Menu

Chores, charts, allowance, and discipline

I'm considering starting a chore chart or list with my DDs. I know a lot of people say that if kids are old enough to carry things, they're old enough to do chores. My DD3 is obviously old enough to do some things, and is eager to help (on occasion :lol:), and my DD6 has shown enough interest in helping out (she's my eager-to-please kid) that I think it would be a good time to start something more formal than just "Pick up your toys!"

What kinds of chores do you give your little kids? I was thinking: dumping their hampers into the main basket, helping me unload the dishwasher and switch the laundry, making their beds, and setting and clearing the table. Some chores would be alternated weekly (laundry, dishwasher etc.) and some would be every week (hampers, beds). Is there more? Should there be less? Should I ramp up slowly?

And now the big question: How do I enforce? We do not spank, and it's not an option here. We have cut back a lot on screen time, but total elimination for a day could always be the consequence. I'm tempted to use allowance to enforce, but while they care about the money today, I've set up situations like this in the past, only to have DD6 (then 4 or 5) say, "That's OK, I don't want the money." And DD3 thinks a chore chart is a great idea and can't wait to start doing them...today. I know that when it comes down to it, we're going to battle it out, and she's my strong-willed one. How does one gently and lovingly enforce chores? :bigear:

Finally, do you have a chore system you like? We don't have any real routines here, so I'm going to need something to keep me on track to keep them on track. Any links/files/advice are welcome.

TIA!

Funny enough, I was just talking about this.

When my oldest were little, I had this wooden "coat hanger" on the wall. I attached the pegs to the base of it with thin chain link so they could hang down when they were not in the holes. I assigned each peg a chore. When the girls did the chore, they put the peg in the hole and the idea was to fill all the peg holes by nights end. If so, they got .10cents for each peg and I added it up at the end of the week. They were young enough that they wanted to get all the pegs full everyday.

The chores were things like emptying the trash cans around the house, making the bed and feeding the pets. If they didn't do it, they got no praise, a comment of disapproval and less money. I don't remember having much trouble with it.

My youngest girls are 7 and their chores are : they feed the pets daily, empty the trash cans several times per week, bring down their laundry to the laundry room on Tues. and Fridays, put their laundry away, sweep their room, make their bed, clean up after themselves, help put groceries away and ...anything else I throw their way but those are the regulars. There has been no punishment because, honestly, they just do them. If they didn't, I guess I'd just get them, point it out and insist it get done now.

I pay my kids $.25 per chore. I like doing it this way because it makes the link between work and money obvious to them. What we is we create a 5x4 grid, and every time they do a paid job they color in a square. When the grid is full, they've earned $5. That makes it easier for us to keep track of how much they need to tithe.

The jobs my kids regularly do are:

fold towels

fold laundry (8yo)

unload dishwasher

load dishwasher

scrub kitchen counters

clean bathroom (8yo)

bring in the trash cans

help in the yard

...and I'll pay for other things too. Basically anything they do to take care of themselves, their things or their room I won't pay for, but anything they do to help the family I'll pay them for. We don't pay for school either. :)

As far as "not wanting the money", I think the best way to use money as a motivator is to allow them to spend it! You can start small--take them to Target and let them buy from the dollar section when they've earned $1. When they know they can get something they want by working, they'll learn to work harder. My son is constantly asking if he can do jobs for me.

Also, when my kids get older they'll be expected to pay for more (and have more opportunities to earn money). I'll be figuring what I would normally spend on clothes, increase their pay by about that much, and expect them to buy their own clothes, do their own laundry, etc. DD will probably be expected to start paying for her friends' b-day presents soon.

We don't have a chore routine either, they just do the work when I tell them to. For your 3yo, I wouldn't probably have her do too much on her own. She can help mommy and be rewarded for that. She might not even really need to get paid. My 3yo puts things away when I tell her to, but I don't pay her yet. On the other hand, when my oldest was 3, she worked and got paid. I just don't have enough chores yet that my kids can do! We need to buy a farm or something. :)

I think that I am finding that money is still too abstract at the ages that you are working with. It IS starting to be a good motivator for my 9 and 11yos.

For my younger dc I am learning to really work with their natural desire to please momma and to feel like a necessary part of the family. IOW, make the work fun for them. Lots and lots of praise for their efforts! My dc also loved sticker charts at that age. Get or make a chart that is really fun and colorful and reward them with stars for a job well done with a good attitude. Perhaps a filled-in chart could result in a trip to the ice cream parlor? HTH

Kim

I try to have my kids do chores before school most days. Typical jobs are:

- pick up family room of debris (random socks, bits of paper, tiny toys lol) then vacuum (8yo or 6yo)

- same chore but for living room (8yo or 6yo)

- sweep kitchen floor (8yo, 6yo, or 4yo)

- mop kitchen floor (8yo)

- clean kids bathroom (8yo)

- match and fold socks (4yo)

- dust (6yo and 4yo)

Those are the main ones - I have some other filler things I can have my younger guy do - like wipe off fronts of appliances or dust baseboards, but the stuff up top are the big ones. These chores are in addition to their personal responsibilities of:

- picking up their own toys

- making their own bed

- putting away their own laundry

- putting their dirty clothes in the hamper

No chores in my house are tied to allowance. Our kids do get an allowance but it has to do with sharing our blessings as a family, teaching them about the value of money and how to save for something.

I discipline for chores the way I discipline for anything else - they have to do the chore just as they have to brush their teeth or pick up toys, we all share the load as a family. There is no option to take a discipline (losing the tv or whatever) and then not doing the chore.

It has really helped me to involve them so much in housework - even though they may not do a job as well as I would - it helps! I can't wait until they can unload the dishwasher.....:p

I discipline for chores the way I discipline for anything else - they have to do the chore just as they have to brush their teeth or pick up toys, we all share the load as a family. There is no option to take a discipline (losing the tv or whatever) and then not doing the chore.

How does this work? It sounds like we could use you in our discipline group.:D

Yes, please share! I've often wondered just what I'd do if a kid flatly refused to do something I told them (and it mattered enough to enforce it). Teeth are the one thing I'll hold a kid down for (I mean, outside of obvious need for medical treatment of some kind), but I can't see pinning a kid down and forcing them to pick up a toy. But what else is there? I'm thinking of my DD3 here. I guess I'm afraid of starting her in such an initiative knowing that there's a good chance she'll disobey me, and then what? Physical force? I'm just trying to think through all the eventualities before I make a big stand here. My DD6 is motivated by her desire to please and contribute and her understanding of the whole family pitching in. My DD3 hasn't absorbed that yet, so will take off running when told to do something she doesn't want to do. Not so often, anymore, but it does still happen--she's just barely three.

Edited by melissel

And now the big question: How do I enforce? We do not spank, and it's not an option here.

We don't spank either, and stopped giving time outs a few years ago. A child who refused to do a chore would be brought to sit with me. We would cuddle while I explained why the chore needed doing. I would talk about the work we all do for each other, and then would stand by while the child completed the task. If he was having a hard time with organising the job, I'd help him work it out.

ETA: with a very young one (under about five) I'd start chores very slowly, without a big announcement. Instead, I would start inviting him to do things alongside me, in a fun and funny way.

The boys do the following without being asked:

- make their beds

- tidy up

- put their clothes into the dirty clothes area

- put away folded clothes

- lay and tidy the table

also, sometimes of their own accords, sometimes when I ask them

- empty the dishwasher

- take out the rubbish/recycling

- vacuum

- sweep

- make me cups of tea

Best wishes

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

We don't spank either, and stopped giving time outs a few years ago. A child who refused to do a chore would be brought to sit with me. We would cuddle while I explained why the chore needed doing. I would talk about the work we all do for each other, and then would stand by while the child completed the task. If he was having a hard time with organising the job, I'd help him work it out.

Best wishes

Laura

And this actually worked? This would absolutely be my preferred method, and with older DD, it would work beautifully. But imagining doing it with my three-year-old...well, it almost makes me laugh! She's just so...strong-willed! I've never dealt with anything like it before. I would love to believe this will work. What would you do if it didn't and C or H still refused? Or did it really work every time? (Can you see me clutching at straws here? :lol: Because this is the kid who did get spanked, one time, by me, after she attacked me like a wild animal and tried to bite me repeatedly. And if you know how I feel about corporal punishment, you'd know how big a deal that was and how much I fear ever going there again :()

And this actually worked? This would absolutely be my preferred method, and with older DD, it would work beautifully. But imagining doing it with my three-year-old...well, it almost makes me laugh!

I'd not raise the stakes with her - instead try to introduce chores as a normal (and preferably fun) part of life.

Best wishes

Laura

I'd not raise the stakes with her - instead try to introduce chores as a normal (and preferably fun) part of life.

Best wishes

Laura

Ah, I didn't see your edits, thank you. I wish I could figure out how to make chores an everyday thing. I've been trying, and about 50% of the time she does as I ask without too much trouble. 25% of the time there's grumbling and delaying, but then compliance, and the other 25% of the time I get bald refusal. I know consistency is key, so I'm not sure what to do about that last 25%. Maybe I really can't expect it until she's older. Hmmm... Maybe you're right. I'll implement the chore chart with the big one, who's more motivated, and keep it lighter with the little one. DD6 is old enough to know that DD3 is exempted from some things (both onerous and fun, like our trip to see the Nutcracker in December) due to age, and that that will change as time passes. This has the added benefit of motivating DD3 because she hates to be left out of anything DD6 does :lol: I love it when I get to spread a lesson all around!

Wow, thank you, Laura, and thank you all for helping me think this through. This discussion is exactly what I needed to get from concept to execution. Green squares for everyone! (Oh, wait...darn it! :D)

I wish I could figure out how to make chores an everyday thing. I've been trying, and about 50% of the time she does as I ask without too much trouble. 25% of the time there's grumbling and delaying, but then compliance, and the other 25% of the time I get bald refusal. I know consistency is key, so I'm not sure what to do about that last 25%. Maybe I really can't expect it until she's older.

As you say, the consistency comes later. For now, if she's doing it sometimes, that's great. Build on it slowly. For now I wouldn't say, "It's time for you to do....." but rather "I'm going to.... why don't you do it with me? Not this time? Okay, maybe another day..." She's young, and there's plenty of time. FWIW, I didn't really expect much in the way of chores at that age. Maybe putting the odd toy or book away.

Best wishes

Laura

As you say, the consistency comes later. For now, if she's doing it sometimes, that's great. Build on it slowly. For now I wouldn't say, "It's time for you to do....." but rather "I'm going to.... why don't you do it with me? Not this time? Okay, maybe another day..." She's young, and there's plenty of time. FWIW, I didn't really expect much in the way of chores at that age. Maybe putting the odd toy or book away.

Best wishes

Laura

Thanks for that. I used to spend time at a gentle discipline forum that advocated a consensual living lifestyle so strongly that you felt guilty if you ever asked a kid to do anything they didn't feel like doing. I like some aspects of that approach, but I started to feel really trampled on. I'm trying to find a balance between that "crossed boundaries" feeling and realistic expectations, especially as they grow older, you know?

We have a family culture of helping each other. When I unload the dishwasher, often one of my kids takes over. When I'm folding laundry, I've always got help. My kids know that when they get up, they're supposed to groom, dress, and tidy their rooms before breakfast. They just do it. It's not a big deal.

I'm generous with my time, my energy, and my resources with my kids and I expect the same in return. If I need help, I ask. They assist. No one has ever refused.

I think a lot of investment goes into the idea that kids won't want to work and will resist. I don't think that's true. My kids just do because that's what we've always done, as soon as they're old enough to really contribute. Of course, the littles (under 5 or 6) don't really do much except be cute. That's their job.:001_smile:

I think a lot of investment goes into the idea that kids won't want to work and will resist. I don't think that's true. My kids just do because that's what we've always done, as soon as they're old enough to really contribute. Of course, the littles (under 5 or 6) don't really do much except be cute. That's their job.:001_smile:

Well, that's the thing, we haven't always done it that way. It's always been much easier and faster for me to do things without their involvement, so that's what I did. But they're getting older, and raising them that way isn't going to do them any favors, so I know I need to start incorporating more responsibility. And they do resist many of those things. DD6 just does NOT like to get dressed and brush her hair first thing, while DD3 is fine with that idea. DD6 is getting much better at cleaning up one thing before taking out another, but DD3 has a lot of trouble with that. And so on. That's my main goal here, to try to offer them some things they can help me with and be proud of themselves, and also give them some responsibilities within the family structure. I guess that's what I'm pondering--the best and least stressful ways to do this.

And the chart isn't actually geared toward rewards. It would just be a physical way to record the things that need to be done each day. If the job is done, you move the peg from one side to the other, until all the pegs are moved over. The next day, you start again. They love to see a physical marker of their accomplishment. I was considering tying it to allowance, but I don't think I will, though I will probably reward the completion of tasks above and beyond the basics.

Eventually, I do hope to create a home culture like yours, where you just pitch in as needed because you're a family. We've been talking about that. I just need something to get us started, because they've had it pretty easy until now :lol:

And it might be fun for you. And you all might feel great having a physical reminder of your accomplishments.

You don't need a chart to make chores flow smoothly. It doesn't sound like "flow" is really your worry, though. It sounds more like you want to get your girls involved and this sounds like a fun way to go about it for you. So go for it! But if it becomes a drag, drop it and just involve your girls in the work of life. For me, it would be more work than it would be worth.

FWIW, if I struggle with my 3 yo dd about anything, I just tell her we won't be able to play outside (her great love) until we get whatever done. She snaps to it. For her, it's all about getting something over with (in her case, our disagreement involves having her hair brushed and pulled back out of her eyes) to get to the good stuff faster. And if she doesn't comply, we don't go out (or read Thumbelina, or have a snack, or give the puppy a treat, or whatever....)

The beauty of this is, there's always something she wants to do next which makes finding a consequence fairly easy.

We have a family culture of helping each other. When I unload the dishwasher, often one of my kids takes over. When I'm folding laundry, I've always got help. My kids know that when they get up, they're supposed to groom, dress, and tidy their rooms before breakfast. They just do it. It's not a big deal.

I'm generous with my time, my energy, and my resources with my kids and I expect the same in return. If I need help, I ask. They assist. No one has ever refused.

This sounds very much like how we do things here.

I think that by doing all the chores myself when the children were younger, cheerfully, happily and willingly (presumably how you want your children to do their chores) they never picked up on the idea that chores are something to avoid or dislike.

Things just need doing. Sometimes when I'm doing something I say "Could you help me with this for a while?" and mostly the child just happily helps and we have a nice time chatting together while the chore gets done.

Now that the boys are older, it has worked out that they each handle certain chores every day. Sometimes they may ask me, or one of the girls for help to get everything done more quickly and, if possible, we would willingly help out.

We never have used charts or allowance or discipline to get the housework done, we just do it.

I'll check out the group thanks, I am always in need of help there myself!

I'm not sure why - but morning chores are not a big deal to my kids. I have more trouble with obedience in other areas than I do chores. Typically I assign them jobs and I'm working along beside them doing my own chores so maybe it's the "we're all working together" thing.

The one area we do have some issues with are the toys in their bedrooms - over time, the legos get spread out and the toys get unorganized and it gets harder and harder for them to pick up. Occasionally my 6yo will get out too many things and it's overwhelming for him to get it done. In the past I have not been afraid to take toys away if they don't get picked up so they know they will lose stuff if it's left out. A few months ago my dh and I actually took almost all the toys out of our house. We had reached a bad point as far as toys being mixed up with each other and disorganized (it's no fun to play with the wooden food if you can't find all the pieces...). The big boys' legos were a mess - the playmobile was everywhere, you get the idea. We basically just took it all out, save 1-2 things per child. This left their rooms very easy to clean up and very easy to keep organized. We didn't bring the bulk of the toys back in the house until we had time to reorganize everything (sort all the little people here, all the zoobs there, all the duplos here, etc) so they were without for about 2 1/2 months. When we brought the toys back in, we were very methodical about finding a "home" for everything. A proper storage box, a place for it to be put away etc. And I've declared that at 4:30 everyday we pick up everything and whatever doesn't get picked up? Back out to the garage it goes. I think we might actually have too much in the house now that it's all back in - I will probably take some back out and then rotate their toys. I think it's key that they don't have so much in their rooms that they can't pick up themselves.

That was a huge tangent - sorry! But just some ideas for anyone that has out of control toys.

As to how the discipline thing works - most of the time I give a warning and then expect compliance. If I don't get it, then I try to institute a practical consequence. If I have continued issues with a specific child (and yeah, most of the time it's ONE kid lol) then I will use a chart where he gets a mark on it for direct disobedience and he loses privileges as he accumulates marks. Privileges lost (if I recall) are usually - no break from school (gets a break but has to sit at his chair and not play), loses tv, loses leapster, bed 1/2 hour early, etc). I switch them around. I don't have to use it often - just when my *ahem* difficult child needs some perspective.

Y'know, different ways work for different families. The specifics of responsibilities and consequences are going to change and evolve over time, so don't feel like you have to come up with ***The SYSTEM!*** right away.

Remember, you're teaching your kids how to be grown-ups. You might not even need to think of it as a 'system' or a 'chart' or a set of actions/consequences. Just start tucking them alongside as you do various jobs, show them how it's done, let them try it, and gradually give it over to them.

If you want a system, take a look at this: Accountable Kids (has some Christian content)

My kids (10 and 7) regularly make their beds, clean their sink/surrounding bathroom countertops, clean toilets, do dishes, load/unload dishwasher, dust, sweep kitchen floor, clean up dog doo, take trash and recyclables out, and assist with laundry. It's just been a gradual process of teaching them how. :)

I'm considering starting a chore chart or list with my DDs. I know a lot of people say that if kids are old enough to carry things, they're old enough to do chores. My DD3 is obviously old enough to do some things, and is eager to help (on occasion :lol:), and my DD6 has shown enough interest in helping out (she's my eager-to-please kid) that I think it would be a good time to start something more formal than just "Pick up your toys!"

What kinds of chores do you give your little kids? I was thinking: dumping their hampers into the main basket, helping me unload the dishwasher and switch the laundry, making their beds, and setting and clearing the table. Some chores would be alternated weekly (laundry, dishwasher etc.) and some would be every week (hampers, beds). Is there more? Should there be less? Should I ramp up slowly?

And now the big question: How do I enforce? We do not spank, and it's not an option here. We have cut back a lot on screen time, but total elimination for a day could always be the consequence. I'm tempted to use allowance to enforce, but while they care about the money today, I've set up situations like this in the past, only to have DD6 (then 4 or 5) say, "That's OK, I don't want the money." And DD3 thinks a chore chart is a great idea and can't wait to start doing them...today. I know that when it comes down to it, we're going to battle it out, and she's my strong-willed one. How does one gently and lovingly enforce chores? :bigear:

Finally, do you have a chore system you like? We don't have any real routines here, so I'm going to need something to keep me on track to keep them on track. Any links/files/advice are welcome.

TIA!

I may be way out there on this, but we don't pay our dc for any chores. Chores are something that everybody does to make our home run smoothly. Well, run, anyway. :)

We don't have allowances here, either. If a dc *wants* something that dh and I won't buy, dc can earn money by doing extra work around the house/ranch. At young ages, they can earn enough money to buy cheap toys by helping me do *my* chores. I've found that this really brings home that money isn't freely given, but earned by work....a lesson that will stay with them their entire lives. The older they get, the more expensive their 'toys' and the more work they must do. It's amazing that a $50 gadget isn't nearly as important when they find they get to work for it as opposed to just save money we give them. :)

As for chores, they must be done before the dc have the freedom to play. If I'm not consistent, which has been known to happen, and the chores start falling by the wayside, then chores must be done before a meal... until dc get back in the habit of doing them in a timely manner.

There is a great site for teaching kids about money. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it is. :lol: Sorry! It's pretty conservative and gives some great ideas.

hth!

Aggie

Since your kids are younger, I'll not write out what the eight year old does.

My six year old is responsible for...

Morning

Get self dressed, put pjs in hamper, make bed, brush own teeth, brush hair (when he has hair), feed the dog, feed the cats, fill animals' water bowl

Afternoon

Help pick up three main rooms, take out recycling

Evening

Fill drinks for dinner, scrape plate, wipe down table, feed dog, check water bowl, put on pjs, put dirty clothes in hamper, brush own teeth, pick up own room

When Needed

Help put away laundry (sometimes I have them fold and put away their own laundry, sometimes I fold and they put it all away for everyone), crush aluminum cans, get things for mom/dad when asked, throw away diapers when asked, watch the toddler in the bath

Sometimes he asks to help

cook, vacuum, sweep, mop, clean the bathroom (toilet, sink, cabinets, doorknobs, door), wipe down kitchen cabinet fronts, put clothes in the washer/dryer

I use a school bell program to keep us on routine. When the 8am bell rings, my kids get up and do their morning chores if they haven't already done them. The afternoon pick up is also scheduled by the bells. The other things fall at their obvious times (ie. dinner chores at dinner time) or are done when they are asked to do them.

My kids have no choice about doing chores. Each person in the family has responsiblities they must fulfill. We used to enforce chores and deal with attitude problems with time outs, taking away computer time, or taking away an upcoming outing that they were looking forward to. We've also had long talks about responsibility and what would happen if daddy decided he didn't want to do his chores (meaning go to work) or if mommy decided not to do hers (ie. clean, cook). My kids pretty much do what they are suppose to do without issues now.

We don't pay or reward for chores as a regular thing. We don't currently have the money to pay an allowance. My kids are ok with this. They understand basic money management principles and our current financial situation. When I have a few dollars, I'll randomly hand the kids money and thank them for the good job they've been doing. Sometimes we'll do something fun with the kids and explain we are doing this special outing because they've done so well with school or helping out.

My 19 month old doesn't have set chores yet. We've started training him though. He's very strong-willed and is learning that he must do what he is told or visit the corner. He does "chores" when he is told. His chores are limited to throwing away his diaper when it can be safely closed without risk of leaking, throwing away small pieces of trash we give him for that purpose, helping to sort laundry, practicing drying plastic dishes (he likes to hand me dishes to put away too), helping with cooking, putting away his toys, and putting away the DVDs or books he's taken off of the shelf. Of course "helping" means he's slowing me down and not doing much but he enjoys being included and is learning. Today he helped with putting away laundry for the first time and learned where to put his socks and daddy's socks.