Menu

Need clothes help for a college graduation in May

Alicia64

I'm going to my good friend's daughter's graduation in May from George Washington University in DC in May. The graduation happens in the morning.

Ignoring weather for a moment. . . what do you suggest wearing. Are nice jeans, boots and a nice sweater appropriate? Or would you assume that this is a dressier event?

I'm pretty sure it's outside. (Back to weather for a moment, if it's freezing I'm dressing warm and the dress code can take a hike. :))

Thanks for any help!

Alley

In DC -- I'd dress up. There are exceptions, but it's a formal city.

I went to a graduation two years ago in Fairfax, and the women wore dresses or pant suits. Same for a funeral I attended a year ago just north of DC -- and most wore plain or dark outfits. 

Where I grew up and went to college/grad school, it was far less formal at graduations. Some wore shorts under their gowns at my undergraduate school!

Edited by G5052

Usually people dress up for college graduations. Think Sunday church wear.

Thank you!

In DC -- I'd dress up. There are exceptions, but it's a formal city.

I went to a graduation two years ago in Fairfax, and the women wore dresses or pant suits. Same for a funeral I attended a year ago just north of DC -- and most wore plain or dark outfits. 

Where I grew up and went to college/grad school, it was far less formal at graduations. Some wore shorts under their gowns at my undergraduate school!

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about -- that DC is fairly formal. I'm nervous that it'll be chilly in mid-May so I was hoping a jeans and boots would do it. Too casual?

GWU is a fancy school so I'm nervous all the fancy parents will be in fancy clothes!!

Alley

If you google for pics, it looks like a mixed bag of khakis, shorts, jeans, suits, sundresses... They're sitting out in the weather. Some pics show everyone in rain ponchos. Some have people all sweaty and fanning themselves with programs. I would probably dress for what you'll be doing after (lunch reservations?) because it really won't make a difference sitting in the crowd. If it's in the low 80s/high 70s, you'll be hot sitting out in the full sun. You'll be more likely to need a sundress or lighter weight linen pants than jeans and boots. 

• Like 1

If it is informal seating, particularly in an outdoor venue with a ton of people, I'd be inclined to do something like a chino, linen pant, etc. due to the fact that in May, DC can be quite humid and especially so if you are from the Great Lakes Region!  :D

I'd pair it with a semi-casual blouse or very lightweight sweater, better yet a shell with lightweight cardigan which you could remove if you started feeling hot, and then a nice scarf or necklace.

Unless I was invited to a more formal restaurant afterward by the family, I would not consider getting too dressed up. We would be most likely staying in the burbs like Alexandria and taking the train in then walking to the university so not even considering a nice dress and heels.

• Like 1

If you google for pics, it looks like a mixed bag of khakis, shorts, jeans, suits, sundresses... They're sitting out in the weather. Some pics show everyone in rain ponchos. Some have people all sweaty and fanning themselves with programs. I would probably dress for what you'll be doing after (lunch reservations?) because it really won't make a difference sitting in the crowd. If it's in the low 80s/high 70s, you'll be hot sitting out in the full sun. You'll be more likely to need a sundress or lighter weight linen pants than jeans and boots. 

Hey Zoobie! I can't make pizza dough without thinking about you! Just so you don't think I'm an idiot . . . I did a photo Google search, but clearly didn't enter the right search words! I'll look again! Thanks! I've only been out of VA for two years and I already can't remember the weather!!

I don't think you need to worry about being chilly in May... sweater and boots will likely be way too much clothing. Think sundress and 3/4 length cardigan.

Thank you -- I need the reminder!

I'm not a dress wearer but I would wear a dress for this occasion. It doesn't have to be fancy and if you are worried about being chilly you could take along leggings and boots for your bottom half and a sweater for the top.

I don't have an appropriate dress. Time to shop!

If it is informal seating, particularly in an outdoor venue with a ton of people, I'd be inclined to do something like a chino, linen pant, etc. due to the fact that in May, DC can be quite humid and especially so if you are from the Great Lakes Region!   :D

I'd pair it with a semi-casual blouse or very lightweight sweater, better yet a shell with lightweight cardigan which you could remove if you started feeling hot, and then a nice scarf or necklace.

Unless I was invited to a more formal restaurant afterward by the family, I would not consider getting too dressed up. We would be most likely staying in the burbs like Alexandria and taking the train in then walking to the university so not even considering a nice dress and heels.

Right. Like you, I'm staying in Alexandria. My friend pushed for Arlington and it's way more expensive. Is there a hotel you like in Alexandria?

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd be roasting in a sweater in DC in May. That's a/c season.

I don't know why I've been worried that I'd be cold. Thanks for the reminder!

Okay, I'm an idiot. What did you Google to find photos? I keep finding cap and gown photos.

Alley

Thank you!

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about -- that DC is fairly formal. I'm nervous that it'll be chilly in mid-May so I was hoping a jeans and boots would do it. Too casual?

GWU is a fancy school so I'm nervous all the fancy parents will be in fancy clothes!!

Alley

Yes, too casual. Sorry.

But you could wear non-denim pants, with a nice jacket, boots as long as they are not cowboy boots. :-) And if it's outside, a hat.