Menu

Feeling old...

bwdiaz

I was a college graduate, in AND out of the military, married, and pregnant with my THIRD child by the time Buffy aired its first episode. So don't talk to me about felling old, you young whippersnapper. Lol

I was just ready that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is 20 years old this month. [emoji50]

How can this be? I was just in college watching it.

You were in college 20 years ago?  I'm jealous.  (sigh)

Ummmm guys? I was in elementary school when MTV went on the air.

Did you know they used to actually play music videos?

OK, so maybe it was like the same dozen dang videos but they played them all day every day!

Elementary school for MTV?  (1981)  I guess that's closer, but still (sigh).  I guess it all fits with my youngest being a junior in college, but talk about feeling old right now...

• Like 2

I was just ready that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is 20 years old this month. [emoji50]

How can this be? I was just in college watching it.

...and it was after my time.

Where's my cane???????

OK, so maybe it was like the same dozen dang videos but they played them all day every day!

Heck yes. I remember playing with Barbies while watching Madonna's Borderline video at a friend's house. Good times.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sigh. I remember I was dancing at my wedding when I first heard the news of Kurt Cobain's death a few days prior.

That's hard. My husband woke me up from a nap to tell me while we were in college. I never saw him live, but saw Courtney Love play not too long afterward. 

• Like 1

I remember.  And I also remember they said it was 24/7.  One summer my best friend and I stayed up a full 24 hours (taking turns taking cat naps/eating/using the restroom/showering so that one of us was always watching that TV screen) a few days in a row to find out if that was true.  Nope.  They would go off the air for half an hour every night.  I don't remember when now but it was some oddball time like 4:30am or something.  I have no idea why our parents let us do it but it was quite fun.  :)

• Like 3

You were in college 20 years ago? I'm jealous. (sigh)

Elementary school for MTV? (1981) I guess that's closer, but still (sigh). I guess it all fits with my youngest being a junior in college, but talk about feeling old right now...

Ahem. 1981. Year I graduated high school.

My most recent "I feel old" moment came when we decided to watch Twister last week, in honor of Bill Paxton, and I realized it came out in 1996.

NINETEEN NINETY-SIX.

TWENTY-ONE YEARS AGO.

I was pregnant with my first child.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 5

My most recent "I feel old" moment came when we decided to watch Twister last week, in honor of Bill Paxton, and I realized it came out in 1996.

NINETEEN NINETY-SIX.

TWENTY-ONE YEARS AGO.

So, I started high school 21 years ago then... I remember watching buffy at a sleepover in elementary.

NINETEEN NINETY-SIX.

TWENTY-ONE YEARS AGO.

Without this thread, my most recent "I feel old" moment came when listening to a couple of adults walking on the beach getting to know each other.  They found out they went to the same high school.  One mentioned he'd graduated in '96.  The other graduated in '92.  They looked way too old to have graduated a decade after I did, which, of course, made me feel "wonderful."  My kids were all born by '96.

• Like 2

I never caught it until 1994, but once I did, we were completely hooked.  We actually just finished another re-watch with the 16 year old.  We started on Netflix, but I broke out the dvds because they were SO well done.  Was very surprised to find the Netflix ones to have been edited somewhat.  Love the extras on the dvds as well.

Once More With Feeling everyone!

Oh and I AM old. ;)  I was 16 when MTV aired in 1981

Seekinghim45, I too feel like 9/11 was just yesterday.  Sure seems like it in my brain.

• Like 2

I don't believe Buffy is that old.  I didn't watch it until I got Netflix 9 years ago, so it didn't air until 2008.  

Buffy is 9 years old.  

The end.

According the wikipedia, 

The first season of the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer premiered on March 10, 1997

... but you can continue to live in any fantasy world (or Fantasy Island) you like. ;)

• Like 1

High school for me.

And I, too, was all "grown up" when the Buffy series began. In fact, I was already out of college and working when I went to see the original film in the theatre.

So, yeah, if the OP is "old," then I'm ancient.

• Like 2

Yeah, I felt old the other day when i talked to my class about 9/11.   I asked them if they remembered how the nation came together.  They gave me a blank look, then one of them told me, " But Mrs. xxxxx, I was only 1 year old then!"

Didn't 9/11 happen yesterday????

A similar thing happened in a class I'm taking at a community college... The professor was illustrating a point using 9/11 as an example, then she realized most of the class was less than five years old when it happened. In 2001, I had just given birth to my first dd, so most of my classmates, it seems, are my are kids' age...  :glare:

Edited by MiMi 4under3
  • Like 1

That type of thing happened when I was in high school.

I am going to reference a Canadian event you all will have never heard of... It occurred in 1970.

It was 1985, and or Social Studies Teacher said something like... "Of course you all remember the FLQ crisis...". Well, no... We were 2....

I always wondered.... Did he not say anything like that the previous few years and had students point out they were only 3 or 4???

Of course, I also love the University professor that was going to start is on an introduction to the Metric System..... We were (the main part of the class anyway) the cohort that had been in Kindergarten when the Metric system was made the system of measurement in Canada. We had units introducing us to the Metric system every single year in elementary school.

As we were engineering students who would be expected to be able to use both systems, we asked for an introduction to the imperial and U.S. systems instead....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What are you youngsters complaining about? I graduated from high school 35 years ago! It's good to know I have a couple of contemporaries here. My oldest was 5 on September 11th. I was just reminding my family that today is the 13th anniversary of the Madrid commuter train bombings, my youngest was only 3 weeks old at the time.

• Like 3

What are you youngsters complaining about? I graduated from high school 35 years ago! It's good to know I have a couple of contemporaries here. My oldest was 5 on September 11th. I was just reminding my family that today is the 13th anniversary of the Madrid commuter train bombings, my youngest was only 3 weeks old at the time.

I forgot to pick my youngest up from the school bus stop on 9/11, so the bus driver had to take him back to school.  The school tried calling me, but of course I didn't answer the phone because I was talking to my mom on the phone while watching TV...  Youngest was in kindergarten at the time.

Of course, I eventually listened to the message, felt awful at forgetting him and rushed to the school.  Fortunately they were very understanding considering all that was going on.

Such memories... now I'm wondering if HE remembers it!  (I know he remembers - vaguely - 9/11, but does he remember his mom totally forgetting him???)

• Like 1

I'm feeling this more and more lately.  When you are flipping through your dh's Sirius radio and all these "Classic" stations are playing music that you are *pretty sure* came out after you got married....

Because I am in college right now (the same one, btw, that all three of my dds also attend), I feel ancient on a daily basis.  The students in most of my classes are the same age or younger than my kids.  My head may or may not spin around when they call my Mrs. ____ .

• Like 4

I forgot to pick my youngest up from the school bus stop on 9/11, so the bus driver had to take him back to school.  The school tried calling me, but of course I didn't answer the phone because I was talking to my mom on the phone while watching TV...  Youngest was in kindergarten at the time.

Of course, I eventually listened to the message, felt awful at forgetting him and rushed to the school.  Fortunately they were very understanding considering all that was going on.

Such memories... now I'm wondering if HE remembers it!  (I know he remembers - vaguely - 9/11, but does he remember his mom totally forgetting him???)

I was already married when Princess Di and Prince Charles got married.

Creekland, you need to ask him and find out if there is any lingering trauma, 😉! We were in the Washington D.C. metro area at the time. The schools dismissed students early. Everyone was worried about another plane heading for the White House.

Annie G, we bow down to your wisdom and experience! I was still a high school junior in Spain.

• Like 2

I'm feeling this more and more lately. When you are flipping through your dh's Sirius radio and all these "Classic" stations are playing music that you are *pretty sure* came out after you got married....

Because I am in college right now (the same one, btw, that all three of my dds also attend), I feel ancient on a daily basis. The students in most of my classes are the same age or younger than my kids. My head may or may not spin around when they call my Mrs. ____ .

I understand the feeling. I work with 5 year olds. Last February, when I celebrated my 53rd birthday, their first guess as to how old I was turning was 100! I had another kid ask me recently why I have white hairs as I bent down to help her tie her shoes, and another one why I have wrinkles in my face! 'Cause I am getting old, kiddo, 😆.

• Like 3

I understand the feeling. I work with 5 year olds. Last February, when I celebrated my 53rd birthday, their first guess as to how old I was turning was 100! I had another kid ask me recently why I have white hairs as I bent down to help her tie her shoes, and another one why I have wrinkles in my face! 'Cause I am getting old, kiddo, 😆.

Those are not white hairs. That is freaking glitter growing out of your head.

• Like 6

Creekland, you need to ask him and find out if there is any lingering trauma, 😉! We were in the Washington D.C. metro area at the time. The schools dismissed students early. Everyone was worried about another plane heading for the White House.

Our schools didn't dismiss early, but the leaders were wary as our school buses were on standby in case a decision was made to evacuate nearby large cities.  At the time, no one knew just how large this was going to become (as those of us old enough to remember know).

I think 9/11 shook many by letting us know the world wasn't quite as safe as we all thought it was.

• Like 2

I had kids in elementary school when MTV went on the air. 

Went to an antique mall recently with my DD.  She was cracking up at how much stuff she finds that is or was in my house.  

I love her anyway.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 6

At the grocery store, my bag of potatoes had a hole. He offered to get a new one, I said not to bother so he just put them in a paper bag. He wrote a note on the bag using a sharpie saying "loose potatos" as a reminder. Then he noticed his error as his coworker was walking by. She said he pulled a Dan Quayle. He just looked confused, paused and asked me what that meant.

• Like 4

I was at my college taking classes across the river from NYC on 9/11, but I was an "older" student at that time.

I was married and my oldest was 3 years old when Buffy started.

MTV started when I was in Junior High.

I usually feel old when I'm around the parents of my younger kids friends, although quite a few of the more recent ones are my age.

I'm younger than my older daughter's friend's parents.

I'm 13 years younger than Dh so whenever we go to his reunions or hang out with his friends, I feel young. :closedeyes: 

• Like 1

Those are not white hairs. That is freaking glitter growing out of your head.

Superhero streaks!

😆 I would like to go with superhero glitter streaks for sure but, alas, it is white highlights that adorn my hair these days! I am ok with it actually. I am just grateful this is a fairly recent event. My sister started dyeing her hair in her 20s because of gray and white hairs.

• Like 2

😆 I would like to go with superhero glitter streaks for sure but, alas, it is white highlights that adorn my hair these days! I am ok with it actually. I am just grateful this is a fairly recent event. My sister started dyeing her hair in her 20s because of gray and white hairs.

I love my Superhero streaks, I think they are lovely and I KNOW I earned every one of them. ;)

• Like 2

Our schools didn't dismiss early, but the leaders were wary as our school buses were on standby in case a decision was made to evacuate nearby large cities. At the time, no one knew just how large this was going to become (as those of us old enough to remember know).

I think 9/11 shook many by letting us know the world wasn't quite as safe as we all thought it was.

I had previously lived with the threat of domestic terrorism both in Spain and the U.K. so I had no illusion as to how safe our world was. I did feel most Americans lost that false sense of security and felt very sorry.

• Like 1