Menu

Trouble STAYING asleep.....something that is helping

Ottakee

A while back I posted a thread on having trouble STAYING asleep (but I can't find it and search is of no help).

I fall asleep quickly and easily most nights....honestly within 1-2 minutes of settling down to sleep.  The issue is that very often I am waking up about 4/4:30 in the morning and not able to get back to sleep despite being quite tired.

I have tried extended release melatonin and it helps some but not a great deal.

Something that DOES seem to be working is eating some protein RIGHT before going to bed.....as in grabbing a cheese stick to eat as I walk to my bedroom to climb into bed.  I hope this holds up as the past few nights when I have done this I have slept through the night.  I am wondering if it was a blood sugar issue or something.  My fasting blood sugar is perfect though.

Any other ideas for those that wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep?

If it matters, I am mid 40s and the change is upon me so I am sure hormones play a role as well.

• Like 3

I fall asleep quickly and easily most nights....honestly within 1-2 minutes of settling down to sleep.  The issue is that very often I am waking up about 4/4:30 in the morning and not able to get back to sleep despite being quite tired.

This is my problem, too.  I do eat a protein bar about 90 minutes before bed so I don't think the protein would help me.  I wake up every two hours and then am wide awake around 4/4:30 no matter how exhausted I am.  It's so frustrating and I hate being tired all the time.

I have friends who have had good results with apple cider vinegar but I haven't tried that yet.

I'll just share what I do and it totally works and I had the change of life two years ago: when -- not "if" -- I wake up at 4 a.m. and again at 6 a.m., I put on my headphones that I keep under my pillow attached to my iPod and listen to my favorite radio show podcast. The two men are funny as heck and don't really drone, but as I focus on their sentences my brain falls back to sleep within two minutes max. I've been doing this for two years now.

You could listen to any podcast that is friendly and comforting to you.

Alley

• Like 3

I think the protein before bed might be a good idea. I've been getting head-aches and feeling hungry at night, which keeps me awake. I'm having pistachios right before bed tonight, so we'll try it out.

Also, being warm enough, or not too hot, is an issue for me in getting and staying asleep. I start off cold, but need to shed layers by the middle of the night.

And if someone could figure out how to stop needing to go pee at night, that would help staying asleep, too.  :laugh:   I have no intention of stopping/reducing drinking my herbal tea and water. I think I'm going to be out of luck unless I use a catheter. ;)

I'll just share what I do and it totally works and I had the change of life two years ago: when -- not "if" -- I wake up at 4 a.m. and again at 6 a.m., I put on my headphones that I keep under my pillow attached to my iPod and listen to my favorite radio show podcast. The two men are funny as heck and don't really drone, but as I focus on their sentences my brain falls back to sleep within two minutes max. I've been doing this for two years now.

Alley

You can do this and order these headphones to help! 

https://www.amazon.com/CozyPhones-Headphones-Speakers-Meditation-Relaxation/dp/B014T3QLBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489457714&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sleep+headphones&psc=1

And if someone could figure out how to stop needing to go pee at night, that would help staying asleep, too.  :laugh:   I have no intention of stopping/reducing drinking my herbal tea and water. I think I'm going to be out of luck unless I use a catheter. ;)

This is a big issue for me, too!  I feel like I can't complain about getting up every two hours since I drink so much all the way until bedtime!  

Alley

Exactly what I do.

Alley

This is what I do too. I have sleep headphones that I wear (they're a fleece headband with flat speakers inside and no cord) and listen to an audiobook or podcast. If I listen to a book, I usually pick one of the Harry Potter books. I'm very familiar with them and the narrator has a lovely, soothing voice. Works very well and if it doesn't, I get to listen to a book or podcast for a bit and not think about the fact that I'm not sleeping.