Menu

So I just got on the chia seed bandwagon...

I made this recipe for a low-carb chocolate pudding, and it was awesome.

Low-Carb Chocolate Chia Pudding:

0.5C chia seeds

2C unsweetened almond milk

0.5C heavy whipping cream

2T cocoa powder

1T sweetener of choice or to taste (I used a stevia blend)

dash of vanilla

Mix together, let sit at least an hour or two in the fridge or overnight.  

After 2 hours, I had to give it a try.  It was astonishingly good.  I figured it'd be slimy... not at all.  Authentic pudding texture with some slightly crunchy bits in it.  

Have you tried chia?

• Like 2

Nope. Can't do it.

Every time I see them in the store, the "ch-ch-ch-Chia" jingle goes through my head and I think of Chia Pets.

Also, I don't like tiny, crunchy seeds.

But mostly it's the ch-ch-ch-Chia thing. :)

My mom asked me how many chia pets had to die so that I could have my pudding.  LOL

The texture would be like regular pudding with some raspberry hulls in it.  

• Like 9

I assume I can use something other than almond milk right?

Original recipe called for coconut milk.  You can also use regular milk if you aren't worried about carb count.  You could also use water but up the cream a bit.  

ETA  Here's the original https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/12/18/Chocolate-Chia-Pudding  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 2

Nope. Can't do it.

Every time I see them in the store, the "ch-ch-ch-Chia" jingle goes through my head and I think of Chia Pets.

Also, I don't like tiny, crunchy seeds.

But mostly it's the ch-ch-ch-Chia thing. :)

When they're made into pudding, they're not crunchy anymore. They're more phlegm-like.

I served my oldest son chia pudding once and he cried when he tasted it. 

SaveSave

When they're made into pudding, they're not crunchy anymore. They're more phlegm-like.

I served my oldest son chia pudding once and he cried when he tasted it. 

SaveSave

UPDATE:  All my children hated it this morning.  I guess I'll be eating chia pudding for the breakfast for the next few days...  lol.  I want to try a strawberry one next...

• Like 3

I'm obsessed with chia seeds and they have so many health benefits. I put them in my oatmeal. But my very favorite thing for Chia seeds is to make chia seed gel (shake them up in a jar with water) and add the gel to smoothies. Looooove.

I served my oldest son chia pudding once and he cried when he tasted it. Save[/size]Save[/size]

Well, if "phlegm-like" didn't sell me on trying chia seeds, nothing will!!! :lol:

Oh  no..

I want to try it.  I eat low carb so anything new/interesting.....

Please note the aforementioned "phlegm-like" description. :D

Perhaps you may wish to buy the smallest possible bag, just in case.

I'm not trying them. I don't like tiny crunchy things because they get caught in my teeth and also because I think "phlegm-like" speaks for itself. I vote that you be the guinea pig and report back.

• Like 2

Well, if "phlegm-like" didn't sell me on trying chia seeds, nothing will!!! :lol:

Please note the aforementioned "phlegm-like" description. :D

Perhaps you may wish to buy the smallest possible bag, just in case.

I'm not trying them. I don't like tiny crunchy things because they get caught in my teeth and also because I think "phlegm-like" speaks for itself. I vote that you be the guinea pig and report back.

yeah I'm nervous about that

I do like tiny crunchy things.  Low carb involves a lot of not crunchy foods so that part interests me.  But the phlegm idea...not so much..LOL 

• Like 2

I love chia seeds so much. In drinks, as pudding, whatever. I love the texture.

I have them piling up all over my house because my husband keeps buying them and I forget to use them. Which makes it sound like I'm being sarcastic with my first statement. But I'm not. I truly love them with all my heart.

• Like 2

You can grind your chia seeds, and then they won't be crunchy. And I don't find they feel phlegmy in my mouth either.

What I use them for most, though, is a binder. They've completely revolutionized my meatballs and potato pancakes!

I've heard grinding them releases a bitter flavor- what do you say?

How do you use them as a binder?

• Like 1

I haven't tasted anything bitter, but I flavor everything so strongly it might just be covered up!

As for using as a binder, if I'm feeding four people I'll add a tablespoon of chia seeds and perhaps an egg - no flour, no oats, no breadcrumbs. Then just let it sit 15 minutes before cooking. My meatballs are meatier and they never fall apart anymore. My potato pancakes, likewise, but without the meat.

• Like 1

I've never been allergic to a food before, but both times I tried making chia dishes I had a tingling in my mouth and palpitations . . . weird. 

I've heard of food sensitivity issues being pretty common with chia seeds, which is the other reason I'm not eating them multiple times daily.