Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

jmsahl

How much time per day to spend schooling with 5th grade boy

He's in 5th grade and it currently takes him about 5 hours per day to complete his studies.  Is this a normal amount of homeschool time for a child his age pursuing a classical approach to schooling?  Should I re-evaluate his work load?

Subjects include:

Math,

Language Arts: grammar, spelling, Latin Greek roots for vocabulary, dictionary skills, literature, writing; but not all on the same day

History: world history and state history

Piano lessons/practice

Typing

Science

Lots and lots of reading independently both for fun and books that I've chosen for development/education

Art

TIA

Well, my dd probably spends about 3.5-4 hrs but that doesn't include piano, art, or vocabulary as scheduled school time.  I would guess next year, in 6th grade, she'll spend 5 hours.

If we cut the dawdling DS would probably have spent 4 hrs of school time in 5th. This year in 6th, with dawdling, it's about 4.5-5. Times include 30 min music practicing.

5th grade dd spends 3.5 - 4 but science is done at co-op, no piano and she does art for fun in her own time..... so, probably on track.

We don't spend that long everyday though we do some. However I don't really count reading as he does that for fun by choice and I also don't count outings and audio. Actual seatwork is around three to three and a half hours, sometimes more. We don't do piano or Latin. I don't leave him to work independently much I sit and keep everyone on task so it goes faster.

Edited by Ausmumof3

An hour per grade is the general guide I've heard until high school, so 5 hours for 5th is right on track if you're including everything.

That's about right. My son usually takes about 3-5 hours, depending on his mood for the day ;)

That time does not count his art lessons, band or sports.