Menu

Viewing college apps now?

Grantmom

Is there a way to see college applications now, in advance of applying next year?  I am curious to know what information we should begin to gather, and would like DS to start practicing writing essays.  Is it possible to see any applications now? DS is a junior, but it seems like everything happens so quickly by the fall, and I want to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row.  DS is the oldest so this is our first time, and after reading here about people getting so much misinformation from guidance counselors, I would like to really begin now.

Edited by Grantmom

The Common App will now store your basic information over multiple years. This does not apply to school-specific questions, recommendations, or essays. But, you can look at those things while filling out your basic info so you can plan ahead.

• Like 2

We were told we can start the general questions on the common app at any time. DD's school is hosting a "camp" this summer for kids to get started before August. We were warned that information we enter might seem to disappear from the common app sound the start of August, as the new application season begins, but it will reappear and not to worry.

• Like 1

We did college tours last week over spring break and every college encouraged the students to try and submit the student portion of the applications over the summer. Most of their applications open around July 1st. At least one of the colleges already has the new essay prompt on their website on the freshman application page.

• Like 1

If you are looking at the common app, this is information on what will rollover and what will not. I must point out that "Any information you may have entered for college-specific Questions and Writing Supplements" will *not* rollover.

Edited to add, you can start early if you want to:

"Account Rollover will be an annual process for all users, without consideration to grade level or user type (counselor, parent, etc.). So yes, in theory, a student who creates a Common App account as a 9th grader and goes through the rollover process each year would be able to carry that account through to senior year."

Edited by JeanM
  • Like 1

Wow, so we can create a Common App account now, and begin to enter info?  That would be great.  It seems like the timeline is getting earlier and earlier if some colleges are saying their applications are up July 1.  

Edited by Grantmom

For a lot of schools that don't use the common app, you can look at this year's application. For some schools, essay questions will change yearly, but for others the application will not change at all.

As others have said, you can see the Common App info now and the essay topics have been released.

• Like 2

Do you mean the essay topics have been released for next year for the Common App?

The thread on the 2017-18 essay prompts http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/637370-common-application-2017-18-essay-prompts/

There is also the coalition app. Essay prompts link http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/essays.html

Some schools have add on essay prompts. For example Georgia Tech

"2017 Georgia Tech Short Answer Questions

(2018 short answer questions will be available by June 1, 2017)

Additionally, you will be asked to respond to the prompts below on the Georgia Tech page on your My Colleges tab. The questions will be found in the Questions section - Other Information subsection.

Beyond rankings, location, and athletics, why are you interested in attending Georgia Tech? (max 150 words)

Please choose ONE of the following questions and provide an answer in 150 words or less.

Tech’s motto is Progress and Service. We find that students who ultimately have a broad impact first had a significant one at home. What is your role in your immediate or extended family? And how you seen evidence of your impact on them?

Students are often told what classes they should take. If you had the opportunity to create a class, what would it be and why?

We challenge our students to "be comfortable being uncomfortable". Tell us about a time in high school that you felt outside of your comfort zone and the resolution." http://admission.gatech.edu/freshman/personal-essays

• Like 1

Thanks!  It looks like some schools are accepting either the Common App or the Coalition App.  Do students do both?  One or the other?  Is there an advantage to doing one for certain schools?  I am getting nervous.  Even though I feel like we've been educating ourselves all along, I feel like suddenly the time is here and I don't know what I'm doing.   :scared:

Thanks!  It looks like some schools are accepting either the Common App or the Coalition App.  Do students do both?  One or the other?  Is there an advantage to doing one for certain schools?  I am getting nervous.  Even though I feel like we've been educating ourselves all along, I feel like suddenly the time is here and I don't know what I'm doing.   :scared:

The Coalition App was new this year (2016-17). My current senior only did the common app since every school on his list took it. I've only heard of 1 or 2 schools this year that did take the Coalition App, but did *not* take the Common App. For my current sophomore, I'm assuming that he may need to do both. I'm not sure how it will work next year (for current juniors).

• Like 1

It looks like some schools are accepting either the Common App or the Coalition App. Do students do both? One or the other?

It is one or the other if schools accept both.

However some colleges like U of Washington is coalition app only so check whatever colleges your child might be interested in to see which app they accept. Start a spreadsheet :)

"How will it work at the UW for autumn 2018 applicants?

The UW will be a Single Application School: The Coalition application will be the UW’s only application for freshman admission beginning with applicants for autumn 2018.

U.S. and international freshmen will use the same application.

The application for autumn 2018 will open summer 2017.

The application deadline will be November 15, 2017." http://admit.washington.edu/Admission/Coalition

U of Maryland https://www.admissions.umd.edu/apply/

"By mid-August 2017, UMD will use the application provided by The Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success. The Coalition application should then be used by students seeking freshman or transfer admission, or students seeking admission to the University of Maryland, College Park at Shady Grove."

U of Florida http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/apply/freshman/freshmanapp

"THE UF FRESHMAN APPLICATION

As a member of the Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success, the University of Florida uses the Coalition Application. Complete all sections of the Coalition Application, including the UF supplemental section, and submit it no later than November 1, along with the $30 nonrefundable application fee plus $5 processing fee or fee waiver."

• Like 1