Menu

Max dose of daily Vitamin D3?

Liz CA

I am still working on knocking whatever bug got a hold of me out of my system. It seems to be working.

I took 15000IU of Vit D yesterday and today about the same. I will add an evening dose to it unless someone tells me I have exceeded the daily max - or is there a daily max?

I usually take 5 - 7000 IU daily as a maintenance dose.

I don't know if there is an official max dose, but when my levels were very low, I was taking 50,000 2x/week....so 100,000 IU/week.  But this was designed to raise my Vitamin D levels....not for fighting infection.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

I am still working on knocking whatever bug got a hold of me out of my system. It seems to be working.

I took 15000IU of Vit D yesterday and today about the same. I will add an evening dose to it unless someone tells me I have exceeded the daily max - or is there a daily max?

I usually take 5 - 7000 IU daily as a maintenance dose.

How long have you taken that maintenance dose? 

I'd say 5,000-10,000 a day.  That's what I take for maintenance.  It's better for me take it every day than the larger dose twice a week pills.  I wouldn't take a dose at night.  It's called the sunshine vitamin, and it can cause insomnia if you take it at night.

• Like 1

How long have you taken that maintenance dose? 

I have taken this for about 3 moths. I need to get checked again because it was lower than my naturopath wanted it to be at the last check.

I will skip the evening dose then. Sounds like it would be safer. I am feeling a lot better anyway.

ETA: How long on average does it take for levels to go up when you are on a 5-7000IU dose? Can this even be generalized or is it a very individual process?

Edited by Liz CA

At those daily levels you really need to have the doctor monitoring your blood work.  Like Jean said, it is fat soluble and can build up to dangerous levels. 

For people who are deficient, a common rx is 50,000iu for once weekly for 12 weeks, with blood work being done at least at the beginning and every 12 weeks to monitor absorption.  The highest I have seen, was 150,000iu (3x50,000) a week for 4 weeks, but that was someone who was +Extremely+ deficient and the doctor was doing monthly blood work.  At that dose the pharmacist called to verify that it wasn't a mistake on the MDs part because it was wayyyy out of the ordinary dose. 

What kind of bug do you think you have that you are treating with Vit D?  If you are deficient in Vit D, your immune system and body systems may not function correctly, but I don't know of it treating any illnesses other than deficiencies.  So, taking high doses for a few days isn't going to have a fast enough effect to actively treat an illness, because it takes a while to build up in your system. 

• Like 1

I have taken this for about 3 moths. I need to get checked again because it was lower than my naturopath wanted it to be at the last check.

I will skip the evening dose then. Sounds like it would be safer. I am feeling a lot better anyway.

ETA: How long on average does it take for levels to go up when you are on a 5-7000IU dose? Can this even be generalized or is it a very individual process?

Individual,

At those daily levels you really need to have the doctor monitoring your blood work. Like Jean said, it is fat soluble and can build up to dangerous levels.

For people who are deficient, a common rx is 50,000iu for once weekly for 12 weeks, with blood work being done at least at the beginning and every 12 weeks to monitor absorption. The highest I have seen, was 150,000iu (3x50,000) a week for 4 weeks, but that was someone who was +Extremely+ deficient and the doctor was doing monthly blood work. At that dose the pharmacist called to verify that it wasn't a mistake on the MDs part because it was wayyyy out of the ordinary dose.

What kind of bug do you think you have that you are treating with Vit D? If you are deficient in Vit D, your immune system and body systems may not function correctly, but I don't know of it treating any illnesses other than deficiencies. So, taking high doses for a few days isn't going to have a fast enough effect to actively treat an illness, because it takes a while to build up in your system.

There have actually been a few studies done on treating influenza and other infections with vitamin D supplementation. I looked this up because of this thread--I also had not heard of such a thing previously.

The conclusions, if I remember correctly, trended towards a positive correlation between vitamin D supplementation during illness and quicker recovery. There was stronger correlation between ongoing supplementation and prevention of illness. It seems to be one of the many "more research is needed" topics but maybe not entirely unreasonable to try vitamin D to help fight off a virus.

Sorry I'm on my phone right now or I would try to find and link the reports I was looking at.

• Like 1

There have actually been a few studies done on treating influenza and other infections with vitamin D supplementation. I looked this up because of this thread--I also had not heard of such a thing previously.

The conclusions, if I remember correctly, trended towards a positive correlation between vitamin D supplementation during illness and quicker recovery. There was stronger correlation between ongoing supplementation and prevention of illness. It seems to be one of the many "more research is needed" topics but maybe not entirely unreasonable to try vitamin D to help fight off a virus.

Sorry I'm on my phone right now or I would try to find and link the reports I was looking at.

Yup, this is what I was going for. Since I supplement regularly I usually have very few colds or illness. But since the time change :glare: grrr- I have not been able to get to sleep before 1 or 1:30am which may have made me a little more susceptible to what's flying around. I work with  a lot of different people so I am exposed to all kinds of goodies.