Menu

hit me with your snow study ideas

I hate cold weather. And snow. But my kids love it and we are apparently not finished with winter yet this year as another 1-2 feet of snow will be threatening my ability to remain at peace with life...so my husband suggested studying snow and I've decided it's like trying to make lemonade out of lemons. 

What snowy lessons do you have tucked away that I can try? My oldest is at a middle school level in science and my middles are prek/k level. 

I don't have any lessons for you, but I can sympathize.  I usually like the snow and prefer cold weather, but since starting perimenopause, the cold really gets to me. It seems like I'm cold all the time despite the cozy, continuous burning of the woodstove.

There's no end to winter in sight for us either.  Yesterday it stayed around -25 to -29 with the continuous wind chill. The wind never stops here.  Today, at least, it warmed up to -11.  We also have a storm coming which is promising 12 to 20 inches Tuesday night into Wednesday.

• Like 1

We did a snowflake unit in December.  In addition to Snowflake Bentley, we read:

- The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter’s Wonder, Mark Cassino and John Nelson

- The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-close Look at the Art and Science of Snowflakes, Kenneth Libbrecht

- Snowflakes, Sugar, and Salt: Crystals Up Close, Chu Maki

• Like 1

I know what you mean about being done with winter, cold and snow. However, there are some wonderful advantages to snow in March. It's warmer and lighter outside, so there are more opportunities for fun outdoor snow activities, such as making snow fort, snow men, etc. There are science experiments with snow, such as measuring the temperature of the snow at different times of day and night. Discover ways to melt snow the fastest, keep snow/ice the longest, press snow into glaciers, etc.

And my absolute favourite: spring skiing!!!  Ditch the books and go outside to ski, snowshoe, and play. 

• Like 1