Menu

Which pre-algebra for this kid?

My youngest is in 5th grade and this year she is finally hitting a groove in math.  She is taking an online class that uses Saxon 6/5, and is also working through Singapore 4.  In the past we have done:

Pre-K: Saxon K

Kindergarten: Singapore Earlybird

First Grade: Singapore 1

Second Grade: Singapore 2

Third Grade:  Singapore 3a, Saxon Intermediate 3

Fourth Grade: Singapore 3b, Saxon Intermediate 4

Fifth Grade: Singapore 4, Saxon 6/5

Singapore alone wasn't working well for her, which is why I switched to Saxon in third grade.  However, I love the way concepts are presented in Singapore, and it's what I used with my older dd, so I have continued using it with her at a slower pace.  This year she really grew in her math confidence (it has always been pretty low) and she is doing well with the combination of both programs (she spends about an hour a day on Saxon and 30 minutes on Singapore, on average). 

Next year I plan to have her continue with Saxon 7/6 and Singapore 5, and then in 7th she should be ready for Pre-Algebra.  I'm trying to find a single program that will give me the best of both programs we have been using (the constant review/drill of Saxon, which has done wonders to build her confidence in her math abilities, and the deeper conceptual understanding offered by Singapore). Dd12 used AoPS but I don't think that is going to work for dd10.  I also have Dolciani's Pre-Algebra on hand... I do like it, and it has built-in review sections.  So there's one option in the running.  Can you think of any other good programs I should be looking into?   I would especially love to hear what has worked for kids who need a lot of practice to keep their math confidence up. 

Of the ones I'm familiar with, I would say Dolciani is your best option. It's very conceptual in certain ways - especially in the word problem focus, but it's also very straightforward with plenty of potential practice built in. Plus, you already have it. It may be that someone will suggest something else, but I think that might be the best choice.

If the spiral nature of Saxon is working for her you could keep at it.  Saxon is a solid program that works really well for some kids. I would do Hands on Equations along side it and add other hands-on material to cement knowledge.  I have taught Saxon for years in private schools and we always got amazing standardized test scores. I am personally not a huge fan, but it really is perfect for a lot of kids. Kids who are less "out of the box" thinkers, average to bright (but not gifted),  and who just want to understand it and get it done, do well with Saxon.  The spiral review is helpful for those kids too. Jacobs seems to be a good fit after Saxon. I plan on doing Saxon Course 3  (classroom series) alongside Aops pre-algebra for my own kid.  He has had Saxon his whole life and doesn't enjoy it, but the spiral review is good for him.  We will just use it as review and practice. 

If the spiral nature of Saxon is working for her you could keep at it. Saxon is a solid program that works really well for some kids. I would do Hands on Equations along side it and add other hands-on material to cement knowledge. I have taught Saxon for years in private schools and we always got amazing standardized test scores. I am personally not a huge fan, but it really is perfect for a lot of kids. Kids who are less "out of the box" thinkers, average to bright (but not gifted), and who just want to understand it and get it done, do well with Saxon. The spiral review is helpful for those kids too. Jacobs seems to be a good fit after Saxon. I plan on doing Saxon Course 3 (classroom series) alongside Aops pre-algebra for my own kid. He has had Saxon his whole life and doesn't enjoy it, but the spiral review is good for him. We will just use it as review and practice.

I have considered this.... The problem is that I have taught from Saxon's Algebra 1 book and didn't like it much, especially compared with something like AoPS or Foerster's. Yes, there is a lot of review, but I feel like it is easy to just remember the procedure and forget the underlying "why". Also I would like more robust word problems. I feel like trying to use Saxon for review and something else to go deeper conceptually may end up taking too much time at that level. I may use it as a fall-back, though, if I can't make another program work.

Of the ones I'm familiar with, I would say Dolciani is your best option. It's very conceptual in certain ways - especially in the word problem focus, but it's also very straightforward with plenty of potential practice built in. Plus, you already have it. It may be that someone will suggest something else, but I think that might be the best choice.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation that this could be a good fit. I only used a few sections of it with dd12 (when she needed more practice with a topic than AoPS gave her) and so I don't have a good feel for it as a main program. But it looks promising.