Menu

Frugalistas come on in. March 12-18

mommyoffive

I decided this week to get out of the "if we don't need it, we don't buy it. period." mindset that I have lived in my entire life.  It's just stealing all of the joy. We need some fun. So there's quite a bit of spending this week, but some are what I would consider investments.  The contacts and dining set were long-term plans, but I didn't have a sinking fund set up. So I "chose joy" and got them.  

We paid off a credit card! Whoot!

I prepared our city taxes.  We don't owe anything due to reciprocity, so that was a nice surprise since municipal income taxes are completely new to me.

IKEA trip.  This was a lifestyle decision that will allow some old habits to return.  I got a new dining set and a play kitchen for DD, some replacement coffee cups, candles, plant pots and a couple picture frames. The dining set needed replacement.  The half-century old table was warped, and the chairs were horribly uncomfortable.  It was so bad that we all hated eating dinner at the table, which makes it much easier to not bother with making meals at home. Ginormous  Table: $199.  Chairs $39 x 2.  Junior Chair for DD to eat better: $39.  Stools for additional seating: $5 x 4.  Bench: $99.  The table will seat easily seat 10 adults at the largest size, so we won't have to meet other families at restaurants for hospitality now.  

I have't been to Starbucks all week.  Normally I work there.  I'm actually okay with not going.  (Saved ~$10-$25)

DH is a home health nurse and cares for only one patient.  Unfortunately patient was admitted to hospital, so he's been out of work for two days.  It's unknown when, or if, patient will return so the job hunt begins.  I'm glad we have money from our taxes to pull us through without dipping into our emergency fund.  I hadn't paid all of our planned credit card bills, so procrastination paid this time.  

I bought contact lenses through America's Best Contacts. I paid for three years of twice yearly exams, 10% off contacts, 10% off glasses, price-matched a year's supply of contacts that were sent directly to my home and paid only $209.  I have a strong prescription.  Glasses are more expensive and mine were over 5 years old.  Part practical, part vanity, totally worth it for what I paid. Saved $79 x 2 on the exams, and $60 on the contacts. 

I took my DSs to see Hidden Figures.  It was $40 that wasn't budgeted but we had room for. Completely worth it.

I purchased Hooked on Phonics for DD. I got it from Educents, used a 15% off code, free shipping, plus I had a credit for ~$3.  So instead of $250, I got the whole thing for under $100.  It should be here by the time she turns 4 next week.  I've told her she can't "do school" until she's four. It's part of keeping goals in front of our kids in a positive way.

Clothing:

Jeans: Five sizes smaller than the last pair I purchased!! :O $30 on sale.  I had some set aside from before I started the last round of steroids, but those are two sizes too big.

Shorts: $5! on clearance

Sweater:$3 clearance

Yankee Candle Company: $30.  I splurge on some of these candles every six months. Purchased with a coupon and used the current promotion.

How did everyone else do?

• Like 4

I love your post Elizabeth. Spending for joys sake is so important! I completely understand hating a dining room table to much no one wants to eat at it. Ours is on its last leg. It is splintering at parts and since it isn't solid wood we can't simply sand it down and refinish it. I've been searching for a used replacement in like new condition at a good price for a long time. If by the time I reach our savings goal for this year we haven't found one then I'm buying new. It will make happy and be more pleasant to eat at, play boardgames at, do school work at, etc. Totally worth full price just for more comfort and enjoyable family time.

• Like 3

elizabeth, good for you!

On the plus side here dh has already got a side job consulting. $100/hr, not bad for a guy with no degree in our low COL area. This job will probably be about $300/3hr, they have another job coming up that he is hoping he might get hired for as well, it will be more in the range of $500-$1000 for a day's work. Who knew his geeky hobby would turn so profitable. I'm still pondering what work I want to do, I considered just canceling my upcoming training as I won't be using it much and certainly won't make back my money but dh insisted I keep it as it is something just for me. 

I spent quite a bit yesterday, I feel somewhat guilty even though that was planned($500 or less is the goal but that includes construction to finish the bathroom too), most of it was for dd1's new room, this is also her b-day gift, no party this year, I told her she could do a sleepover with a few friends in her new room.

-$53 quilt set

-$45 2x4s and plywood to close in doorway

-$20 nightstand

-$20 paint for furniture

-$12 totes for bookshelf

-$ 6curtain rod

- $5 chair

--------

$163

Dh is buying a door, doorknob, paint(for doors and trim) and trim today. I imagine it is going to be a good chunk. We are keeping the walls the same color that they were just touching up so that won't cost us anything.

Still left to buy-

- closet rod

-closet shelf

-sheetrock for closet (only $5 a sheet- 4 sheets/$20 at most)

-paint for desk chair- it is small and we are doing it with spray paint- maybe $10 total

-fabric for desk chair(I'm hoping that Granny might have a spare piece that would work- otherwise we only need a half-yard at most- we will buy w/ a coupon at Hobby Lobby)

-contact paper or tote for nightstand shelf

We found the chair & nightstand at Goodwill for a steal. She had been looking at that exact chair on Amazon for $20-$30 then we went to Goodwill and there was one in silver/gray, the main color of her room, in great shape for $5 I snatched it right up for her. She also found a little white rolling cart for $4(she bought), she had been planning to buy one for $30+, she had seen one at Ikea and fell in love with it. We used the paint to coordinate everything and it turned out fabulous. All her pieces are just a hodge podge, the bookshelf was a very old, not so pretty one that Grandma was getting rid of, the dresser and desk pieces I had picked up at flea markets and weren't using for various reasons, with the paint it ties it all together. 

I bought some clothes at Goodwill for both of us. She needed some and really still could use some more but we got a few things. Our local Goodwill gets a ton of things from Target, so nearly everything she got was new with tags and to top it off most was half-off.

She got-

- 3 pants-$6

-3 tops- $6

-1 dress for Easter- $6 (new w/ tags- not on sale)

-------

$18

I got

-1 jean (Ann Taylor skinny jeans for $2.50)

-3 cardigans (new from Target, Ann Taylor and Talbot)  $8

- 6 tank tops (new from Wal-Mart 4- $24- I've decided that it isn't worth it to pay a ton for shirts considering how messy I am!)

-dress shirt- $3

-------

$37.50

I found ds a nice button up shirt for Easter for $2 at a thift store last week and when cleaning out the downstairs closet I found some dress pants I had put back years ago that now fit him perfect. The only thing he doesn't have is dress shoes, I'm considering just letting him wear his new black tennis shoes, my practical side can't see buying new shoes for one day(we go to a casual church and he wears tennis shoes to weekly service). My clothing budget is $50 but I was happy to go over with all the good finds. As I said dd still needs a few more things but we are making progress, not killing my pocket book and getting stuff she likes, win-win. I might finish her out with some basic t-shirts/tanks from Wal-Mart I have something for me to wear to Easter too, plus tops for summer (and cooler weather when paired w/ cardigans) and nice jeans.

• Like 3

I decided this week to get out of the "if we don't need it, we don't buy it. period." mindset that I have lived in my entire life.  It's just stealing all of the joy. We need some fun. So there's quite a bit of spending this week, but some are what I would consider investments.  The contacts and dining set were long-term plans, but I didn't have a sinking fund set up. So I "chose joy" and got them.  

We paid off a credit card! Whoot!

I prepared our city taxes.  We don't owe anything due to reciprocity, so that was a nice surprise since municipal income taxes are completely new to me.

IKEA trip.  This was a lifestyle decision that will allow some old habits to return.  I got a new dining set and a play kitchen for DD, some replacement coffee cups, candles, plant pots and a couple picture frames. The dining set needed replacement.  The half-century old table was warped, and the chairs were horribly uncomfortable.  It was so bad that we all hated eating dinner at the table, which makes it much easier to not bother with making meals at home. Ginormous  Table: $199.  Chairs $39 x 2.  Junior Chair for DD to eat better: $39.  Stools for additional seating: $5 x 4.  Bench: $99.  The table will seat easily seat 10 adults at the largest size, so we won't have to meet other families at restaurants for hospitality now.  

I have't been to Starbucks all week.  Normally I work there.  I'm actually okay with not going.  (Saved ~$10-$25)

DH is a home health nurse and cares for only one patient.  Unfortunately patient was admitted to hospital, so he's been out of work for two days.  It's unknown when, or if, patient will return so the job hunt begins.  I'm glad we have money from our taxes to pull us through without dipping into our emergency fund.  I hadn't paid all of our planned credit card bills, so procrastination paid this time.  

I bought contact lenses through America's Best Contacts. I paid for three years of twice yearly exams, 10% off contacts, 10% off glasses, price-matched a year's supply of contacts that were sent directly to my home and paid only $209.  I have a strong prescription.  Glasses are more expensive and mine were over 5 years old.  Part practical, part vanity, totally worth it for what I paid. Saved $79 x 2 on the exams, and $60 on the contacts. 

I took my DSs to see Hidden Figures.  It was $40 that wasn't budgeted but we had room for. Completely worth it.

I purchased Hooked on Phonics for DD. I got it from Educents, used a 15% off code, free shipping, plus I had a credit for ~$3.  So instead of $250, I got the whole thing for under $100.  It should be here by the time she turns 4 next week.  I've told her she can't "do school" until she's four. It's part of keeping goals in front of our kids in a positive way.

Clothing:

Jeans: Five sizes smaller than the last pair I purchased!! :o $30 on sale.  I had some set aside from before I started the last round of steroids, but those are two sizes too big.

Shorts: $5! on clearance

Sweater:$3 clearance

Yankee Candle Company: $30.  I splurge on some of these candles every six months. Purchased with a coupon and used the current promotion.

How did everyone else do?

What table did you get at Ikea?  I need a bigger table, ours doesn't fit us at all.  I think I could just put in another piece of wood to make a leaf, but honestly I hate the leafs in it.  Just tons of gunk gets in the cracks all the time.

Sounds like you got tons of great deals.

Awesome on the weight loss!

Way to go paying off the CC.

I hope your dh finds new work soon.

• Like 1

elizabeth, good for you!

On the plus side here dh has already got a side job consulting. $100/hr, not bad for a guy with no degree in our low COL area. This job will probably be about $300/3hr, they have another job coming up that he is hoping he might get hired for as well, it will be more in the range of $500-$1000 for a day's work. Who knew his geeky hobby would turn so profitable. I'm still pondering what work I want to do, I considered just canceling my upcoming training as I won't be using it much and certainly won't make back my money but dh insisted I keep it as it is something just for me. 

I spent quite a bit yesterday, I feel somewhat guilty even though that was planned($500 or less is the goal but that includes construction to finish the bathroom too), most of it was for dd1's new room, this is also her b-day gift, no party this year, I told her she could do a sleepover with a few friends in her new room.

-$53 quilt set

-$45 2x4s and plywood to close in doorway

-$20 nightstand

-$20 paint for furniture

-$12 totes for bookshelf

-$ 6curtain rod

- $5 chair

--------

$163

Dh is buying a door, doorknob, paint(for doors and trim) and trim today. I imagine it is going to be a good chunk. We are keeping the walls the same color that they were just touching up so that won't cost us anything.

Still left to buy-

- closet rod

-closet shelf

-sheetrock for closet (only $5 a sheet- 4 sheets/$20 at most)

-paint for desk chair- it is small and we are doing it with spray paint- maybe $10 total

-fabric for desk chair(I'm hoping that Granny might have a spare piece that would work- otherwise we only need a half-yard at most- we will buy w/ a coupon at Hobby Lobby)

-contact paper or tote for nightstand shelf

We found the chair & nightstand at Goodwill for a steal. She had been looking at that exact chair on Amazon for $20-$30 then we went to Goodwill and there was one in silver/gray, the main color of her room, in great shape for $5 I snatched it right up for her. She also found a little white rolling cart for $4(she bought), she had been planning to buy one for $30+, she had seen one at Ikea and fell in love with it. We used the paint to coordinate everything and it turned out fabulous. All her pieces are just a hodge podge, the bookshelf was a very old, not so pretty one that Grandma was getting rid of, the dresser and desk pieces I had picked up at flea markets and weren't using for various reasons, with the paint it ties it all together. 

I bought some clothes at Goodwill for both of us. She needed some and really still could use some more but we got a few things. Our local Goodwill gets a ton of things from Target, so nearly everything she got was new with tags and to top it off most was half-off.

She got-

- 3 pants-$6

-3 tops- $6

-1 dress for Easter- $6 (new w/ tags- not on sale)

-------

$18

I got

-1 jean (Ann Taylor skinny jeans for $2.50)

-3 cardigans (new from Target, Ann Taylor and Talbot)  $8

- 6 tank tops (new from Wal-Mart 4- $24- I've decided that it isn't worth it to pay a ton for shirts considering how messy I am!)

-dress shirt- $3

-------

$37.50

I found ds a nice button up shirt for Easter for $2 at a thift store last week and when cleaning out the downstairs closet I found some dress pants I had put back years ago that now fit him perfect. The only thing he doesn't have is dress shoes, I'm considering just letting him wear his new black tennis shoes, my practical side can't see buying new shoes for one day(we go to a casual church and he wears tennis shoes to weekly service). My clothing budget is $50 but I was happy to go over with all the good finds. As I said dd still needs a few more things but we are making progress, not killing my pocket book and getting stuff she likes, win-win. I might finish her out with some basic t-shirts/tanks from Wal-Mart I have something for me to wear to Easter too, plus tops for summer (and cooler weather when paired w/ cardigans) and nice jeans.

Wow, you got tons of great deals too!

So fun that you are redoing her room.  I bet it is going to look great. 

Congrats to your dh for getting that side work.  Hobbies do pay off.  What is his hobby? 

• Like 1

Her room is looking sooo good, she is thrilled and I'm pleased with how nice it is turning out. Her room now is just a mix of little things she made or could find for cheap and she made it look cute but I'm happy that I can upgrade some of it and do it without spending a ton.

Wow, you got tons of great deals too!

So fun that you are redoing her room.  I bet it is going to look great. 

Congrats to your dh for getting that side work.  Hobbies do pay off.  What is his hobby? 

Dh's hobby is Robotics, he got into it because of his job but he really immersed himself in it, reading and studying on his own(making sure he could always do anything they asked even if he didn't know he figured it out one way or another). Since he made himself the expert at work when training came up he was the one chosen to go. Because he was "the robot guy" at work when the local community college called asking who they had who could teach robotics classes they gave his name. Now local companies that have robots sent their guys to the class and the guys in his class referred him to their management as someone that could do the more advanced robotics work so they don't have to hire someone to come in, which is super expensive. The advantage dh has as well is that where he works is far advanced in industrial robots to any other place around and dh's area has far more than any other section of the plant. The college wants him to teach more advanced classes and has talked about sending him off for more training(and paying for it). It has all just worked out so well. 

• Like 2

I give up.  I incurred medical expenses last week that I'm sure will be mega out of pocket (haven't seen the bills yet).  I have decided we might as well meet our family maximum and then just not worry about it (until next year).

I also renewed 3 annual student sponsorships over the weekend.  And donated to Shriners (Galveston TX), who is taking care of the surviving children who were locked in a burning Central American group home last week.

Day-to-day stuff, no spending to speak of.  Not that it matters much right now.  :P

Just grocery shopping on Sunday.  

We were going to go to bike show on Saturday and buy 3 kids bikes, but we woke up sick so skipped it.  The kids and dh went to a free community event and brought home all these great free things that I am putting right into donation. 

Payed violin for the semester.

Sold some stuff. 

I have to buy some new tap shoes for my youngest dancer because she has 2 right shoes.  I am annoyed with that.  I bought a new ones at the start of the year and she comes out of class with 2 right shoes.  This is a young class where the kids need help putting on their shoes.  Naturally the other shoe is nobody's in class.  

I need to pay some bills this week.

I did incur a bit of a library fine, but I didn't think it was worth returning this one item. 

• Like 2

What table did you get at Ikea?  I need a bigger table, ours doesn't fit us at all.  I think I could just put in another piece of wood to make a leaf, but honestly I hate the leafs in it.  Just tons of gunk gets in the cracks all the time.

Sounds like you got tons of great deals.

Awesome on the weight loss!

Way to go paying off the CC.

I hope your dh finds new work soon.

Patient is coming home today!! So that means DH is back to work. It did make an impact on him though, so he is looking at a course that will allow him to take other positions.  

Our table has two leaves in it, but they store inside the table.  The crease is pretty tight, but also easy to part to wipe them.  It has recently gone down in price, which was a big consideration.  The legs are so simple, so seating chairs from end to end is easy, thus the choice for a bench on the wall side of the table.  I decided to go with one that can expand because we are renting again.  I want to make sure it'll fit in most homes we could be living in until my children are grown.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116262/

Patient is coming home today!! So that means DH is back to work. It did make an impact on him though, so he is looking at a course that will allow him to take other positions.  

Our table has two leaves in it, but they store inside the table.  The crease is pretty tight, but also easy to part to wipe them.  It has recently gone down in price, which was a big consideration.  The legs are so simple, so seating chairs from end to end is easy, thus the choice for a bench on the wall side of the table.  I decided to go with one that can expand because we are renting again.  I want to make sure it'll fit in most homes we could be living in until my children are grown.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116262/

Thank you for that.  It sure is affordable.  

So the way you got to 10 people sitting is with having a bench on one side?  I wonder how that would go for us.  What  I wouldn't give for a dinning room and kitchen area.  

I know I need to do something soon about our table.  Being able to seat 8 would be awesome. 

• Like 1

mommyoffive- I just sent a bunch of dance shoes to Goodwill, would have been happy to send them your way!

dh did his consulting job, he ended up working for 2.5 hrs, all went well. We'll see if they call him back for more.

I did buy some fast food for the family the other night, kept it fairly cheap with fries, chili , water to drink, a large frosty to share but it adds up w/  people. It was $26.

I bought a new workout program, i've been planning it for awhile, it is a bit of a splurge I guess but worth it to me.

We got a quote for the stairs, it will be about $900 labor and materials, we have $400 set aside, that will be next month and dh's teaching will more than pay for it.

Dh bought the rest of the room supplies, or I *think* that is it, we are right at our budget limit, we'll see if we've forgotten anything.

I found a loft bed for dd from Craigslist, mattress included for $200 so I went ahead and snagged it for my youngest moving into dd1's old room, I hadn't planned to put in a bed as she will sleep with dd2 I'm sure but she was disappointed so when I saw one for so cheap I thought I'd spring for it. It has a nice high railing, which is good for her. It has a built in desk, lamp, bookshelf and 2 cabinets, solid wood. I'm sure she will have a constant fort on the bottom!

I think we are on track to hit our savings goals in a couple of months, hopefully we can stay on track. If dh continues to have this extra work we will need to reconsider, how much we want to save, how much to put towards projects and how much for fun, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. It is easy to spend more when you have more but that defeats the purpose, it is hard to find the balance with it all.