Menu

Chromebooks

Roadrunner

I need a functional computer for kids to get online for their classes (canvas and blackboard) and do word processing. I keep hearing about chromebooks. Can you recommend a computer?

I don't want a PC. Every time we buy one, it gets broken so quickly. I love my mac, but it's too expensive for kids. I need two small functioning laptops.

• Like 1

I have ahd 2 chormebooks. I like them for wordprocessing, quick searching. There are a few sites they can't run (anything using UNITY player software). So I would check the sites you want to use, if they don't state specifically that they run on Chromebooks, I would email them and ask. (Like I use some CTC downloadable software, not apps, and those need PCs.)

My only recommendation is get at LEAST 4gb ram. I have had samsung and like them. I will most likely add one more to our tech arsenal.

• Like 2

I have a small Samsung chromebook 3 and I love it. It was less than $200 at Best Buy and I haven't had to add anything to it that cost money. I can use Google Docs or get free MS Word and Excel when connected to wi-fi. It's small but is perfect for what I needed which was budgeting and normal web browsing stuff. 

• Like 1

I love our Chromebook bit it is not a PC or laptop replacement. It can do about 90% of what we need.

Pros:

Lightweight

Starts quick

Cons:

Needs Internet to do pretty much everything

Can't install python

Word processing is through Google documents.

• Like 1

I bought an Acer Chromebook 14 last May. I absolutely love it! My needs are simple and it does everything I need. It simply works w/o any headaches or aggravation. I can't imagine ever going back to a Windows based device.

I was recommended an Acer as well. Then I read we couldn't access classes in it. Do you know if we can log on and use Blackboard and Canvas class software on it?

In posts #5 and #6 ACER Chromebooks were recommended.  It is not a Chromebook, it is a Windows laptop, but we have an ACER in the house. My wife bought it for DIL during August 2015 because the older Dell Enterprise model laptops we have are too big/heavy for her to lug around all day in her backpack, so she has it when she is in school at night.  I think it only has 2 GB of RAM.  When they went to the store it had  Windows 8.1 but the sales person asked if they wanted it upgraded to Windows 10 and someone (my wife?) said yes and it is on Windows 10.  It has been trouble free.  That is the only ACER product I know about, but it has been trouble free and that is the only thing one can hope/pray for, when one purchases something. I think my wife paid approximately USD$300 for it. Prices here include 16% VAT tax.

Lots and lots of people are using Chromebooks, but a Windows or Linux  PC can probably do a lot of things that I doubt a Chromebook can do. Online or Offline.

When you mentioned classes, you included Canvas. If you are referring to Canvas.Net https://www.canvas.net/  I took a MOOC course with them, last month, using this Windows 7 Mobile Workstation and there were no issues.  

GL with whatever you buy!

• Like 1

I was recommended an Acer as well. Then I read we couldn't access classes in it. Do you know if we can log on and use Blackboard and Canvas class software on it?

Unfortunately I don't know. But if Blackboard works on an Asus Chromebook as Blondeviolen said then I would think it would work on an Acer, too?

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific question.

I have a HP Chromebook and it is great for most of what I want.  It's lite weight.  The battery lasts for hours and hours. Our printer works with it.  But ... what I really miss is the ability to use DVDs or CDs.

We have had a couple of issues.  I think we had my Chromebook (14?) for about a year-and-a-half when it died.  My DH replaced the solid-state hard drive for $30.  I don't think it was easy.   We also own two 11's.  My dd can no longer get hers to download from Google drive (I'm not a computer person, so I think that's what she said) and the battery only holds a charge for about three hours instead of the original 6-8.

And then there's the big one - no delete button.   :laugh:   So annoying in the beginning.

They are convenient as long as you have internet.