Menu

Does this look like enough for 5th grade?

lgliser

This year the kids are in 4th grade and school takes us about 5 hours, give or take. You can see what we're doing in my signature. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade never took us that long and I'm sure every year gets a little longer, but it really does seem long this year!

Next year, on paper, it feels like it's going to take a lot less time:

History will be the same, done every day (Veritas Press Self Paced), takes about 30 min. Thinking about having them start to do some narrations or outlines next year.

Math will be the same, done every day (CLE), takes about an hour.

Spelling - same, 4 days a week (AAS), takes about 15 min.

Writing and Rhetoric - same and done 4 days a week. Takes around 30 min.

Science - same (Science in the Ancient World). Grandpa comes up once a week and does 2 lessons with them in one sitting. So about an hour a week.

Latin - same (Getting Started with Latin). This takes about 20 min per lesson. We're only going to do it 2-3 times a week, but we'll do chants, prayers, and vocab review daily.

Geography will be different (Discovering the World of Geography, and I don't think that will be every day). I can't imagine the lessons will take long

Evan Moor Language Fundamentals will be done instead of a formal grammar curriculum. 4 days a week. These won't take too long either.

CAP Reading and Reasoning is new and is only supposed to be one or two times a week.

Logic grids daily (these get done really fast)

So... the big things that we're not doing next year are First Language Lessons, which could take 30 min on average, and we'll also be done with Treasured Conversations, which is maybe 20 min.

I'm not good at scheduling read alouds so I'll try to do more of those. (We do often listen to books in the car and the kids read on their own obviously). But other than that, does this look like a solid year?

ETA: The kids do art at a co-op once a week and also art classes with our neighbor once every 2 weeks. PE is more than covered with the amount of sports they do, and also in the weekly co-op. They do Awana and we go to church/Sunday school so there's Bible. Oh, and the kids do read 30 min a day from a chapter book (usually one I have assigned) and 30 min from our book basket selections.

I should also add that they'll still be doing some Prodigy math on the computer, Spelling City,  and Quizlet for Latin Vocab.

Edited by lgliser

I can't tell- are they doing any reading to themselves daily, not just once or twice a week? That was the only thing I couldn't see. Everything else looks good to me. I would try to get the read alouds in and art or PE if you can somewhere. They could read the science books chapters on their own and do the notebooking questions before grandpa comes to do the lesson. I assume he has them write up the experiments as part of his lesson time. You could have them practice outlining from that book too alongside the history for something different once in awhile. 

Ugh, my quote button isn't working...

********quote********

I can't tell- are they doing any reading to themselves daily, not just once or twice a week? That was the only thing I couldn't see. Everything else looks good to me. I would try to get the read alouds in and art or PE if you can somewhere. They could read the science books chapters on their own and do the notebooking questions before grandpa comes to do the lesson. I assume he has them write up the experiments as part of his lesson time. You could have them practice outlining from that book too alongside the history for something different once in awhile. 

My reply: I just edited the post to add that they do a ton of PE and they do art as well. I like the science idea though.

*******quote*******

I don't see literature. You don't need a program; just read lots and lots of good books and discuss them. VP's booklists have been our favorites over the years. We never used the guides.

My first reaction was it feels like a lot of pieces. Even if they're lightweight pieces, having too many transitions is a fast way to booger up a homeschool day in my house. Maybe y'all are used to it and it won't phase you. I've gotten to the point of only scheduling materials I think are worth using daily. I would probably drop the geography or maybe stuff it into the read aloud stack, and I'd only do one of those logic books at a time; when the grids are done pick up R&R.

My reply: Ya, we do need to do more literature. I do try to have them read good books, but we don't do a lot of discussing. I'll improve that for next year for sure. 

What is R&R?

I'm curious why too many transitions tend to mess things up... Is it because they just feel like something you're checking off a list and not really getting much out of it? I wouldn't say we're used to it here because so far everything we do takes a decent amount of time. But like you are saying, the newer things are going to be so fast. I like the idea of maybe doing one logic thing at a time....

Thanks so much for the advice!

R&R is the Reasoning and Reading you listed. We used the last level one year and enjoyed it. :) It's more logic than reading supplement IMO.

A transition from any subject to another requires mentally closing one up, changing gears, and driving down another. Two books that only take ten minutes to finish aren't usually completed in 20 minutes or less. The first book has to be checked by mom, fixed if needed, and put away. Then the next book has to be found on their shelf, taken to their work area, the pencil probably has to be relocated and/or sharpened and/or dropped on the floor again, then they have to find their place, ask how to do it because they didn't read the directions, and finally get going.

Aside from kids acting like kids (LOL), too many little things feels like we're only going skin deep in too many directions. We learn best and are more efficient at going deeper in less.

• Like 1

R&R is the Reasoning and Reading you listed. We used the last level one year and enjoyed it.  :) It's more logic than reading supplement IMO.

A transition from any subject to another requires mentally closing one up, changing gears, and driving down another. Two books that only take ten minutes to finish aren't usually completed in 20 minutes or less. The first book has to be checked by mom, fixed if needed, and put away. Then the next book has to be found on their shelf, taken to their work area, the pencil probably has to be relocated and/or sharpened and/or dropped on the floor again, then they have to find their place, ask how to do it because they didn't read the directions, and finally get going.

Aside from kids acting like kids (LOL), too many little things feels like we're only going skin deep in too many directions. We learn best and are more efficient at going deeper in less.

R&R - oops. Duh.   :blushing:

OMG - the pencil thing. It's like you can see right into our house!  LOL!

But ya, that really does make sense. I'll tweak things!

• Like 1