Menu

Veritas press self paced history question

busymama7

I heard about this program on a podcast and have a few questions.

If I buy the course, do I have access to it forever? I noticed that it asked for how many students so that's what I wasn't sure about. I don't need to keep track of who is doing what or anything. We would all do it together.

I would be interested in using it in a morning time setting for my elementary age kids and was hoping to be able to re use it the next time we came around to American history. (As I still have more coming up the ranks 😊)

If not this is there a great courses set that is particularly good for youngerish kids and a range of kids? I also have high schoolers and often gear it to them and let the others just get what they get knowing we will come back around to it. So a great high school course that covers the same general time period (1815-present is the one I'm looking at) might be another option for me.

Thanks!

You only have access to it for a year. You can use it for multiple children if you are not concerned about them keeping their grade saved as it will only save the first child who takes it. I have multiple children using it and have never had an issue with it. They each just write down their scores in their history notebook. 

We have really enjoyed it! Hope that helps. Now is a good time to buy with it being $100 off and you can defer the start date if needed. 

You can use it for all the kids but it would be hard to use it together at the same time. It is a series of videos broken up by multiple choice questions and games. Only one child can play the games at a time (which in my house would lead to a big problem ;-) ). It's not really a program you can just sit down and watch/listen to together. It's designed to be interactive with the student. There are meant to be 5 lessons a week. The new card is introduced on Monday. The material is taught Tues-Thursday and every Friday is a quiz on the card. The lessons vary quite a bit in length (with Fri being the shortest as it is only the quiz) but are generally 15-20 minutes. It would be almost impossible to use the program to study only specific things as the games review all the previous material and usually do not let you go on until you've played them.

You can use it for all the kids but it would be hard to use it together at the same time. It is a series of videos broken up by multiple choice questions and games. Only one child can play the games at a time (which in my house would lead to a big problem ;-) ). It's not really a program you can just sit down and watch/listen to together. It's designed to be interactive with the student. There are meant to be 5 lessons a week. The new card is introduced on Monday. The material is taught Tues-Thursday and every Friday is a quiz on the card. The lessons vary quite a bit in length (with Fri being the shortest as it is only the quiz) but are generally 15-20 minutes. It would be almost impossible to use the program to study only specific things as the games review all the previous material and usually do not let you go on until you've played them.

Thanks for this info. I just signed up for ancient Egypt/Old Testament for my upcoming 2nd grader. And Omnibus 1 Primary for the 7th. I understood Omnibus being 5 days a week, but I thought the lower level history was not as many lessons. The syllabus has 32 topics, but I don't know how many days that breaks down to.

And, for what it's worth, I calculated book costs at VP vs Amazon for Omnibus 1 p, and it was $90 at amazon vs $130 at VP. Six of the twelve were available at my library and a few for as little as $.99 or free kindle editions, so that cost can be lowered considerably [emoji106]

Edited by MDL

Ok this is very helpful. The mom who was on the podcast said her kids just took turns answering the questions but she didn't say anything about the games.

I like the look at this but (aside from math and very rarely English stuff) I avoid anything with a bazillion lessons. It just doesn't work for us. Neither does everyone doing their own thing for the content subjects.

I love the idea of some visual, video, tech based lessons but I don't think this is the one. I've also learned that I'm just not a teacher so I like have things presented to us by someone who is and we all learn together.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears :)

Edited by busymama7