Menu

Anybody with experience with Thinx?

Faithr

Good as a backup to a tampon or for the very light days at the end. I am at the age where things are getting less predictable and I like them for those days when I am not sure if it is coming or not.

I have liked mine and they are useful but not a replacement for the full supply cabinet. More like a pantiliner replacement.

My daughter loves her two pairs. She finds pads irritating and anything internal makes her cramps worse. She says her flow is moderate and on her heaviest day she can last twelve hours with just the heavy day underwear. You wouldn't think it from how thin the material is, but she swears by it.

I sure wish I had had something like that back when I was still menstruating.

• Like 1

They hold more than you would expect.

That said, I do still prefer tampons most of the time. But I like the couple of pairs I have for use on the days when I have no clue what my period is going to do.

ETA: Also worth mentioning - they're incredibly well made and comfortable. I mostly buy pretty cheap cotton underwear, so my comparison point is maybe a little off, but they're really some of the more durable, nice underwear I own.

Edited by Farrar

DD15 has a pair.  She likes them for days when she is expecting her period to start, but is super-busy active (hiking/skiing/whatever).  Totally works great for that first day bleeding and no leaks or mess.  They just go through the washer/dryer with her regular laundry - nothing special needed.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1

So how does it work in practice?  With a cloth pad in a "just in case" or "backup" situation, if there is flow, you can change out the pad whenever you need or want to.  What's the advantage to having to change the whole pair of undies?  Surely that's more complicated?  Or is the idea that you only use them in situations where you expect that only one pad is likely to be needed, and the undies are that pad?  Just curious about the comparison to thin cloth pads.

I use Thinx as a backup. I'm at a point where my flow is crazy heavy and unpredictable. Since I'm a ps teacher, I also have a 5-hour stretch every day where I cannot go to the bathroom.

I used to use a cup and my cloth pads together and that was enough. Now I bleed too heavily for the cup. Once it's full, it drops down and then spills. What I have to do now is use a tampon and my heaviest cloth pad on my regular underwear and wear the most absorbent Thinx over that. That is just enough to make things work.

Even with the tampons, they drop down after they are full (2-3 hours on my heaviest days).

But don't they stink?!?! I can't imagine that part. Or pulling them back up after going to the bathroom knowing they have fluid in them(do they *feel* wet? That's even worse)

One comment, I had my blood drawn and discovered I had pretty much no progesterone. I am on supplements and now my flow is manageable. We really aren't meant to be flooding pads and needing multiple layers of protection according to my Dr. It isn't a healthy way to to live. YMMV but I am so thankful to not have to deal with that any more.

You're not supposed to put them in the dryer. If you wear them on a heavyish day, you're supposed to give them a rinse before putting them in the wash. But no other special care needed.

They don't smell. I mean, blood has a smell, but it's not a stink the way a pad can get. I swear.

They aren't for days when you're going to have a super heavy flow. But they really do seem to be able to handle a lot more than a pantyliner kind of day. I don't do pads anymore - not for many years - way too uncomfortable - but I find that one changes a pad more often because they get icky way before they're "full" whereas the Thinx stay comfortable longer, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I use them as my only most of the time and love them.  I have gone overnight on my heaviest day and their were no leaks but they did feel a little wet so I assume they were over full.  They are some of my favorite panties they are really comfy, don't feel wet and no special care except don't use the dryer.

• Like 1