Menu

History help! What to use with Great Courses

I'm trying to plan ds's history for next year.  He wants to do World History, and he saw the GC description of "World History: The Fertile Crescent to the American Revolution" and wants to use that along with-whatever.  Any other Great Courses you might suggest, or specific booklists?  We've used Notgrass American History & Uncle Sam and we liked them, but after looking at samples of their World History, it seemed pretty dry.  If we could have a specific spine or 2 plus a bunch of living books, that would be ideal, but I'm open.  He is a voracious reader, so I had been considering SL W but I want this to count towards a credit for 9th grade, and a lot of the books look too light.  He would be fine with it, but I'm just not sure.... Of course, if we did the SL core, we probably wouldn't add the GC.

I don't know, I'm all over the place!  Help!

I don't know how well it correlates with that GC course, but we like the K12 Humah Odyssey texts for world history. Even better and much more detailed are the Oxford U Press books: The World in Ancient Times series and another series for Middle Ages up to the 1700's.

• Like 1

Maybe use the GC as the spine and for each segment add in some more detailed documentaries/reading for that particular time frame.  Perhaps the two of you could brainstorm together on resources that might add to the content and what output would work best.  See if there are any special projects he would be interested in or a specific time frame or event he would like to delve more deeply into and plan on extra time for that.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with that particular one, but I see it only has 30 lectures. That's less than one a week. If you're really going to flesh that out with extra reading it could work. I think that's the first GC course I've seen listed with no bibliography. GC's A Brief History of the World only has 36 lectures and gobs of book recommendations. My rising 8th is going to use their Food: A Cultural Culinary History for her history spine this year. 36 lectures again, so I'll add extra reading and time in the kitchen.

Crash Course has a free world history video set and a new curriculum to go with it. That might be worth a look.

Or some of the Big History stuff.

If you want a simple get 'er done textbook to go with it the Glencoe Mcgraw Hill one with King Tut on the cover gets the job done. The Oak Meadow world history guide goes along with it if you want assignments.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with that particular one, but I see it only has 30 lectures. That's less than one a week. If you're really going to flesh that out with extra reading it could work. I think that's the first GC course I've seen listed with no bibliography. GC's A Brief History of the World only has 36 lectures and gobs of book recommendations. My rising 8th is going to use their Food: A Cultural Culinary History for her history spine this year. 36 lectures again, so I'll add extra reading and time in the kitchen.

Crash Course has a free world history video set and a new curriculum to go with it. That might be worth a look.

Or some of the Big History stuff.

If you want a simple get 'er done textbook to go with it the Glencoe Mcgraw Hill one with King Tut on the cover gets the job done. The Oak Meadow world history guide goes along with it if you want assignments.

Linwood is entertaining, so we thought his course would be a perfect spine.  I new I'd have to add to it, but didn't want to make everything super complicated, which is what I always do, then it all never gets done. :001_smile:  The one you're going to use looks really interesting!  If dd wasn't such a picky eater, I'd consider adding it to ours, and having it be part home ec, too!

There are so many options, I just need to take the time to research.  Crash Course looks good, too.  I briefly looked at the curriculum, but will examine it more, later.  Thanks!

My DS is doing some GC next year for World History too and will be reading Streams of Civilization Volume I and writing summaries of each chapter and a couple papers. He's excited about it, and as textbooks go Streams seems pretty interesting.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk