don't even think about opening that package of Oreos because it is absolutely impossible to eat just one.  Or just three or just five for that matter!  My body simply has no "I'm done" signal when it comes to starchy or sweet foods!  

I'm not sure that the exercise one is as true for me, though.  Maybe it is, and I'm just not aware of it.  But I generally enjoy the way that I feel after working out, so that feeling itself is enough reward, and I don't think that I turn to food as a reward for completing the task.  I will try to pay attention to that, though, and make sure.

Very interesting stuff.  Thank you for sharing it!

• Like 3

I did get my work=out today, did 2 sets this am, 1 this pm. Plenty of movement today during training. Food has been meh. Overall not bad just more snacks than usual and I'm drinking wine tonight, hoping it helps me sleep better, I've got to teach 2-4 y.o.'s yoga tomorrow morning I need to be happy, chipper and energetic. 

Laurie - get well soon

Greta = kudos on your workout. I've had a hard time finding the right carb level for me too. I never did keto but i used to feel great on lower carb, these days I don't but SAD carb level doesn't work for me either. 

allison- I bet the ids are thrilled and I totally understand you on the putting stuf together that has been y wee, it wears you out.

carrie = great on your work out and liking your body is more important than the numbers, it is hard to annoy the scale though.

wintermom= good luc on your game

• Like 4

"Exercising" triggers your desire for a reward and influences your food choices: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11002-014-9301-6

What are your thoughts? Have you observed these phenomena in yourself? What are your ideas about how to change the mind-body connection in a way that works for your goals? 

Very interesting. I don't know how that relates to me. I like healthy food, sometimes I want more of it, sometimes I can't stop eating carbs, an sometmes my boy just doesn't work right. I can see that if you think of healthy food as torture you won't be able to keep with the "diet". 

With exercise, it seems to depend on the duration level for me more than anything, shorter and more intense my appetite decreases, long sessions(2hrs+) even if really low intensity and I'm starving

• Like 3

Greta = kudos on your workout. I've had a hard time finding the right carb level for me too. I never did keto but i used to feel great on lower carb, these days I don't but SAD carb level doesn't work for me either. 

Thanks!

Yeah, there's got to be a happy medium for me somewhere between keto and SAD, but I haven't found it yet!  I'll just keep experimenting, I guess.  I counted carb grams very carefully when I was doing keto, and I had done it enough that it became quite easy.  So I could go back to that.  But if I can manage it, I think I'd rather just eyeball serving size and count/limit that instead.  

Very interesting. I don't know how that relates to me. I like healthy food, sometimes I want more of it, sometimes I can't stop eating carbs, an sometmes my boy just doesn't work right. I can see that if you think of healthy food as torture you won't be able to keep with the "diet".

With exercise, it seems to depend on the duration level for me more than anything, shorter and more intense my appetite decreases, long sessions(2hrs+) even if really low intensity and I'm starving

For me intense exercise seems to curb my appetite. Strolls and light exercise makes me crave junk so weird!

• Like 3