Menu

So I'm going to have surgery in six weeks or so...

And I'm nervous!  I've never had surgery before, except my tonsils when I was 3-4 years old.  

It's an umbilical hernia repair, and it's complicated enough that it will be open rather than laparoscopic.  He'll also bring together my diastaseis recti and excise some stretched skin form above my belly button where my hernia pokes out.  I was really happy with his treatment plan, as it corresponds to what my research said was the best way to go.  I've been able to "manage" my hernia for 10 years using diastasis recti ab exercises, but after baby 4 a second hernia has appeared and the first is no better. 

What should I consider to help with healing?  I'm looking at glucosamine/chondroiten, collagen, vitamin C/zinc, iron, and scar away patches.  Anything else I should think about?

• Like 2

Well, seeing the ages of your kidlets, adult help at home the first week at least, longer if possible. You won't be carrying anything heavy for a while, or driving, and will need plenty of rest. I had three c-sections before, years later, my surgery to reconnect those abdominal muscles, remove excess skin, etc. You will probably have to wear an abdominal binder for several weeks afterwards - the ones provided in hospital I dislike - my surgeon loved this one I found on Amazon:  Baby Belly Band - Pregnancy & Maternity Support Belt - For Abdominal, Hip, & Back Support by Cabea. Yeah, made for pregnant ladies, but works as abdominal binder for whatever reason.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Do whatever exercises the physio-therapist tells you to do, and do them when they tell you to do them. You may want to baby yourself, which is normal, but do the exercises even if you don't want to. They do help in your recovery.

Do NOT do the things your surgeon tells you to avoid, such as lifting, going up stairs, etc. 

Listen to your body, and rest before you get exhausted.

Eat protein and other healthy foods.

• Like 3

I can offer advice: have someone stay w/ you and attend to you. I was in a so-called boutique, awesome hospital for my surgery (I've had several in four decades: gallbladder, endometriosis, C-section and back surgery) and the ones that haven't been "out patient" were not fun.

They didn't tell me that I'd wake up to a catheter. . . okay, whatever. . . but when a young man, maybe 25 or 27ish, wanted to take me to the bathroom in the middle of the night? Gross and no. He's not an RN, he's a young man with not much of a medical degree.

And if you don't believe me read the book, The Medical Heretic. It's a dr. who explains why you should have someone stay w/ you in the hospital. And then you'll be fine.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 2

Sorry you need to have surgery. I've had surgeries a number of times. It is far easier now, than when I was a young boy. I wish you did not have so long to dread it.  :-)  A week or 2 would be better.  :-)

I assume that the surgeons there are as competent as those in the USA, Mexico and here in Colombia.  

The one thing they do here in Colombia (I believe the insurance companies require it) that I never experienced in the USA, was that they *require* you to have an appointment with the Anesthesiologist, before the surgery. Write down every medical problem you have ever had. Write down any allergies to medicines that you might have. Tell the Anesthesiologist everything that might help him or her treat you better.  Also, they usually require a 2nd opinion before approving surgery. I think both of those things are great.

I had a Left Inguinal surgery fixed in TX.  When I woke up, I had an I.V. in me and I was in worse shape than I had anticipated before the surgery. He told me not to drive my car (which had an Automatic transmission) for 2 or 3 weeks. I complied with that.  I was single at that time and I boarded my dog before the surgery. Not suggesting that you board your DC, but you should have someone to take care of them.  I don't know how your Hernia will compare with my Hernia, regarding recovery, but each day after the surgery, one has less discomfort and that's the idea.  I think after a few days, I was able to walk my dog, but I would not have been able to pick her up.  A neighbors son drove me to the supermarket, when I needed to stock up. The surgeon told me that probably I could drive, but that if I needed to step hard on the Brakes, there was nothing holding me together.  He was very convincing and I did not risk that...

The last surgeries I've had were done here. I had my Nose repaired in January1999.  That was done under General Anesthesia. When we went for the appointment with the Anesthesiologist, she told us that if I didn't have that fixed, it could cause Cardiac problems.  Had our E.N.T. doctor told me that, I would have had the surgery a long time before that. That was done "Out patient" and was probably the easiest surgery I've had, with regard to Recovery, other than the LASIK surgeries.

The LASIK surgeries were done under Local Anesthesia.  One eye one day and then 2 or 3 days later, the other eye.

And then, the Vasectomy was done under Local Anesthesia.  

Try not to worry about it. Easier said than done I know. Have someone who will care for your DC and take it easy after the surgery.

• Like 2

Well, seeing the ages of your kidlets, adult help at home the first week at least, longer if possible. Yoiu won't be carrying anything heavy for a while, or driving, and will need plenty of rest. I had three c-sections before, years later, my surgery to reconnect those abdominal muscles, remove excess skin, etc. You will probably have to wear an abdominal binder for several weeks afterwards - the ones provided in hospital I dislike - my surgeon loved this one I found on Amazon Baby Belly Band - Pregnancy & Maternity Support Belt - For Abdominal, Hip, & Back Support by Cabea. Yeah, made for pregnant ladies, but works as abdominal binder for whatever reason.

Thanks so much for the recommendation.  I've been looking at binders on amazon but the choices are overwhelming!  

• Like 1

I can offer advice: have someone stay w/ you and attend to you. I was in a so-called boutique, awesome hospital for my surgery (I've had several in four decades: gallbladder, endometriosis, C-section and back surgery) and the ones that haven't been "out patient" were not fun.

They didn't tell me that I'd wake up to a catheter. . . okay, whatever. . . but when a young man, maybe 25 or 27ish, wanted to take me to the bathroom in the middle of the night? Gross and no. He's not an RN, he's a young man with not much of a medical degree.

And if you don't believe me read the book, The Medical Heretic. It's a dr. who explains why you should have someone stay w/ you in the hospital. And then you'll be fine.

Alley

Thank you!  My mom will be here with the kids, so DH should be able to stay with me.  Great idea.  

• Like 1

Sorry you need to have surgery. I've had surgeries a number of times. It is far easier now, than when I was a young boy. I wish you did not have so long to dread it.  :-)  A week or 2 would be better.  :-)

I assume that the surgeons there are as competent as those in the USA, Mexico and here in Colombia.  

And then, the Vasectomy was done under Local Anesthesia.  

Try not to worry about it. Easier said than done I know. Have someone who will care for your DC and take it easy after the surgery.

Thank you for all the good advice.  He offered me an appointment in 2 weeks, but I need for my mom to come from California to help, so took the later date.  

Our doctors here are wonderful.  I really liked this guy and feel I'm in god hands.  We also have the pre-op meeting with the anesthesiologist, and I'm making a list of questions/comments based on some of the good info in this thread.  

• Like 2

Thank you for all the good advice.  He offered me an appointment in 2 weeks, but I need for my mom to come from California to help, so took the later date.  

Our doctors here are wonderful.  I really liked this guy and feel I'm in god hands.  We also have the pre-op meeting with the anesthesiologist, and I'm making a list of questions/comments based on some of the good info in this thread.  

The Pre Op appointment with the Anesthesiologist is a WONDERFUL thing. They did not do that, when I had the Hernia surgery in TX.  I didn't sleep, the night before, thinking the Anesthesiologist would come in, to talk with me, but he never did.  In the morning, I would not let them Prep me for surgery, until I spoke with him. That was a very bad experience, to put it mildly.

Great that your mother will be there to help you and your family, while you are recovering!

• Like 1

I have had four surgeries in the last year. Do Not take the supplements you mentioned in the original post UNLESS they were prescribed by the surgeon because they may speed up collagen formation and promote scarring. Scars can be external, but I am mostly referring to internal scarring which can be extremely painful. My surgeon did not let me take any vitamins or even eat too much fruit because the vitamins promote collagen/scarring. Your body knows how to heal, the trick is to keep it from healing in such a way that scars form.

I have a few things to say about post operative nausea, but I am recovering from surgery two weeks ago and need a nap right this moment. :)

• Like 2

I have had four surgeries in the last year. Do Not take the supplements you mentioned in the original post UNLESS they were prescribed by the surgeon because they may speed up collagen formation and promote scarring. Scars can be external, but I am mostly referring to internal scarring which can be extremely painful. My surgeon did not let me take any vitamins or even eat too much fruit because the vitamins promote collagen/scarring. Your body knows how to heal, the trick is to keep it from healing in such a way that scars form.

I have a few things to say about post operative nausea, but I am recovering from surgery two weeks ago and need a nap right this moment. :)

Thank you for this advice.  I will talk to the doctor about it.  The information is so conflicting about post-surgery supplements.  

• Like 1

Okay back after a refreshing two hour nap.

Here's what you need to do to avoid post-surgical nausea; I suggest you make a list and take it to the surgeon. I have post-surgical hyperemesisunless I take this magical combination of meds. The night before surgery, put a scopolamine patch behind your ear, and wear it for three days after surgery. Take zofran and an H2 blocker (I think mine was zantac) before surgery. I was also given a muscle relaxer, cyclobenzaprene, but I don't think that was to help nausea. When I take these meds, I have no post-surgical nausea, and I normally vomit for days after surgery. I was also instructed to keep taking the zofran while I was taking opiod pain meds.

Scopolamine patch

Zofran

Phenergan (I didn't use it but it was prescribed for nausea)

They should also give you Hibiclens soap to wash with the night before surgery and the morning of surgery.

Surgery and anesthesia is very safe these days, much safer than it was even twenty years ago. If you are nervous the morning of surgery, don't hesitate to ask the nurse for some valium to help you relax.

Good luck; please check in when you are able to so we know you are feeling better!

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

Oh, I see others mentioned the need post-opt for stool softeners.  Yeah, the "plumbing" kinda forgets how to work after anesthesia, also depending on the pain relief it can be constipating :-(  (just what you need, grrr).  Whatever you are offered, Miralax, Phillips Milk of Mag. (yucky thick white minty stuff), etc. TAKE IT.  They might not let you go home until you have a bowel movement.  As soon as you can, hang onto hubby or the i.v. pole and (with nurse supervision/permission, don't just do it yourself the first time) get out of bed and WALK.  You may be sore, and slow, and not standing up fully straight, but get up and move.  Helps wake up the bowels, too.  If you can start passing gas, that is good - joke that it is your "propellant" to help you walk faster (humor helps recovery process and amuses the nurses a bit.  Being the funny patient instead of the cranky one might get you extra Jello, you never know).

Sorry to be gross, but getting my post-c'section repair job not my only abdominal surgery now (thanks to a car crash almost three years ago) so I am getting VERY good at this.  Including c-sections I have had EIGHT major abdominal surgeries.  I now live with a hernia that can not be repaired, so I wear that binder I recommended daily (to avoid the need for a ninth surgery) and will until I go six feet under.  Might wear it then too ;-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Okay back after a refreshing two hour nap.

Here's what you need to do to avoid post-surgical nausea; I suggest you make a list and take it to the surgeon. I have post-surgical hyperemesisunless I take this magical combination of meds. The night before surgery, put a scopolamine patch behind your ear, and wear it for three days after surgery. Take zofran and an H2 blocker (I think mine was zantac) before surgery. I was also given a muscle relaxer, cyclobenzaprene, but I don't think that was to help nausea. When I take these meds, I have no post-surgical nausea, and I normally vomit for days after surgery. I was also instructed to keep taking the zofran while I was taking opiod pain meds.

Scopolamine patch

Zofran

Phenergan (I didn't use it but it was prescribed for nausea)

They should also give you Hibiclens soap to wash with the night before surgery and the morning of surgery.

Surgery and anesthesia is very safe these days, much safer than it was even twenty years ago. If you are nervous the morning of surgery, don't hesitate to ask the nurse for some valium to help you relax.

Good luck; please check in when you are able to so we know you are feeling better!

I'll take this to the anesthesiologist appointment!  

Oh, I see others mentioned the need post-opt for stool softeners.  Yeah, the "plumbing" kinda forgets how to work after anesthesia, also depending on the pain relief it can be constipating :-(  (just what you need, grrr).  Whatever you are offered, Miralax, Phillips Milk of Mag. (yucky thick white minty stuff), etc. TAKE IT.  They might not let you go home until you have a bowel movement.  As soon as you can, hang onto hubby or the i.v. pole and (with nurse supervision/permission, don't just do it yourself the first time) get out of bed and WALK.  You may be sore, and slow, and not standing up fully straight, but get up and move.  Helps wake up the bowels, too.  If you can start passing gas, that is good - joke that it is your "propellant" to help you walk faster (humor helps recovery process and amuses the nurses a bit.  Being the funny patient instead of the cranky one might get you extra Jello, you never know).

Sorry to be gross, but getting my post-c'section repair job not my only abdominal surgery now (thanks to a car crash almost three years ago) so I am getting VERY good at this.  Including c-sections I have had EIGHT major abdominal surgeries.  I now live with a hernia that can not be repaired, so I wear that binder I recommended daily (to avoid the need for a ninth surgery) and will until I go six feet under.  Might wear it then too ;-)

:grouphug:  That's a lot of surgeries.  Sorry you've had to go through all that!  Thanks for the good advice.  

• Like 1