Menu

Need a meal idea for 50-60 people, including children

mom31257

Our library is having an evening storytime for needy families. They are serving dinner as well. We are considering providing the meal one night. The group has had Subway, chicken & rice, spaghetti, and lasagna. They have take home plates for families who arrive late, and those won't accommodate any soup or chili. 

I would love to hear any ideas you have because I've never fed a group that large. There is one family who is vegetarian, but the library can provide them a meal of their own. That's the only restriction. 

I've made be chicken enchilada casseroles to feed large groups, I'm sure there are recipes online; the version I made had lots of sour cream and was not very spicy at all. Pairs well with salad.

Another option would be baked ham, potato and cheese casserole, and a salad.

This sounds like a really neat program.

• Like 1

This may be somewhat regional, but this is a common meal for larger groups in my area.

We do BBQ sandwiches and sides. I precook chicken and pork in my crockpot or Insta-Pot and shred it for sandwiches. Then I make a bunch of coleslaw and potato salad. I either buy cookies or make several sheet cakes. Then from the store I get buns, beans, several kinds of sauce, and chips.

I've even been to several weddings with this menu where the friends provided all of the food!

• Like 1

I am with Heigh Ho. Wraps are great because you can simply put all the fillings out making sure there are a lot of veggie options plus several dressings. This makes it easy for the vegetarian family, and as a general rule, it isn't too messy. Then put out some fruit, whatever is in season.

One really yummy filling is a blend of cream cheese and ranch dressing with chopped green olives in it.

• Like 2

Burrito bowls--basically you make items you would put inside a burrito (meat, rice, beans) and serve in a bowl with toppings like lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and/or salsa, etc. You could do slow cooked chicken and/or pork since those are more economical, as well as roasted or grilled veggies. If you go with pork, this recipe for Slow Cooker Carnitas https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/03/slow-cooker-carnitas/ looks amazing.

Chicken pot pie casserole--my favorite recipe for this is from Mel's Kitchen Cafe: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/chicken-pot-pie-crumble/ Instead of having crusts, it has a biscuit-like topping. You could probably make a veggie version fairly easily if you wanted to (substitute mushrooms for chicken, use vegetable broth in place of chicken). I would serve this casserole with green salad and fresh fruit.

Ground meat stir-fry--I've made this recipe from Budget Bytes quite a few times and it's so good: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/08/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/

I've adapted it quite a bit. I use ground turkey instead of beef (usually turkey is a better price plus I think it has a lighter flavor which works well in this dish), use packaged broccoli slaw instead of the cabbage and carrots, double or triple the stir fry sauce, and use less Sriracha than it calls for for a milder flavor. I serve this with edamame, white rice, and orange slices. I'm not sure how this would do as a make-ahead but it does seem to hold well, so I think you'd be okay to make it slightly ahead of time (like the afternoon of the day you're serving it) and once done hold it in a slow cooker on low until time to serve. If doing it this way, you might cook the veggies and meat separately, put just the meat in the slow cooker on low, add most of the veggies closer to serving time holding some back for the vegetarian family.

• Like 2

There's a SC dish called Chicken Bog....it's chicken and rice and feeds a ton.  http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2015/10/08/the-best-dish-youve-never-had-chicken-bog/

A similar dish that is really easy to make is arroz con pollo.  I follow this recipe, but use the yellow rice packets you can get at the store in place of the rice and saffron. 

You could do BBQ chicken or beef sliders, too.  Add fruit salad, green salad, and maybe baked beans.

For dessert, I'd do a Texas Sheet Cake or just buy a Costco cake. 

• Like 1