Menu

Help me plan our (not first) trip to the Netherlands

Penguin

I have had the good fortune to go to the Netherlands many times. In May, our family will be there for two weeks. We are going for an event, but will have plenty of free time. We will be in the Amsterdam/Hague/Leiden area, and have already been to most of the major attractions in these cities.

If you have any favorite lesser known things to see and do there, please say so! Any bookstores and/or stationery shops I should know about?

Otherwise, I would like some ideas for day trips from the region. I have been to Delft, Scheveningen Beach,and Keukenhof.

I have never been to:

Utrecht

Rotterdam

Gouda

Zaanse Schans (ok, well I was there once in the 1980s)

Madurodam

Haarlem

We will repeat some of the things we have done before, because not everyone has been to everything. And one person in our group has never been to Europe before. But I would like to see something new, too :)

Leiden has a pelgrim museum:

http://www.leidenamericanpilgrimmuseum.org/index.htm

Very Small and unknown among Dutch.

If you are science guys you might be interested in:

Boerhave (leiden), Teylers (Haarlem)

Haarlem has also the Corry ten Boom house.

Madurodam is fun to do when you already have seen some things of the Netherlands.

But be aware of the may-holiday in the first two weeks of may, then it is very crowded.

Gouda is known of it's market square and old town hall (stadhuis)

I suppose there is a candle museum, as 'Gouda' is a brand for candles ( and also a brand for cheese)

I'll post this before I'll lose this

• Like 2

Kinderdijk might be interested if you like typical dutch landscape.

If my memory works well, you can rent bikes and cycle.

Alphen aan den Rijn (also written as Alphen a/d Rijn) was on the roman lime border.

Archeon is an open air museum about prehistory - ancient - middle ages

If you are interested in christianity, 'Catherijne Convent' (Utrecht) is very worthwhile to visit.

'Nijntje' has its own museum, but Rietveld too.

(Rietveld and Mondriaan were famous for the art style 'the style')

• Like 2

Are you able to travel a little outside the area?

Then I really recommend:

https://www.neeltjejans.nl/en/

And pay for the guided tour to get in the 'caissons'.

Tulips, cheese and wooden shoes are nice :)

But ' de deltawerken' (defend system against the sea water) is something I am really proud of.

You should indeed be proud of 'de deltawerken.' Pretty spectacular engineering, I'd say.

Loesje, is Haarlem pretty like Leiden? The Corrie ten Boom house and the Frans Hals art museum look good to me.

And I would so love to go to the nijnte museum in Utrecht, but I wonder if it is only fun for preschoolers. I am a die-hard fan, though :)

You should indeed be proud of 'de deltawerken.' Pretty spectacular engineering, I'd say.

Loesje, is Haarlem pretty like Leiden? The Corrie ten Boom house and the Frans Hals art museum look good to me.

And I would so love to go to the nijnte museum in Utrecht, but I wonder if it is only fun for preschoolers. I am a die-hard fan, though :)

I am wondering about the Nijntje Museum, too. I will have to go in any case :)

And I'd love to visit the Corrie ten Boom house, also.

• Like 1

Leiden and Haarlem have some similarities, the inner city is walkable from the train stations par example.

I think Haarlem has more international importance, and Leiden has more national (personal) importance if that makes sense.

As pre schoolers need their parents, they made the museum interesting for adults too. As Dick Bruna died recently is suppose their will be something about his life.

If nothing has changed 'het gemeentemuseum' is at the other side of the street, and one can visit both museum at the seem ticket. These 2 + Catherijne Convent are in the same area of the inner city.

One can also climb the dom or visit the domchurch.

We did not visit Frans Hals museum that day in Haarlem, we neede a lot of time in the Teyler museum.

I am wondering about the Nijntje Museum, too. I will have to go in any case :)

And I'd love to visit the Corrie ten Boom house, also.

Visiting the CtB house is impressive, even after reading her books and watching the movie....