Menu

Frugalistas come on in. March 19-25

mommyoffive

I splurged a bit financially - Ebay sent me a $15 off of $30 coupon, so I got: a Wii Power cord, Wii Fit game, Wii balance Board, and Wii Dancing game. I needed to power cord for our handmedown Wii system, and the Wii Fit stuff was for me so I can hopefully start working out more. After the coupon it was just under $16, so I'm happy with that 

Today was also the last day before bulk pickup is scheduled, so dd & I walked the neighborhood with a wagon and got: 1 Lawn bench, 1 large plastic outdoor table, a ton of chicken wire of assorted types. a few pavers, odds and ends boards, multiple plastic fencing panels, and a few pieces of concrete siding. Very happy with the bench and table - those plus our current bench means we now have an outdoor picnic table area! So thrilled about that with summer heat already starting - often it's cooler outside rather than inside during part of the day. 

• Like 3

Still waiting for the fallout of the medical stuff.  So far I've only received two tiny bills.  Last week I had a chiro follow-up and this week I have follow-up with the chiro and an MD.  Also my kid hurt her finger, was afraid it was broken, so she wanted to get it looked at.  Chiro appointment costs roughly $50.  Turns out that it was nothing serious, thankfully.

ETA:  latest EOB says my $2,000 individual deductible only has $96 left on it, which I've used up in chiro visits already, so yay?  Not really sure how it works after that.  Live and learn ....

ETAA:  looks like on top of my individual deductibles, I have to pay 20% "coinsurance" up to $1,500 additional per person (plus copays forever), and also, our chiro coverage is limited to 12 visits per year.  Still waiting for bills to see how much of that $1,500 I've already met ....

I bought a bunch of Easter candy for a fundraiser and shared it with my extended family.  I renewed three annual student sponsorships and made a donation to Shriner's Hospital.

I ordered some school clothes for my rapidly-growing kid, which will still be useable next school year.  Also ordered some practice workbooks to supplement the school's math curriculum.  I paid $59 for an online summer camp program for one kid.  Also I signed both kids up for a free biweekly creative writing "club."  Summer camp 2017 should be a lot cheaper than 2016, for various reasons.

The household is buying a new fridge and washer/dryer after 22+ years.  The washer/dryer will be front-loaders, which I'm told is more efficient, so yay us.  :p  Here's hoping these appliances last for a couple few decades, after which time my kids can buy the next replacements.  :p

Not much else to report - just essential routine stuff.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

Last week was ok

Just normal grocery which was right at our weekly high.

One kid had a birthday so picked up take out, balloons, streamers, and cake.  I would like to stop getting the balloons as they are expensive and after that nobody really cares.  But then it seems rather sad.

No presents because our upcoming trip is this kid and the kid (who has a birthday in 2 weeks) gift. 

Oh and we bought chickens at the store.  It actually saved me money as I was going to order some.   My kids love chicks so this is money well spent as it is the one thing they play with all summer. 

I am starting to look at summer and spring classes.  Found a science class for the oldest for 2 days for only $15.

Still trying to figure out where we are going in Europe.  It keeps changing. I really need to get it figured out.  Plus figure out where to go next.

I am buying some life insurance for dh and myself this week. 

Pay the car tags

Grocery store yesterday was almost up to our budget.   I really need to try and get it lower.

• Like 1

I can't find my phone so I can't give a detailed account of how things are going budgetwise for the month but I do know we spent $180 on groceries this week. Also, $40 on a babysitter on St Patrick's day, well worth it!! We went to a friend's house and played Pathfinder and drank a bit.

One of my financial goals for the year is to create one stream of passive income. This month I've been reading tons of books and blog posts about the topic. My brothers and I have also been bouncing ideas back and forth. We have one concrete idea that has moved from the idea phase and is heading into the planning phase. We should be meeting up soon to discuss the actual details of getting it started.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 2

I can't find my phone so I can't give a detailed account of how things are going budgetwise for the month but I do know we spent $180 on groceries this week. Also, $40 on a babysitter on St Patrick's day, well worth it!! We went to a friend's house and played Pathfinder and drank a bit.

One of my financial goals for the year is to create one stream of passive income. This month I've been reading tons of books and blog posts about the topic. My brother's and I have also been bouncing ideas back and forth. We have one concrete idea that has moved from the idea phase and is heading into the planning phase. We should be meeting up soon to discuss the actual details of getting it started.

So exciting.  I hope it works out.  

I am on this right now.  Actually I forgot to put it in my expenses as I spent 100 bucks on getting it started. 

Ran to the store to get some things and 90 bucks later came out.  Ugh.    I will probably return some of that, but not much. 

Dropped off 10 bags to donation.   I still have some more upstairs ready to go. 

Some how I hurt my knee.  I have no clue how.  I am limping around.  I hope it heals.  

• Like 1

So exciting. I hope it works out.

I am on this right now. Actually I forgot to put it in my expenses as I spent 100 bucks on getting it started.

Ran to the store to get some things and 90 bucks later came out. Ugh. I will probably return some of that, but not much.

Dropped off 10 bags to donation. I still have some more upstairs ready to go.

Some how I hurt my knee. I have no clue how. I am limping around. I hope it heals.

I hope it works too, it'll be months before we know if and how well it will work. Good luck with your endeavors!

Ugh, I hate buying more than I planned at a store!!

10 bags is great. We dropped 6 bags off on Sunday. It felt great and has motivated me to keep getting rid of stuff. Once it warms up we're tackling the garage. That's really the only area still out of control.

Hope your knee heals quickly.

• Like 1

hjffkj- good for you for trying to find a way to bring in some money. 

skl- medical stuff is so annoying, I swear they look for ways to screw you over.

mommyoffive- great job on moving all the stuff out, and good luck on your possible income stream.

Grocery spending on budget, got the regular at Aldi's and stocked up on some specialty stuff at Big Lots & Menards(they have a surprisingly big section of Bob's Red Mill).

Took the kids to the movies with a gift card, they split a soda and I let them bring in $1 candy.

I got a cabinet from dh's mom for my living room, I just need to buy some stain to refinish it. She also has a box spring i can use for dd2, which saves me a chunk of money. I've told dd that whatever we earn from selling the bed in there now she can use to spruce up her room, she is the only girl not moving rooms and feeling a bit left out with all this work on dd1's room. 

Dh picked up the loft bed I got for $200 on Craigslist, mattress included. It lists for $1600+ online- double woot! It has some scuffs here and there but I am very pleased with it, especially so for the price. I bought her a big fluffy pillow for $20, otherwise I think she will be set for her room, I have curtains and a quilt that she can use. I would like to repaint it at some point(it is bright pink) but I'll likely use extra paint we have around here.

I went to Menard's last night as they had advertised some raised garden bed kits but when I looked at them, I wasn't impressed. I ended up getting 2x12s and having them cut them as the cost was a hair cheaper and it was 4inx4in bigger and 1 in thicker boards. I had them cut them there as dh's truck is out of commission and I thought it worth the $12 to be able to save dh the trip. Well, it took 45 min+ for them to get my boards. At 30 min in I asked the manager back there if he could check on it, I wasn't rude but my happy face was definitely gone. She finally got them to me and said she lost my ticket, she handed me another one and when i went to check out I found they cut the price for my wait, it was supposed to be $35 ea board x4 boards + $12 cutting fees, but they only charged me $30x3, with no cutting fee, I still get an 11% rebate on top of that. So, they cut my ticket $62! I guess my wait was worth it and these beds will last considerably longer being 2in. vs. 1 in.

And yes dh's truck (23 yrs old now) needs some work, he ordered the part, about $150, and will do the work himself.

That's all the good things :) 

BUT

I may get kicked out of the club.

I bought new living room furniture from Ikea. It has been on my mind for months. My former couch started getting rips in the leather right as the warranty went out and ended up trashed in short order so we moved the downstairs couch up but it wasn't the best either, puffy recliner bachelor pad feel. I've hated it and the last 2 times we went to Ikea I've looked at their furniture, I mentioned to dh that I'd like something different and the next thing i know he is planning a trip for the next day. I love it. I love that it has a 10 yr warranty, that it has removeable washable covers and i can replace the covers. It feels like a good investment to me. I am updating the living room while I am at it. I am trying to do it as frugally as I can, trying to figure out the least amount of things to do an still get it like I want. My living room has been brown and dark for 5 yrs and I am ready for a change, the rest of the house is light and airy and I want it to all feel that way, totally not a need at all and I should have waited until we had fully met our savings goal and had extra but we put it on our card for points and by the time it goes through we will be pretty close to goal.

So all that being said other items for the great room--

-curtains- I picked some up from Marshall's at $20 a pair- I have 3 windows plus a huge bay window that will need 2 pairs- but I see Wal-Mart has some at $14, which is $75 with tax

-rugs- $140 for main area, I want to look at a couple of smaller ones- one for dining area table and another for reading nook

-lamps- I broke mine, would like 2 now as with the new arrangement I have room for another

- pillows- I think I am just going to go with pillow covers from Ikea for the most part and then maybe pick out 1 or 2 different ones for fun

-coffee table- mine is falling apart- dh has screwed it back together more than once- I am thinking I might just buy a coffee table and stain the end tables- but I believe I will see what i can find at the flea markets

We are nearing the 10 yr anniversary of our house fire, when we rebuilt we were underinsured so nearly all of our content money went to the house itself. So we made do with hand me downs and flea market stuff and this and that. And it has been fine but nearing that anniversary and finally finishing the basement I am wanting to have the house done, done. Done with things I like and pick out. It is somewhat petty. I don't know why I have this sudden compulsion but I do, and it is strong. To be entirely settled. So, there it is. I feel somewhat guilty but also terribly excite, as my friend would say I'm feathering my nest. It doesn't have to be a fancy nest but I want to make it mine, totally coming from a place of privilege to do that.

Another financial owie, I am going to training in the city this weekend. I will be going by myself though, so that saves money. I am getting a room with a frig and microwave to bring some food. I am taking dh's little car to save on gas and I won't have much extra time to go anywhere, although I'll be hitting Ikea for rugs and pillow covers because i can't find anything local even close to their prices.

• Like 2

Soror- about your comment about being kicked out of the club- not true! You are showing exactly how frugal people live.  And the key here is 'live'. Because it's not about spending no money, but rather how to make the most of what we have. You did all those things to improve the enjoyment of your house. 

You didn't hire an interior designer to help you figure out how to make your house have the feel you want.  If you had done that, she would have earned money EVERY time you bought something- the furniture, curtains, pillows etc.  Nope- you looked at your options and found things that appear to suit your needs and that will last quite a while. Good for you!

I'm not against hiring an interior designer or any other help a person needs. But frugal people weigh what they need and what they can do themselves and make wise choices.  I hired out the ceiling repair in the room we just gutted.  It was beyond my ability and it's a skill that I wasn't interested in learning. However, I was able to do the painting and trim carpentry myself. So I spent money where I needed to but saved money when I could. 

Isn't the Menard's 11% rebate lovely?  We keep a running list of things we need and buy for upcoming projects when they have the rebate.  Last summer we built a deck and renovated a bathroom and bought everything we could during their rebate period and ended up with $300 back. And then used that check to buy stuff for another project that also gave us 11% back...love it. 

• Like 2

Soror- about your comment about being kicked out of the club- not true! You are showing exactly how frugal people live.  And the key here is 'live'. Because it's not about spending no money, but rather how to make the most of what we have. You did all those things to improve the enjoyment of your house. 

You didn't hire an interior designer to help you figure out how to make your house have the feel you want.  If you had done that, she would have earned money EVERY time you bought something- the furniture, curtains, pillows etc.  Nope- you looked at your options and found things that appear to suit your needs and that will last quite a while. Good for you!

I'm not against hiring an interior designer or any other help a person needs. But frugal people weigh what they need and what they can do themselves and make wise choices.  I hired out the ceiling repair in the room we just gutted.  It was beyond my ability and it's a skill that I wasn't interested in learning. However, I was able to do the painting and trim carpentry myself. So I spent money where I needed to but saved money when I could. 

Isn't the Menard's 11% rebate lovely?  We keep a running list of things we need and buy for upcoming projects when they have the rebate.  Last summer we built a deck and renovated a bathroom and bought everything we could during their rebate period and ended up with $300 back. And then used that check to buy stuff for another project that also gave us 11% back...love it. 

thank you Annie, we do try to be wise with our money but we don't always succeed. It is a fine balance between trying to be frugal but not being too miserly that we aren't able to enjoy it and we've swung both ways, neither is really great. I'm trying to focus on spending money on things we will enjoy, as long as we can afford it, if we go too cheap and buy things I don't like they end up at Goodwill or they don't last. Figuring out the things it is worth spending money on is another skill though, we finally bought a nice printer last year, color toner, more money in the short run(although we got a good sale) but it will save a ton of money in the long run.

I'm not against an interior designer on principle, although I am pretty eclectic I am not convinced I could find one that would suite me. It is fun for me too to see where I can cut corners, how can I save money and still have something I love. I redid my bedroom last summer and absolutely love it now, I looked at a lot of Pinterest pics and went with it. I painted my very cheap hand me down furniture and what do you know it looks good, I had been wanting to replace it forever but with some paint I am happy to have it, that is more rewarding than dropping a big wad of cash on something. I made my kitchen curtains from a shower curtain, they make me smile every time I look at them. My art is printed from some free vintage pics online, put in one old frame and another on sale at Hobby Lobby. I refinished my table myself and used some leftover paint from the basement. Every project is like that around here. I like it better that way, a mix of old and new with my own touch :)

We've not done any big building projects since our Menard's opened(we would have made out like bandits when we rebuilt the house!), that is great you were able to use the rebate when you built your deck. We usually do work ourselves too but sometimes it isn't worth it. In a couple of weeks the guy will be finishing the stairs, dh was going to do it but once he started getting into it he realized that he was over his head. We will be happy to have it done by a pro, it will be well worth it. I think even pro diyers have some stuff they can't do!

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Sometimes  hiring work out IS the frugal way to do something.  We have learned that lesson multiple times.  But oh, the satisfaction of doing something myself! 

I tend to have spells where I'm too miserly and dh has to guide me back to a happy medium.  

I'm envious of your printer- dh just said this morning that we need to toss our current one- it's always a pain to get it to work and the ink cost is killing us. Care to share what you bought? 

• Like 1