Menu

A few more scholarship weekend questions...

Ann.without.an.e

DD recently learned that she is in the running for a scholarship she really wants.  I haven't talked about this one anywhere because it is a very selective, well known scholarship and I like to keep a semi masked internet existence.  So the weekend will go like this...the four of them will have dinner with the professor at his house.  The next day they will go to a luncheon, have personal interviews with three professors in the afternoon, and then go to a banquet that evening.  The luncheon and the banquet involve finalists for a few other scholarships at this school, not just this one. They only give one of these scholarships in the end, with four kids to choose from.  DD is super nervous about this one because it is the one she wants the most.  

Things I assume....

The real interview is not the half hour personal one on one interview but they are also "interviewing" her when she is casually at the professor's house and at the luncheon, etc.  The entire weekend is an interview, dd should just assume this right? DD is a fairly quiet girl (not shy though).

I have heard they sometimes ask about other schools that would be in competition for them.  Is this ok?  If so, how does DD answer this?  She will have all of her decisions by the time this interview happens.  Some parents say to tell them the 1-2 most competitive schools you have been admitted to, especially if an Ivy is involved because they love to sway kids away from Ivies. But, DD is worried that they want to hear that she is 100% going to take this and nothing else if she gets it.  If she was to get this scholarship it would 99% seal the deal on this college for her.   How should DD even answer that question if it comes up?  

Any thoughts or tips, particularly for dd to keep in mind during this small dinner at the professors house? 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

In answering questions, I would be honest. It is so obvious when someone is holding back and guarding their words and it makes you wonder what they are keeping from you.

Choose to tell about 1 or 2 schools (or more) that she's been admitted to, but then follow it up with - I'd really like to go here, but I"m waiting on finances, etc.

Yes, I'd definitely assume the entire weekend is the interview.  I know when I was in residency, candidates would come it and "interview" with the attendings, but then get to go out to lunch with us. So often they'd let their real selves shine through and it wasn't always pretty. We had a little power to sway decisions positively, but we had a huge influence on saying that we didn't want someone for a specific reason. 

• Like 5

In answering questions, I would be honest. It is so obvious when someone is holding back and guarding their words and it makes you wonder what they are keeping from you.

Choose to tell about 1 or 2 schools (or more) that she's been admitted to, but then follow it up with - I'd really like to go here, but I"m waiting on finances, etc.

This is what I was counseling dd to do, to express her great desire to be at their school but to mention that she wants to revisit 1 or 2 more schools just in case (and mention that the bottom line matters).  I was hoping this was good advice.

Dd is very honest and authentic.  She did a mock interview with an admissions counselor for a school she didn't apply to (friend of a friend) and he told her to be just like that, that her authenticity was very appealing and that they get tired of interviewing perfectly polished people with perfectly polished answers all day long because they know they aren't even seeing what the real person is like.  They walk away still having not a clue what they are getting.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Some schools/scholarship programs are very concerned about yield; in other words, if they think she is likely to eventually turn down their offer for a school with a higher prestige factor, they may offer the scholarship to someone less competitive that is more likely to accept in the end.

That was definitely the case for the Ga Tech Stamps scholarship that my daughter interviewed for last year; the director told me as much when we chatted after the process was over (she was awarded the scholarship, and did, in fact, ultimately turn it down.)

I have no idea if that is a factor for this upcoming competition. But I always advised my daughter to proceed with caution in answering the question about other potential schools. I would definitely indicate that this school is definitely her top choice, and have good specific reasons why this is the case. She needs to be very familiar with their program. Then, perhaps name another school or two on the list that are peer schools to the institution in question, if she feels she must do so.

And, yes, it is likely that she is being observed for the entire weekend. Encourage her to mingle, and try to greet as many faculty members as possible at the various events, but to also chat with the other students. Giving her tips for small talk, perhaps some questions to ask of others might be helpful. My '16 grad was not a small talk person, and we had to really work on that skill. But it is part of what was really wonderfully educational about the college app process; at the end of it, she had some new valuable life skills!!

• Like 4

This is what I was counseling dd to do, to express her great desire to be at their school but to mention that she wants to revisit 1 or 2 more schools just in case (and mention that the bottom line matters). I was hoping this was good advice.

Dd is very honest and authentic. She did a mock interview with an admissions counselor for a school she didn't apply to (friend of a friend) and he told her to be just like that, that her authenticity was very appealing and that they get tired of interviewing perfectly polished people with perfectly polished answers all day long because they know they aren't even seeing what the real person is like. They walk away still having not a clue what they are getting.

I had to laugh at my Dd. At one of the many social gatherings (a dinner) during her major interview weekend, 3 sets of parent/student and an admissions officer were at a table. He asked the kids what they really enjoyed doing outside of school. The other 2 kids said things like sports and theater. Dd said, "Curl up with a good book and a cup of tea or go walk down by the bay, especially at sunset." It was such an authentically "her" answer.

• Like 1

Based on the scholarship weekends my dd attended...yes, the entire event is an interview.  From the casual visits with professors and students, at meals, and in the formal panel. If parents attend any of the weekend with the student don't assume that you (the parent) are off the hook.  My recommendation is that students be themselves and be genuine but also remember their manners.  If you don't love football then don't fake interest in the topic; however, do eat with utensils and remember to say please and thank you. ( I know, that is an oversimplification but...) If this is a small school or program the impression made this weekend will carry through much of their freshman year.

If this is your child's dream school, I would answer the question by saying that she has been accepted to/given the opportunity to attend schools such as x & y but that scholarship school is her first choice and that the outcome of this event may be able to make the decision of where to attend quite easy.  I didn't phrase that very diplomatically but you could work out the exact phrasing.

I also think that it helps to ask questions or participate in conversations that go a bit beyond.  If the answer to your question was in the college view book or on the website then it might be a silly question.  Read up on the school and then go further.

Best of luck!

• Like 1