Menu

New Zoloft User needs advice

Axxx Dean

I was just put on Zoloft and took my first dose yesterday (50 mgs) I've never taken anything like it before and was nauseous through the evening and might was told to cut it in half next time but i mostly just feel like laying around and feel rough and I'm nervous about it

I had a weird side effect (felt like UTI but wasn't) with an anti-depressant once. It went away when I stopped taking the drug. All that to say-if it doesn't go away, your body might be reacting weird and you'll have to try something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 mg is high for a starting dose. I (and others I know) all started out with 25mg. I posted on your other thread, too. Definitely cut them in half and just take 25 for at least a week. Then you can up it to 50. I currently take 25 mg because its all I need. Going up to 50mg didn't make much difference for me. There are LOTS of seratonin receptors in your stomach and intestinal tract. Actually, most of the seratonin in our bodies is produced in cells in the intestines. That's the reason for your side effects. It gets better in a few days, but cutting back to 25mg will definitely help.

Edited by stephensgirls

Thank you all I took my first pill over 24 hours ago but today I was feeling really anxious and started sweating the pharmacist said I shouldn't be having effects after 24 hours from just 1 pill anyone else felt the same that long after 1 pill?

Thank you all I took my first pill over 24 hours ago but today I was feeling really anxious and started sweating the pharmacist said I shouldn't be having effects after 24 hours from just 1 pill anyone else felt the same that long after 1 pill?

You might be if the pill was a high dose. I've had side effects from one pill before.

Also, keep in mind that you can have a sort of negative placebo effect if you're already having anxiety. The symptoms you're experiencing could just be nerves from worrying about the Zoloft's side effects. It's a vicious cycle, I know.

Unless I'm having actual allergy symptoms like hives or trouble breathing, I try to give new meds at least a week before I write them off due to side effects.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 1

Also, keep in mind that you can have a sort of negative placebo effect if you're already having anxiety. The symptoms you're experiencing could just be nerves from worrying about the Zoloft's side effects. It's a vicious cycle, I know.

Unless I'm having actual allergy symptoms like hives or trouble breathing, I try to give new meds at least a week before I write them off due to side effects.

Yes! This has happened to me. I totally agree with this. Reduce the dose and try again.

My 12 month stint on Zoloft produced a lot of anxiety every single time I increased dosage- even 0-25mg. My NP had prepared me for this side effect- But I still felt like I wanted to jump out my own skin. Eventually you adapt but for me, from day 1 I could tell.

My daughter started it a few months ago. The doctor told her to cut the pills in half and take a half dose for the first week. Then the pharmacist said the same thing. LOL

She still said she felt a little bit weird for about a week. But the side effects did go away.

I take a different SSRI, and the first week was brutal (I did NOT take a half dose). But life was so much better after I got past the side effects. Hang in there.

At the hospital they said there was nothing medically wrong with me..but after taking 1 dose of 50mg and 1 dose of 25 mgs..i just feel like i want to lay around all day..the nausea wasnt as bad after the 25mg..but the tiredness is scary..makes you wonder if its the pill or something else

I was so tired when I started my ssri that it wasn't even safe to drive for a few days at least. I'm very sensitive to this kind of medication and started with just a 1/4 of my dose and still had this side effect. Try to stick with it if you can.

• Like 1

Thank you all..its just scary feeling tired like you dont want to do anything.much....it makes me feel more at ease that others had the same and that its probably just the meds after 2 doses

Lethargy is extremely common with SSRIs. It's annoying, but it's nothing medically dangerous. For some people it goes away; for some it doesn't and they either learn to deal with it or try a different med. I had a horrible time with it on Lexapro, not much at all on Paxil. It's really a trade off between the side effects of a med and the benefit you get from it. For someone like me with debilitating OCD, it's definitely worth it. (I'm pregnant right now, but I'm counting down the days until I can go back on my meds.) For someone with, for example, mild depression, it might not be, depending on the side effects. But either way, you're probably not going to feel the full benefit of the medication until at least six weeks in, so if you can help it, wait until then and see how you feel before you decide anything.

• Like 1

Lethargy is extremely common with SSRIs. It's annoying, but it's nothing medically dangerous. For some people it goes away; for some it doesn't and they either learn to deal with it or try a different med. I had a horrible time with it on Lexapro, not much at all on Paxil. It's really a trade off between the side effects of a med and the benefit you get from it. For someone like me with debilitating OCD, it's definitely worth it. (I'm pregnant right now, but I'm counting down the days until I can go back on my meds.) For someone with, for example, mild depression, it might not be, depending on the side effects. But either way, you're probably not going to feel the full benefit of the medication until at least six weeks in, so if you can help it, wait until then and see how you feel before you decide anything.

My daughter had lethargy horribly the first couple or three weeks on Zoloft (and then again for about a week when they upped her dose), but, unlike Mergath, when she went on Lexapro she never had an issue and it's done nothing other than to relieve her depression.  How you individually react to any given drug will be different, so while I'd definitely give Zoloft a couple or three more weeks before switching, if it's not lessening after the first week or so, talk to the doctor about trying something else.  It just may not be the right one for you.  Your symptoms after just a couple days don't surprise me in the least.

• Like 1