Menu

s/o decluttering threads -- costume jewelry...

mlktwins

Ok, so I should be doing my taxes, but am cleaning out my closet instead -- LOL. I have a bunch of old costume type jewelry (think Dressbarn, JCPenney, Kohl's, Hecht's) type of jewelry. Some is my mother's that my sister and I split up after she passes (I will be keeping a few of the costume type pieces of hers). Some is mine from high school and my 20's (I am 49 now).

What does one do with this stuff? I don't want to just toss it. I don't want to leave it for my boys to deal with later. I don't have girls :-)! Having read some of the recent threads here, I am wanting to get stuff out. My in-laws are in their 90's (still in their house) and my dad is early 80's (still in his house). I am trying to stay on top of the boys stuff as they outgrow it and I want to make it easy for them to go through my stuff should something happen to me.

Anyway, sorry for too much information :-), but any thoughts on this old jewelry?

Also, if anyone has any ideas for selling gold/silver jewelry, I would love that too. I don't dress up much anymore, but will be keeping my nicer/classic jewelry. I have old rings and stuff that are gold that I would like to get a little something for. Again, I really don't want my kids to have to deal with this. I am just now willing to part with a lot of my mom's stuff and my DH is going to have the hardest time getting rid of anything of his parents when the time comes.

There are some places that do take gold jewelry but I think the payout is low. You might get more money if you list of "lot" of jewlery (four or five pieces) on ebay.

As for costume jewelry, I would take it to the Goodwill or Salvation Army. It isn't worth much, and someone else might find the just right thing for their outfit, plus little girls and dress up....

My great aunts, in their 80s when I was in my elementary years, sent us a bunch of costume jewelry.  We adored playing dress-up and used that jewelry a LOT.  And my sister and I still wore some of it in high school.  Long ago, I paid forward the favor and gave my portion to a family of little girls or to the high school drama department where I taught.  A lot of it was just what they needed.  My sister still has some of hers and wears it, too.  

I just did the same thing with SOME of my costume jewelry a few months ago, and need to do it again.  I'm down to only real stuff and a couple of sentimental pieces...like the gumball machine engagement ring, pure LUCITE, I wore while my dh saved up money to buy my real one.  I figured it would speed up the process to wear that thing.  (I also think I was right!)

:0)

Our local library has a jewelry sale every year, so we donate to that. Probably not helpful to anyone. :-)

If that wasn't available, I'd take it to the thrift store we take our other discards to.

That's a neat idea! Jewelry sale at a library!

Like Anne said, I've donated a batch to a theater company, the rest to goodwill. This after running each piece past dds.

Oh, crafts! I would think more along the lines of art. I went to a mosaic workshop once and the teaching artist had participants who brought in some keepsake trinkets. These were incorporated into beautiful mosaics. You could do the same.

Also, at a wedding I once saw bouquets made of old book page paper flowers and old costume rhinestone jewelry fastened in for some bling.

Ok, so I should be doing my taxes, but am cleaning out my closet instead -- LOL. I have a bunch of old costume type jewelry (think Dressbarn, JCPenney, Kohl's, Hecht's) type of jewelry. Some is my mother's that my sister and I split up after she passes (I will be keeping a few of the costume type pieces of hers). Some is mine from high school and my 20's (I am 49 now).

What does one do with this stuff? I don't want to just toss it. I don't want to leave it for my boys to deal with later. I don't have girls :-)! Having read some of the recent threads here, I am wanting to get stuff out. My in-laws are in their 90's (still in their house) and my dad is early 80's (still in his house). I am trying to stay on top of the boys stuff as they outgrow it and I want to make it easy for them to go through my stuff should something happen to me.

Anyway, sorry for too much information :-), but any thoughts on this old jewelry?

Also, if anyone has any ideas for selling gold/silver jewelry, I would love that too. I don't dress up much anymore, but will be keeping my nicer/classic jewelry. I have old rings and stuff that are gold that I would like to get a little something for. Again, I really don't want my kids to have to deal with this. I am just now willing to part with a lot of my mom's stuff and my DH is going to have the hardest time getting rid of anything of his parents when the time comes.

As for the costume stuff I just went through mine and gave a bunch to a woman who does social work with two adult mentally challenged women. They are sweet sweet 40 year olds with an 8 year olds mind.....they loved my silly old jewelry. Makes me happy when they wear some of it.

• Like 1

Our local library has a jewelry sale every year, so we donate to that.  

So does a feral cat welfare group in our area! 

Indigo Rescue accepts jewelry donations to help support their work:

"Since 1999, Indigo Rescue has held jewelry sales to raise money. This unique fundraising method has gained nationwide attention. Animal lovers from all over the country donate jewelry they no longer wear to us!  Our local supporters love our sales for the huge variety and low prices. Consider donating jewelry you no longer wear to Indigo Rescue. You’ll receive a tax receipt and the satisfaction of knowing that your jewelry is working for homeless pets instead of gathering dust on your dresser! Jewelry can be mailed to our address at: Indigo Rescue PO Box 554 Beaverton, OR 97075."

I Have Wings Breast Cancer Foundation also accepts costume jewelry donations.

I don't personally know anything about either of these groups, but they might be worth looking into! 

• Like 1