Menu

Someone help me before I go mad! LOL! (bedding-related)

sheryl

Please help with this.

DH and I run warm when we sleep.  Let me add that I keep the room very cool when we sleep (heat stays off in winter until it kicks in at 61 or so and air comes on more quickly in warmer weather such as spring and summer).  BTW, the house will be cold at 61 until the heat kicks in but under the blanket we stay too warm.

We need another comforter or such for our marriage to survive! Ha. Just kidding.

I kept an old comforter on our bed that my cousin bought us around 1992.  It stayed on our bed for close to 23 or so years!  It was cotton shell and "light"  poly fill.  It was washed many times and became worn down but it was the right amount for us to stay warm at night.  On very cold, winter nights I add another comforter (if bitter cold) or thin blanket.

A year ago I bought a comforter set at TJMaxx.  It's nice but there's too much "fill" on the inside.  DH who runs fairly cold outside of the bed runs too warm under this comforter as do I.

Does this make sense?  Any suggestions?

A quilt and "quilted" bedspread are too dense and heavy.  I don't like to feel pinned down.   That is the reason I'm still seeking a lighter weight "fill" comforter. 

A goose down will be too warm.  We have one of those for cold, winter nights.

HELP! 

I gave up on finding a perfect weight comforter and started using a fleece blanket instead. I use a king size for our queen sized bed so that it gives good coverage down the sides of the bed. And I fold a smaller sized, coordinating color fleece blanket at the foot of the bed. It's easy to pull up if we need extra warmth during the night. It's an inexpensive, easy to throw in the wash solution.

• Like 1

You can get duvets that are very light like between about 1 and 3 tog. We use them in summer or as an extra in winter.

I wish US manufacturers would be better at listing the tog rating for duvets. Sadly this info is usually lacking, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ok, thanks!  to clarify, the old comforter we have with little fill has cotton covering. 

I really like quilts but i'm looking for something that really "gives" with movement that might be found in a lightweight comforter.  justasque, that's a good idea to have it repaired.  and, I guess just make one. 

You might also invest in some temperature sensitive options for things like your mattress pad and/or blanket. We've found that helpful. The Sleep Number store has those sorts of products. 

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/Bedding/ComfortersBlankets/p/blanket-IB

They have frequent sales, and sometimes a salesperson will offer you special deals if you are buying more than one thing. Friends who've shopped there might have "friends and family" coupons to pass along also.

• Like 1

Those thick poly-fill quilts are horrid. We have a gorgeous, goose feather and down quilt made 20+ years ago by the Menonites which is fantastic for 60F. It's not good for 70F, though, or when my hormones are raging and I'm too hot. 

I'd look at down/feather quilts. They come is a variety of thicknesses. They can be expensive, but good quality ones last 20+ years.

• Like 1

ok, I found a nice one.  here it is -

https://www.amazon.com/Outlast-Temperature-Regulating-Comforter-King/dp/B00K0IJINM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489333675&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Outlast%C2%AE%2BTemperature-Regulating%2BComforter&th=1

it says this is a comforter though.  i'm confusing myself.  I thought this was a duvet insert.  so, how is a king duvet different from a king comforter?  I know the duvet is an insert and comforter is set.  but, are they both the "same dimensions"? 

Edited by sheryl

ok, I found a nice one.  here it is -

https://www.amazon.com/Outlast-Temperature-Regulating-Comforter-King/dp/B00K0IJINM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489333675&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Outlast%C2%AE%2BTemperature-Regulating%2BComforter&th=1

it says this is a comforter though.  i'm confusing myself.  I thought this was a duvet insert.  so, how is a king duvet different from a king comforter?  I know the duvet is an insert and comforter is set.  but, are they both the "same dimensions"? 

I'm not 100% sure, but a duvet may not have a decorative cover. You buy that separately, and the duvet goes inside. You can just use a duvet on its own, too.

• Like 1

What about a blanket and an old school bedspread? I remember all our beds had those before comforter sets were a thing. If you needed more warmth, you added another blanket. Alternatively, are you looking at nicer comforters? I have to get the cheap ones or DH overheats. They weigh less, have less filling, and just plain don't retain heat as well. DH thinks this is perfect while I'm using a heated mattress pad on my side just to survive. DH's side of the heated mattress pad has never been turned on.

As a side note, you might want to check your blood pressure. Since DH got his blood pressure under control he actually feels the cold now. Not enough to need heavier blankets, but at least enough not to kick off the lightweight ones.

• Like 1