Menu

If you understand teens, help me out here...

SparklyUnicorn

Sweatpants. (Athletic pants)

They only come in s,m,l, etc

Target has different length Champion ones to help with the short & stocky issue. (Try mens medium in their shorter length to start)

If he won't try any on or let you measure him, he gets new sweats in your estimated size & his too small pants disappear.

Mine has been wearing sweats only for a decade. When he got his internship this year, he had to start getting real pants!

Now he needs a suit for going to ISEF. Poor kid, lol.

He won't wear sweat pants.

But that is an idea.  I could buy a pair in the event he splits his jeans open or something.  LOL

• Like 2

I thought men's pants were sized based on inches.  If you can measure his current pants and add the additional inches he needs, then order them online, would that work?

I would only order 1 or 2 at a time until he is done growing.   :)

• Like 2

I thought men's pants were sized based on inches.  If you can measure his current pants and add the additional inches he needs, then order them online, would that work?

I would only order 1 or 2 at a time until he is done growing.   :)

He does not currently have men's pants.  Boys pants aren't quite the same. 

Well, if all his other pants go away because they don't fit.... He can either wear sweats or go try on pants :)

I guess, but I suspect it won't be easy to find sweat pants that fit him.  If they come in general S, M, L sizes that is not going to work.  He'll be tripping over them.  I myself cannot buy general sized sweat pants.  Even the petites don't always work out.  Which is why I REALLY need to try stuff on.  It's a pain, but that's how it goes when you are not average size.

Eh well.  What can ya do.  I guess if he doesn't mind his pants he doesn't mind his pants.  It's bizarre to me, but ...yeah.

My guys prefer clothes shopping with Dad. Maybe that's an option? Throw in a fast food burger and make it a fun event, just the two of them. (FWIW, I get your frustration.)

That would be the most hilarious thing ever in the history of hilarious things.  I buy my husband's clothing because he hates shopping for clothing.  Of course if he needs to try something on he'll go, but that's happened I think 2 x in over 16 years.

My husband doesn't even understand what size he wears (sizing is different where he is from too).

• Like 1

Well, now I have to wonder if that is part of the problem.  If he knows he'll have a hard time finding clothing that fits right.  Maybe that bothers him?  I dunno.  I feel his pain.  I have a tough time finding clothing. Most of the time I just buy the thing that looks the least stupid rather than it actually fits right.  I just could not be bothered to try harder or alter stuff.  I stick to items where it doesn't matter too much.

• Like 4

My ds is a twig and still hates shopping for clothes. It took until college for him to move past the athletic pant phase, and he's not an athlete. I would buy a few styles and sizes paying more attention to waist size than length. Ds likes cargo pants, but he's super picky about pockets and weight of the pants and whether the back pockets have flaps. 

I would buy a few pairs and bring them home and insist that he try them on and show you and remind him not to rip off tags. The key for me was not to get irritated because even balked at trying things on at home. 

• Like 2

I had this weird thing in middle school where I decided I couldn't be larger than a size 6 because Elizabeth and Jessica of the Sweet Valley High books were a size 6 and a few inches taller than me.

My mom was clueless and no one explained junior sizing to me, so because those sizes are odd ( 3 5 7 9 etc.) instead of even, I was sure I had to wear size 5 or smaller.

The problem was, I had gone through puberty at 10 and I was really maybe a 7 or a 9 in juniors, and a size 6 in women.  But I insisted on buying size 5s because I thought if I bought a larger size it meant I was fat (which is stupid, I realize now). 

I spent like 2 years being miserable with tight clothing.  I'm not sure when I finally realized it made more sense to buy clothes my actual size, no matter what the number said.

Anyway, I wonder if he is having some of the same anxiety about growing out of boy's sizes into men's sizes? 

If he is still pretty short maybe you can find a larger boy's waist size jeans somewhere.

• Like 1

Yeah that's the problem.  I can't really do that because the pants he has now I bought in the boy's department.  He is ready to move on from that, but he is on the small side for the men's department.  So his size is tricky. 

Maybe I could convince him to do this.  Find a brand he likes and then I could just buy the size up.

Can you take a pair of his old pants with you to the store, and find some that are just a bit bigger/longer and bring those home? Even if you bring home two sizes or more, for him to try on at home?

(I also HATE shopping for clothes, so I sympathize with him)

• Like 1

Have you gone all the way up to size 20 in boys? My son wears a size 20 slim in Levi's 550, relaxed fit. They have a 28" waist and I think a 30" inseam. They also make them in regular (30" waist) and husky (38" waist). The smallest Levi's has for men's jeans is 29" waist 30" inseam, which might be tolerable with a belt, but the men's jeans are twice the cost of the boy's jeans, which is awesome. I buy them on Amazon.  

Here's a link to the jeans my son wears - if you click on size chart, it has the Levi's sizes by height, weight and waist measurement. The men's 550 also has a size chart. Maybe you could make an educated guess? 

• Like 7

Have you gone all the way up to size 20 in boys? My son wears a size 20 slim in Levi's 550, relaxed fit. They have a 28" waist and I think a 30" inseam. They also make them in regular (30" waist) and husky (38" waist). The smallest Levi's has for men's jeans is 29" waist 30" inseam, which might be tolerable with a belt, but the men's jeans are twice the cost of the boy's jeans, which is awesome. I buy them on Amazon.  

Here's a link to the jeans my son wears - if you click on size chart, it has the Levi's sizes by height, weight and waist measurement. The men's 550 also has a size chart. Maybe you could make an educated guess? 

I have yet to see a 20 in boys.  I believe the last ones I bought were an 18 husky and those were the largest they had.  I am 99.99% certain 30 inch would be too long.  And waist...really I have absolutely no clue on that one.  I am fairly certain 38 would be way too big and a 30 would be too small.  What a crazy jump from regular to husky.

We had just the opposite problem--ds was a stick, with very long legs. They don't make size 24 W with 34L legs. I did the happy dance when he finally filled out! I just bought pants and put them on his bed. The too short ones went away.

We had this problem, but add in very muscular thighs from soccer. Ugh! I did the same, bought new pants and disappeared the old ones.

http://www.landsend.com/products/boys-iron-knee-classic-fit-denim/id_301347?sku_0=::Y9V

Ds got measured for his VERY expensive suit for his sister's wedding. And then decided to change his workout! Shoulders didn't fit, and the thighs were too small. Oh well, he wore it!

ohhh

I'm going to order a pair!

Thank you.

Just got back from the store looking through the men's dept (Walmart).  The shortest I saw was 29 (still too long).  But then the waists were stupid.  29s were always paired with something like 36 or 38 (way too big). 

http://www.landsend.com/products/boys-iron-knee-classic-fit-denim/id_301347?sku_0=::Y9V

Ds got measured for his VERY expensive suit for his sister's wedding. And then decided to change his workout! Shoulders didn't fit, and the thighs were too small. Oh well, he wore it!

I can totally see that happening here! And my kid would be wearing the ill fitting suit, too!

My DS15 is in a wedding in May. Luckily, he only need grey dress pants and a white dress shirt. We are not pants shopping until the end of April because he is growing so fast. Unlike his older brother, he is easier to fit and is quite the clothes horse. He likes shopping.

I feel your pain.  I was so happy when my oldest finally hit 30x30 in pants.  It is an easy size to find, and I can just go buy pants.  He doesn't have to come.  My current problem is my 13 year old daughter.  She doesn't want to shop for clothes.  What???  My dh told her he was going to the thrift store and buying 80s style floral print dresses for her to wear until she decided to let me take her shopping.  She wanted to shop the next weekend.  lol

• Like 1

My son did this exact thing when he was 15. I went to the mall twice with him when he was acting like this. Then I told him I would take my gay fashionista friend Henry shopping next week and Henry would pick out ds's new jeans. Ds fixed his attitude at that moment. 

• Like 1

I do think there are times you have to matter of fairly force the issue.

My 17 year old told me he needs new jeans because all of his are too tight. I said sure lets go after testing ( Act) tomorrow,

I dont stress too much though. He needed new shoes recently and he wouldn't go with me so I just kept shrugging and saying, let me know when you want to go. Eventually it became a priority to him.

Old Navy has a sale on right now, so I would order a bunch of sizes from them and have him try them on at home.

Try the boys Husky size. The inseam is 31 in a XXL

or try a Mens in a 30 length.

I would order various styles and just return what you don't want.  I have been known to order dd18, 15 different pair of pants in various sizes in one online purchase.  Different cuts, different waist, different length.  Out of all of them we ended up with 2 pair, but it was great to be able to just try them on at home and to have all the sizes and color options available. 

If you find ones that fit the waist and you just don't want to hem them, them buy them and start washing them with his regular clothes each week. That way the start to get soft and he will get used to seeing them in his laundry.  Then when you get around to hemming them or sending them out to be hemmed, they will be more likely to be accepted.  LOL

My DS12 can wear size 14 The Children's Place boys utility jeans. It has those buttons thing to adjust for waist and the jeans are going for $7.99. He is between a size 14 and size 16 for jeans depending on brand and cutting.

Levi's store staff will also help size up jeans for your son if you bring him. Macy's staff are quite good too at sizing.

ETA:

DS12 has a 26" waist and about 28" inseam and gets the mid-rise/sits below waist jeans.

Edited by Arcadia

My son did this exact thing when he was 15. I went to the mall twice with him when he was acting like this. Then I told him I would take my gay fashionista friend Henry shopping next week and Henry would pick out ds's new jeans. Ds fixed his attitude at that moment. 

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sparkly - If I were you I would appeal to my husband to back me on this one. My son will do what his Dad tells him to without a lot of fuss as I think that he thinks - well, knows - that Dad understands stuff better than Mom. So I would ask my husband to measure him for me and then, after I had ordered a few different pairs, make him try them on.

• Like 1

DS did this for awhile.  I never quite understood but I assume it was just too much trouble and somewhat embarrassing for him(he was going through a chunky stage).  So I went to the store bought clothes for him, he tried them on and I returned what he didn't want.  This only works with stores that have good return policies but at least his butt was covered.  He's better now, he grew 3-4 inches and lost 30 pounds so he feels more comfortable trying on clothes in public.

Take the pair that used to fit.  Find the waist and length.  Order some jeans with the waist and length numbers adjusted to what you think will fit.  Order them from a  store with a good return policy and a local location so you can physically return or exchange them.  JCPenney works for us.   Mine gets to have input on the color and style.  We try approximate sizes until we get it right.  

I thought of this thread because I am taking my son jeans shopping today. I am waiting on him to finish the ACT then off to the mall. He has filled out so much I think he can go to a non slim cut now. He was in a slim 32/34 but all his jeans are too tight now. So probably a 34/34 classic/regular fit.

I'm like that. I hate shopping and I hate trying on clothes. Standing in a cubby taking off all my clothes while shoppers meander around just annoys me. And then I look in the mirror and every body insecurity I have roars into my mind. I imagine it would be even worse if I had a hard fit for my clothes and had to visit every store in the mall to find something that would work. It would be torture for me and make me feel bad about myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm like that. I hate shopping and I hate trying on clothes. Standing in a cubby taking off all my clothes while shoppers meander around just annoys me. And then I look in the mirror and every body insecurity I have roars into my mind. I imagine it would be even worse if I had a hard fit for my clothes and had to visit every store in the mall to find something that would work. It would be torture for me and make me feel bad about myself.

Oh gawd yes.  I hate shopping, trying on clothes, AND I have a hard to fit size.  I often go long periods of time just wearing crap that's falling apart because I don't like it.  So I do understand him somewhat.  But ya know there DOES come a point where one needs to.  Hehe..

I lost a lot of weight fairly recently.  I went to the store and just grabbed stuff without trying it and hoped for the best.  One pair fit great.  One was too big but I wear them anyway.  Shirts were all too big, but I wear them anyway. 

I just don't care.  Although I don't think I'm exactly ridiculous either. 

Oh gawd yes. I hate shopping, trying on clothes, AND I have a hard to fit size. I often go long periods of time just wearing crap that's falling apart because I don't like it. So I do understand him somewhat. But ya know there DOES come a point where one needs to. Hehe..

I lost a lot of weight fairly recently. I went to the store and just grabbed stuff without trying it and hoped for the best. One pair fit great. One was too big but I wear them anyway. Shirts were all too big, but I wear them anyway.

I just don't care. Although I don't think I'm exactly ridiculous either.

My dh (engineer) says the purpose of clothes is to not be naked. Your son may feel similarly. He probably thinks Ridiculous is a matter of opinion! [emoji39]

• Like 1