Menu

Has Your Child Taken Any Classical Historian Online Classes?

CAtoVA

I'm looking for reviews of The Classical Historian's online classes, especially for grades 6-9, but any experiences would be welcome. If your child took an online class with The Classical Historian how did it go, what was the level of challenge, would you do it again, etc.. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I'm looking for reviews of The Classical Historian's online classes, especially for grades 6-9, but any experiences would be welcome. If your child took an online class with The Classical Historian how did it go, what was the level of challenge, would you do it again, etc.. Thanks in advance!

My DD12 is in the JH Ancients class this year. I just asked her for her opinion on the class. She says the teacher (Adam DeGree - the son of the book's author) is wonderful. She loves him as a teacher. He is knowledgable, skilled at facilitating discussion, and makes the class fun. One problem is that they seem to have a lot of tech issues. His voice is hard to hear at times; it doesn't last long and only happens periodically. DD thinks it's his headset/microphone.

They do one lesson in the WHD book each week and they pull from the Take a Stand book for discussion questions in class. They use the card deck less often, but the kids really enjoy it when they do get a chance to play.

I think the class is well-priced and it fits my goal for history study: we're covering content without a huge emphasis on 'output' (such as written timelines, essays, and gads of time-consuming work), but the emphasis is on developing critical thinking skills, such as discussing why things happened, making connections between historical events, learning to ask good questions, and considering evidence. DD spends no more than one hour outside of class doing homework, so at only 2-hours per week, I would say it is a relatively 'light' history year for us, but that is perfectly fine considering the rest of my child's workload. This DD has completed the SOTW series in grades 2-5, and will continue with the WHD book for next year, paired with the Story of Science books by Hakim. Unfortunately, we cannot enroll in the live online class with The Classical Historian next year due to a conflict with another online class. I would, otherwise, definitely consider re-enrolling her.

Hope that helps. Please advise if you have any additional questions.

• Like 1