Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW12: March Equinox

aggieamy

You guys made me research the Oasis. Don't think I am interested. When my ereader dies I will probably buy a paperwhite but super thin and weightless scares me. I would definitely lose it and fear of breaking it would keep me from enjoying it.

I am super rough on my kindles. I don't keep them in a case, shove them in my purse and down in the sides of the couches. I drop them all the time, as do my kids for me. Never damaged one. The problem with the paperwhite is that it's really slow. It can take up to 5 seconds to turn a page sometimes. The touch screen isn't super responsive so you actually have to give a firm tap, and sometimes your think you tapped to turn a page and either a) it was just being slow so when you tap again it turns two pages or b) your tap didn't register and you just sit there waiting. Mine also has some memory error and it gets even slower than that if I don't restart it 3-4 times per book and keep the charge in the upper half. The buttons on the side of kindle keyboard made for much less finger movement overall and it was a faster reading experience so I am really hopeful to get that back.

• Like 11

You guys made me research the Oasis. Don't think I am interested. When my ereader dies I will probably buy a paperwhite but super thin and weightless scares me. I would definitely lose it and fear of breaking it would keep me from enjoying it.

The Oasis is shockingly sturdy.  It's WAY more sturdy than my Keyboard was, both the bezel and the screen.  Before I got the Oasis I was afraid being so thin that it would break easily.  Nope.  It's really well built.  Losing it, well, I suppose that could happen.  I just use it so much every day and always put it in the same couple of places (which are the same places I used to put my Keyboard) so that's not a worry for me.  I had a lot of worries reading reviews before I got my Oasis and really agonized over that or the Voyage (PW was a definite no because of the physical button thing).  Turns out not a single one of my worries were founded.

I think the best part, though, is I have this teeny tiny purse and it has an inside section and an outside section that are zippered separately and my iPhone fit perfectly in the outside section and my Oasis (in the case) fits perfectly in the inside section.  I actually brought my phone and Kindle along with me to do my purse shopping.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 10

How do you handle bad prose? I'm halfway through a book and I've counted five uses of the word "hipsters", descriptions are "some kind of"/"close to"/"about a" thing, so many forward slashes, people "almost" feel emotions, and words-are-strung-together-with-hyphens.

I read genre fiction so I'm not expecting poetry, but I find myself pulled away from the story, distracted by the poor writing. Argh! I will finish this book!

What year was the book written?

I am super rough on my kindles. I don't keep them in a case, shove them in my purse and down in the sides of the couches. I drop them all the time, as do my kids for me. Never damaged one. The problem with the paperwhite is that it's really slow. It can take up to 5 seconds to turn a page sometimes. The touch screen isn't super responsive so you actually have to give a firm tap, and sometimes your think you tapped to turn a page and either a) it was just being slow so when you tap again it turns two pages or b) your tap didn't register and you just sit there waiting. Mine also has some memory error and it gets even slower than that if I don't restart it 3-4 times per book and keep the charge in the upper half. The buttons on the side of kindle keyboard made for much less finger movement overall and it was a faster reading experience so I am really hopeful to get that back.

I'm having Kindle regret. I had a really old one and bought a paper white so I could read in bed. I like it but it is really slow. There's a definite pause when you turn pages.  I just assumed they were all like that.  Might have to research the Oasis... 

• Like 10

I'm having Kindle regret. I had a really old one and bought a paper white so I could read in bed. I like it but it is really slow. There's a definite pause when you turn pages.  I just assumed they were all like that.  Might have to research the Oasis... 

No, they definitely aren't.  My Keyboard had some lag and as it got older it got slower.  I had trained myself to hit the next page button before I got to the end of the last line.  When I got the Oasis I had to untrain myself.  It switches instantly pretty much every time.  Occasionally it switches so fast I think it is being slow until I realize it is already on the next page, I just didn't see it happen (probably blinked or something).

• Like 8

Do you have it set to refresh on every page? That slows it down. You can turn that off in settings and it will only refresh every 3-5 pages. Some people have complained about ghosting with that setting but I haven't noticed it. 

Do you have the latest generation? Is the software updated?

I just played with my Paperwhite to see how fast it turns pages (actually not mine - my son's, since mine is dead). First I used a timer and turned pages. With page refresh on for every page turned on it showed 2-3 seconds to turn pages. With it turned off it was 1-2 seconds. I was alone and having to look at both the timer and the Kindle and quickly press the page turn and stop the timer. I don't know how fast I was at stopping the timer. Then I used a stopwatch and it showed that it's even faster. Page refresh on every page actually took .87 seconds and with it off the time went down to .67 seconds. That's pretty close to instant plus there's no way I can turn a physical page that quickly when reading a print book. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

Do you have it set to refresh on every page? That slows it down. You can turn that off in settings and it will only refresh every 3-5 pages. Some people have complained about ghosting with that setting but I haven't noticed it. 

Do you have the latest generation? Is the software updated?

I just played with my Paperwhite to see how fast it turns pages (actually not mine - my son's, since mine is dead). First I used a timer and turned pages. With page refresh on for every page turned on it showed 2-3 seconds to turn pages. With it turned off it was 1-2 seconds. I was alone and having to look at both the timer and the Kindle and quickly press the page turn and stop the timer. I don't know how fast I was at stopping the timer. Then I used a stopwatch and it showed that it's even faster. Page refresh on every page actually took .87 seconds and with it off the time went down to .67 seconds. That's pretty close to instant plus there's no way I can turn a physical page that quickly when reading a print book. 

Hmm. I'm going to look into that.  It's less than a year old and it's always been slow. You might have just saved me a few hundred buck!  :lol:

• Like 9

Rosie - I really wish I was a fairy godmother because your house is one of the first I would visit.  Instead I can only send warm thoughts through the internet. I'm sorry. I know that lots of us have hurting hearts for your situation. If there's anything that could be done please let us BaW ladies know.  

Thanks Love, but I don't think there is any way out. I don't know how to fight liars.

How do you handle bad prose? I'm halfway through a book and I've counted five uses of the word "hipsters", descriptions are "some kind of"/"close to"/"about a" thing, so many forward slashes, people "almost" feel emotions, and words-are-strung-together-with-hyphens.

I read genre fiction so I'm not expecting poetry, but I find myself pulled away from the story, distracted by the poor writing. Argh! I will finish this book!

I abandon more books because of bad prose than for any other reason. Sometimes I really want to read a book for the story but I just can't make myself do it. 

Would someone tell my kids to teach themselves today so I can just read?  I'm coming up on the sad sad ending of Gatsby. I will cry. 

:001_wub:  that book so much.

• Like 12

I haven't been here in the past 6 weeks as my dad died in the beginning of Feb. and the kids and I have been with my mom ever since. We came home on Sun. and are slowly acclimating ourselves to life back st home.

I haven't been reading much since all of this happened. Not only did I lose my dad but I also lost my coping mechanism for hard times (reading). Didn't expect that at all.

March has come to be a better month. I have been able to actually read and finish a few books. Another surprise is that I have found comfort in a genre that I usually don't read; historical fiction.

The first book I was able to finish was The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I have put this off for months cause I didn't think I would like it. I was wrong-- loved it. Also loved A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline (it is based on the painting Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth) and The Wife, The Maid and The Mistress by Ariel Lawson. But the book that really brought me back into the land of the reading was The Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. Oh, how I love that man's writing!

I am currently reading Lincoln on the Bardo and am loving it so far.

• Like 15

I haven't been here in the past 6 weeks as my dad died in the beginning of Feb. and the kids and I have been with my mom ever since. We came home on Sun. and are slowly acclimating ourselves to life back st home....

Welcome home and welcome back here.  Sending you good thoughts during this challenging time.

A couple of posts from Tor.com that might be enjoyed by others here ~

Quilting and Storytelling by Cassandra Rose Clarke

and

9 Emotional Books That Had Our Readers in Tears  by Leah Schnelbach

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I love my sister. I love Amazon gift cards. We each give the other a $25 Amazon gift card for our birthdays and I just spent mine today. I had to wait until I could spend the whole $25 because otherwise it would have gone toward my dd's KT tape or cat food or whatever. So I have Hidden Figures coming my way in paperback (I'm going to pick it for my next book club pick) and then for my (old technology) Kindle I got 4 Regency mysteries and the newest in Andrea Host's Touchstone series (didn't know there was a new one!). I know we could probably just skip the gift cards and buy our own books but it's just so much more fun to have permission to splurge on yourself.

• Like 13

I just finished a very enjoyable young adult book that was recommended here recently by ... Rose?, Jenn?; the book is a modern day Canterbury Tales retelling.  I'll add my recommendation, too.

Sometimes We Tell the Truth by Kim Zarins

"In this contemporary retelling of The Canterbury Tales, a group of teens on a bus ride to Washington, DC, each tell a story—some fantastical, some realistic, some downright scandalous—in pursuit of the ultimate prize: a perfect score.

Jeff boards the bus for the Civics class trip to Washington, DC, with a few things on his mind:
-Six hours trapped with his classmates sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
-He somehow ended up sitting next to his ex-best friend, who he hasn’t spoken to in years.
-He still feels guilty for the major part he played in pranking his teacher, and the trip’s chaperone, Mr. Bailey.
-And his best friend Cannon, never one to be trusted and banned from the trip, has something “big†planned for DC.

But Mr. Bailey has an idea to keep everyone in line: each person on the bus is going to have the chance to tell a story. It can be fact or fiction, realistic or fantastical, dark or funny or sad. It doesn’t matter. Each person gets a story, and whoever tells the best one will get an automatic A in the class.

But in the middle of all the storytelling, with secrets and confessions coming out, Jeff only has one thing on his mind—can he live up to the super successful story published in the school newspaper weeks ago that convinced everyone that he was someone smart, someone special, and someone with something to say.

In her debut novel, Kim Zarins breathes new life into Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales in a fresh and contemporary retelling that explores the dark realities of high school, and the subtle moments that bring us all together."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I haven't been here in the past 6 weeks as my dad died in the beginning of Feb. and the kids and I have been with my mom ever since. We came home on Sun. and are slowly acclimating ourselves to life back st home.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

• Like 8

I just finished a very enjoyable young adult book that was recommended here recently by ... Rose?, Jenn?; the book is a modern day Canterbury Tales retelling.  I'll add my recommendation, too.

Sometimes We Tell the Truth by Kim Zarins

"In this contemporary retelling of The Canterbury Tales, a group of teens on a bus ride to Washington, DC, each tell a story—some fantastical, some realistic, some downright scandalous—in pursuit of the ultimate prize: a perfect score.

Jeff boards the bus for the Civics class trip to Washington, DC, with a few things on his mind:

-Six hours trapped with his classmates sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

-He somehow ended up sitting next to his ex-best friend, who he hasn’t spoken to in years.

-He still feels guilty for the major part he played in pranking his teacher, and the trip’s chaperone, Mr. Bailey.

-And his best friend Cannon, never one to be trusted and banned from the trip, has something “big†planned for DC.

But Mr. Bailey has an idea to keep everyone in line: each person on the bus is going to have the chance to tell a story. It can be fact or fiction, realistic or fantastical, dark or funny or sad. It doesn’t matter. Each person gets a story, and whoever tells the best one will get an automatic A in the class.

But in the middle of all the storytelling, with secrets and confessions coming out, Jeff only has one thing on his mind—can he live up to the super successful story published in the school newspaper weeks ago that convinced everyone that he was someone smart, someone special, and someone with something to say.

In her debut novel, Kim Zarins breathes new life into Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales in a fresh and contemporary retelling that explores the dark realities of high school, and the subtle moments that bring us all together."

Regards,

Kareni

Yep, that was me.  Dd and I both really enjoyed this book. I'm glad you liked it too!

• Like 7

I'm mostly around. Haven't much nice to say, so am not saying much.

I'm so sorry. There are no words  :grouphug:

Hi Ladies!

I haven't had time to keep up on the thread but I am still here in spirit :)    I am feeling a little burned out on reading right now.. or maybe that is just life? I have roughly 3 weeks until baby #5 shows up so my emotions have been a little rocky. One minute I need to accomplish everything, the next I am crumbling from the (self-induced) pressure.  I am taking comfort in the fact that there is a natural relief to this insanity and I am not far from attaining it. 

Hang in there! (as if you have any choice . . . )  :grouphug:

DD is still feeling terrible, with a fever, though the abdominal pain isn't as severe. Usually, I've been able to determine a child's illness (flu, cold, random viral infection, strep, etc.) pretty quickly, but this one has me stumped. I'm hoping to hear from the hospital today about the culture tests. Her sleep was relatively calm last night so I'm hoping she's turned a corner.

So sorry she's still feeling bad, and also hoping she's on the mend and that you get a diagnosis soon.  :grouphug:

I haven't been reading much since all of this happened. Not only did I lose my dad but I also lost my coping mechanism for hard times (reading). Didn't expect that at all.

I am currently reading Lincoln on the Bardo and am loving it so far.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  :grouphug:  I'm glad you are finding some comfort in reading again. I love George Saunders, I read Pastoralia last year and I just started Civilwarland in Bad Decline. While I'm waiting for Lincoln on the Bardo! I think I'm #175 in line for it.

And Nan, sorry your recovery of function is so prolonged! Nice to see you again, you've been missed.  :grouphug:

• Like 10

Currently free for Kindle readers ~

for young adults:  Nora & Kettle  by Lauren Nicolle Taylor

Review
World War II is over, but community feelings toward Japanese Americans still run high, and two very different teens are struggling to live in the aftermath. Seventeen-year-old Kettle has been an orphan living on the streets for years, working the docks when he can and trying to care for other street children alongside his brother, Kin. Nora, on the other hand, is the daughter of a wealthy, big-name civil rights lawyer, but that does not protect her from his violent beatings behind closed doors. Existing side by side without knowing it, Kettle and Nora's paths cross one night, and suddenly everything changes. Lyrically written, this powerful and at times painful read captures the reader and does not let go. Told in alternating chapters from the two characters' perspectives, their respective narratives cross and intertwine, drawing Nora and Kettle closer until they finally unite. Parallels to Peter Pan and Wendy provide motif and depth without overwhelming the reader. Firmly rooted in the history of internment camps and racial prejudice, this remarkable novel educates subtly while focusing on themes of home, acceptance, courage, and the danger of secrets. -- Melissa Moore
 (Booklist Starred Review)

for adults:  Stars in the Grass  by Ann Marie Stewart

“In this remarkable novel, Ann Marie Stewart explores the aftermath of tragedy with intelligence, grace, and subtle humor. Stars in the Grass is a story of great loss, but also of great hope. A beautiful, haunting tale, it is one I won’t soon forget.
—Ann Tatlock, award-winning author of Once Beyond a Time

“Stars in the Grass reminds us that even when we think God has forgotten us, we’re forever on His mind. Ann Marie Stewart’s writing is outstanding and her voice captivating. I fell in love with this intriguing novel from the first page.â€
—Bestselling novelist Kate Lloyd, author of Leaving Lancaster, Pennsylvania Patchwork, and Forever Amish

“Ann Marie Stewart’s beautifully crafted prose depicts a family in deep turmoil as they walk through a dark valley. . . . Told in first-person narrative by nine-year-old Abby, Stewart gets her voice just right as a precocious child thrust into the world of grief. A thought-provoking and sensitive look into the different paths each family member travels in the aftermath of tragedy, the role of God and faith along the path, and the way time wraps its way around this family until they each can embrace the truth and move forward.â€
—Elizabeth Musser, bestselling author of The Long Highway Home and The Swan Hous

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

March has come to be a better month. I have been able to actually read and finish a few books. Another surprise is that I have found comfort in a genre that I usually don't read; historical fiction.

I am sorry. I hope you continue to once again find comfort in books. 

• Like 9

I'm so sorry prairiegirl.

((HUGS))

We're glad you found your way back here.  You were missed.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

Ok, I officially un-recommend CivilWarLand in Bad Decline. The first couple of stories are awful. :eek:  :(  

Um ... about that ... I thought you were going to try for some happier lighthearted books.  You have been reading some serious stuff lately!  

• Like 9

Um ... about that ... I thought you were going to try for some happier lighthearted books.  You have been reading some serious stuff lately!  

People keep reminding her. We're just going to have to come over to your house Rose, armed with as many flufferton books as we can carry. :D

• Like 10

From the Word Wenches site ~

A Man For All Seasons by Cara Elliott/Andrea Pickens

"As a unabashed history geek, I’m always excited when I discover the in-depth story of a fascinating figure from the past about whom I don’t know much—and I’m even more excited when in the process I also gain a broader perspective on the world in which the individual lived and how his or her achievements helped shape it. So I’m here to gush about my newest historical hero heartthrob—Alexander von Humboldt.

Today, most of us know dare only vaguely familiar with his name as an ocean current located somewhere off the Pacific coast of South America. But in his day, he was arguably one of the most famous men in the world. As the Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm IV said, he was “the greatest man since the Deluge.†On his death, newspapers around the world proclaimed how fortunate they all were to have lived in the “Age of Humboldt.â€..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Good morning all.

Rose, my heart goes to you

I hope those with ailing children are seeing better days ahead.

Nan--I hope that you are painting soon.

And loesje!  What gorgeous work!

I just returned from what seems to be an annual gallivant to Saint Simons Island, GA.  This year's trip was made slightly tentative by my trek to Savannah just a couple of weeks ago.  I wasn't sure that I wanted to face another long drive but the thought of being with good friends in a gorgeous place persuaded me. 

In the car I finished listening to James McBride's almost magical tale of the Buffalo soldiers in Italy, Miracle at Saint Anna, which I liked very much.  After a few minutes, I rejected a Tommy and Tuppence mystery--these Agatha Christies are my least favorite.

Strange Shores brings to an end one phase of the Erlendur mysteries by Arnaldur Indridason.  The author has followed this book with "Young Erlendur" mysteries which I'll eventually read.  I think that Indridason did something that was wise. Writers often have a problem maintaining the quality of mystery series--readers return for the comfort of characters or settings but often note how later books will suffer.  The last three volumes of the basic Erlendur series take a different twist with one book focusing on one of Erlendur's sidekicks, a second book on the second sidekick, and the finale on Erlendur himself, off to pursue his obsession with people who have disappeared. Strange Shores would probably be a strange book for anyone who has not read earlier volumes in the series.  

On a recent trip to the library, the word "Indigo" jumped out at me from a spine of a book.  I started reading the novel last night, Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo, by Ntozake Shange.  Now there was a name I had not heard or seen in a while!  In fact, I did not know that playwright Shange had written any novels.  So that is what I am reading now.

One last thing:  I told my friend whom I was visiting about News of the World.  She had heard critics sing its praises and at about the half way point she noted that the accolades were deserved.  I told her that I had loved this book which came to my attention through y'all. So thanks again.

• Like 9

Prairiegirl, I am so sorry for your loss.  I remember being so gobsmacked by my dad's death (which was expected, he'd been having strokes for 3 years and we knew his time was coming) but one thing that helped me cope with  my grief was reading Rumpole of the Bailey books.  My dad was a lawyer and judge and he loved the TV series and he loved the novels.  I went on a long Rumpole jag and it was so therapeutic for me.  I hope you find similar healing.  Reading was such a deep blessing.

• Like 10

Prairiegirl, I am so sorry for your loss.  I remember being so gobsmacked by my dad's death (which was expected, he'd been having strokes for 3 years and we knew his time was coming) but one thing that helped me cope with  my grief was reading Rumpole of the Bailey books.  My dad was a lawyer and judge and he loved the TV series and he loved the novels.  I went on a long Rumpole jag and it was so therapeutic for me.  I hope you find similar healing.  Reading was such a deep blessing.

My father was an avid reader, mainly science fiction and fantasy. Having joined book of the month clubs, he had bookshelves full of novels. Since he passed away, I talk with my kids about how much he loved books, movies, Star Wars, and Star Trek. For many reasons, they didn't know him very well, but it helps me to talk about him and his interests with my children.

• Like 11

People keep reminding her. We're just going to have to come over to your house Rose, armed with as many flufferton books as we can carry. :D

I thought it was going to be funny! Satirical short stories!!!!  In my defense, I abandoned the book as soon as I realized how disturbing it was. 

But you are all welcome to come over to my house, armed with books of any kind. Or without them.  :)

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 11

I don't know if any of these qualify as happy, I haven't really been in the mood for happy. But I have started some new books this week that are not dark and disturbing:

The Dream of Enlightenment: The Rise of Modern Philosophy

Gulliver's Travels

Great Tales from English History Vol. 3

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us

Henry IV part 1 & 2

I also finished a re-read of Too Like the Lightning, a Utopian sci-fi published last year by Ada Palmer. I read it last summer, but knew I'd have to re-read it when its sequel was published, which it has been, so I did. It was the kind of book you kind of have to read twice to have the vaguest grasp of what is going on, but I really enjoyed it this second read. It's definitely not a book for everyone: there is sex and violence, speculations about government, politics, religion and gender. But it's unique in that the future envisioned is actually a flawed Utopia, based on Enlightenment ideals, rather than a gritty dystopia. Seven Surrenders is in transit from the library, I'm very excited to get ahold of it and complete this phase of the story! The two books are less a series than two halves of the same story, so the first one really, really leaves you hanging. I guess there will be a couple of future volumes as well, but the promise is that these two books together complete a satisfying story arc.  The author is a professor of Renaissance history at U Chicago, and friends with Jo Walton, who some here have read and enjoyed. They both write sci fi that really wrestles with ideas, the stories are more idea-driven than plot driven.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 9

I've recently finished The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. It's a new book and kind of cheesy, but I liked it. There is a little bit of mystery, a little bit of romance, and a little bit of magical realism.

My heart is heavy for so many this morning, especially you, Rosie. I agree that you don't deserve what has been dished out. I wish there was more I could say or do.

• Like 13

I'm so sorry about your Dad.

Rosie - Thinking of you and sorry you are having to go through this.

A very limited time offer from Tor.com ~

"Tor.com is offering a free download of the ebook edition of The Way of Kings, the first volume of Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive, on March 23rd and 24th, 2017!

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

— IMPORTANT —

This free ebook download will only be available for 48 hours. You can only download the file between 12:00 AM ET, March 23 and 11:59 PM ET, March 24.

Download The Way of Kings, Book One of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson

Note: This offer is only available in the US and Canada. We apologize for the geographic restriction, unfortunately it is required for various legal reasons."

Here's a blurb for the book:

"Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

A one day only classic that is currently free for Kindle readers ~

The Marble Faun: Or the Romance of Monte Beni by Nathaniel Hawthorne

"From the author of The Scarlet Letter: The thrilling tale of three American artists whose search for artistic inspiration leads to romance and murder.

The sculpture galleries and classical architecture of nineteenth-century Rome set the stage for Nathaniel Hawthorne’s gothic romance The Marble Faun. While touring the Eternal City in search of inspiration and authentic beauty, American artists Miriam, Hilda, and Kenyon soon discover that their Italian companion, Donatello—charming and in love with Miriam—bears a striking resemblance to the marble Faun of Praxiteles. But for Miriam, their carefree pursuit is also an escape from a dark past. And when a mysterious man appears, trailing the friends’ path and tormenting Miriam, the group’s travels take a sinister turn.

The first novel to explore the effects of European sensibilities on American values, The Marble Faun anticipated the genre of travel novels later exemplified by The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James and The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. Vividly evoking the great works of art and architecture in Rome, it also found favor as an unlikely guidebook for many Victorian tourists. James Russell Lowell said: “The nineteenth century has produced no more purely original writer than Mr. Hawthorne.†Here, the author of The House of the Seven Gables offers an unforgettable and suspenseful tale."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished The Girl in the Ice by Hammer this morning. Loesje read it and really enjoyed it but she read it in a different language. I struggled to read this one, it was uneven and difficult to follow. I thought it was me and was really wondering if it was because I skipped to the second book in the series to achieve a personal goal of including Greenland in my Scandinavian Mystery Books this spring. Btw, the author is Danish so I didn't even achieve that goal. ;(

I looked at Goodreads and my uneven confusion seems to be a common complaint. There were some really interesting points in this book and smoothed out it probably would have been great. I'm a bit envious that Loesje read a much better translation!

Nan, I don't think anyone has answered what a CAL is. It's a crochet a long. https://itsallinanutshell.com/2017/01/25/hygge-cal-kits-now-available/ This blogger does YouTube videos explaining every step and is really popular. One of my real life friends is still trying to complete her previous cal and it's gorgeous. Like Loesje my friend really had never done much crocheting before the videos.

• Like 9

"By what right," she demanded, in a tone of arrogance and anger, "do your guards seize the person of our high priestess upon the Isle of Sele, within the holy borders of the shrine?"

Does this sound like a book I found randomly in my mother's garage that none of us had ever seen before?

It sure does. I'm due to go through dusty stacks of books in someone's garage this spring and will probably not find anything so obscure (to me, anyway) or even anything worth holding on to. Guaranteed wheezing from the dust and disorder, though!

Many hugs to you, dear Rosie, and as with everyone -- just wish we had a way to make it all right for you. 

• Like 9

:grouphug: prairiegirl and everyone struggling recently.

I had said this would be a week of me reading less, tackling my to-do list more, but so far reading is winning. Combination of my usual procrastination and avoiding some sad & stressful things.

Back to books: I think you can see the most recent books here:
https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/7514947

The most recent books on my list were mostly enjoyable. I wasn't sure about Pachinko by Min Jin Lee because I'd been let down last year by a few well-reviewed novels with gorgeous covers. I didn't read any reviews closely or have any ideas about the book ahead this time. Am glad I read both that and The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey this week. 

Oh, I'm in awe of the crocheting. I've been crocheting for awhile and everything I do still looks like my first project. My knitting is only a smidge better. I have pretty much come to terms with my ineptitude in the yarn-into-art department.   :laugh:

• Like 7

Crocheting...I made a blanket for my first two kids, and started one for my third child when I was pg with him. He is now 8 and the blanket is not finished.  :o  He has asked me several times when I will finish it. I hang my head in shame. The thing is I have to start over now for several reasons. I really should make it a priority to do this project lest it end up costing thousands in therapy later in ds's life.  

I'm near the end in Gatsby, but I am resisting finishing it. I don't want him to die. If I don't finish the book then maybe he'll live. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 11

I finished The Girl in the Ice by Hammer this morning. Loesje read it and really enjoyed it but she read it in a different language. I struggled to read this one, it was uneven and difficult to follow. I thought it was me and was really wondering if it was because I skipped to the second book in the series to achieve a personal goal of including Greenland in my Scandinavian Mystery Books this spring. Btw, the author is Danish so I didn't even achieve that goal. ;(

I looked at Goodreads and my uneven confusion seems to be a common complaint. There were some really interesting points in this book and smoothed out it probably would have been great. I'm a bit envious that Loesje read a much better translation!

Nan, I don't think anyone has answered what a CAL is. It's a crochet a long. https://itsallinanutshell.com/2017/01/25/hygge-cal-kits-now-available/ This blogger does YouTube videos explaining every step and is really popular. One of my real life friends is still trying to complete her previous cal and it's gorgeous. Like Loesje my friend really had never done much crocheting before the videos.

I feel sorry for you Mumof2 but of course you may have a different opinion !

I checked for you: one of the 2 translators is bilingual Danish-Dutch, I suppose that helps.

And I too, did not read Volume 1 of the serie.

I'm sorry Nan, I presumed everybody would knew what a CAL is.... :blush:

I learned there are KALs too (knitting a longs)

Based on my earlier experiences with chrochet I would have not expected I would like this that much (after the first frustrating weeks when I used the wrong stitch), but such a project is a great place to start, I think.

The Cals of Scheepjes are bilingual, so I can just crochet in dutch :)

• Like 10

Those who have enjoyed Anne Bishop's books might like this column.  Be aware that it was written in 2013 and that Written in Red had been newly published when it was compiled ~

If You Like: Then You Should Read: (Anne Bishop Edition)

Books/stories recently finished ~

Exile  by Colleen Vanderlinden -- this was a pleasant read but it's definitely part one of two. it's set on a future earth in rough shape; the hero is one of an alien race that settled on earth some years ago while the heroine is the niece of a king. 

"Vanderlinden vividly creates a bleak and dangerous world, where two unlikely lovers must face treachery and torn loyalties. This is the first chapter in the saga of Daarik and Shannen. It will be hard waiting for the next installment!" 4 Stars -- RT Book Reviews

"... a wonderful start to a new series that promises to become a favorite among fantasy readers, and also open their minds to the possibilities present in other genres." 4 Stars -- Reader Eater Blog

Starting Over: A Story  by Ruthie Knox -- this was a short piece about failure and hope that I quite liked and will likely re-read.  (Definite adult content)  This is free today to Kindle readers.

"Jessie Bellin’s business is failing, her house is falling apart, and the mortgage is ninety days overdue. With nothing left to offer, she’ll take what she can get from the handyman who wants nothing but her body. But when Mike Kaminsky suddenly asks for more, Jessie has to figure out exactly what she wants—and if it’s possible for a woman who’s lost everything to learn how to start over."

Two short holiday stories featuring male/male romances by a favorite author; these are free today to KIndle readers  ~

Joys R Us  by Kim Fielding

"Reece is a practical, orderly man, a financial analyst who considers most holiday events wasteful. But his sister coerces him into standing in line overnight for this year's must-have toy. Supplies prove smaller than expected, and Reece gets trampled in the resulting stampede. Toy store manager Angel tends to Reece's wounds. When Angel discovers Reece's cynical attitude, he invites Reece to spend Christmas Eve with him. Over the course of the day, Angel shows Reece what Christmas means to him. With Angel's guidance, maybe Reece can finally understand the joy of the holiday—and maybe even find love as well."

The Festivus Miracle   by Kim Fielding  (adult content)

It’s finals week during Tony McNeil’s second year in law school, and he’s struggling to keep up. Frankly, he’d rather be cooking. Then he meets first-year student Eddie Cohen-Fernandez, who’s heartsick over missing his family’s annual Festivus celebration. Tony can use his culinary skills to lift Eddie’s spirits, but finding long-term happiness? That just might require a Festivus miracle.

Locked Box  by Eve Dangerfield -- this is currently free to Kindle readers; it's a contemporary romance.  I'd have liked a bit more story between the scenes with adult content.

"Julia Bennett isn't having a great day. Funding for her video game is low, her day job is sucking her dry, and to cap it all off she's locked in a police station with the very handsome, extremely married guy she's been avoiding at all costs.

Max Connor isn't having a great year. He's getting divorced, his best friend is squatting in his house, and his inappropriate crush on the IT girl is getting out of hand. And that was before he locked the two of them in an evidence room.

Surrounded by three decades' worth of drugs, guns, and floppy disks, Max and Julia are forced to confront the heat that lies between them with dangerous, funny, and occasionally toe-curlingly sexy results."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

ETA: Next up is The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson

Curious to hear what you think. 

I have a copy of the book in my dusties but I have been hesitating.  Major Pettigrew was such a gem for me--but I listened to it.  I am on a long wait list for the audio version of Simonson's new book.  If I grow tired of waiting, I'll crack the spine.

• Like 8

prairiegirl - I'm so sorry.  That is devastating.  I hope your Mum is in a good place and does ok, and the rest of you settle back into your home ok.  It's awful when your coping mechanism doesn't work.  Pretty normal, though.  Sometimes you have to start something new.  Reading is such a complete one, too.  I'm glad it is beginning to work for you now.

Lots of hugs,

Nan

• Like 8