Menu

Friday laugh: Did you see this BBC blooper?

SerenityNow

I think this helps explain why she seemed to intentionally stay so low to the ground.

I love every bit of this video but I have to say, "the reach" at the end brought me to tears.

Baby Davros....hahahahahahaha!

The preschooler dance, the hand.... I really hope that family is able to have a good laugh over this. I can't believe the criticism.

yes, it's that desperate reach at the end ... and the way the books go flying when she first reaches for the daughter!   :laugh:

and the dad's face ... AND the interviewer – you can tell he's struggling to keep a straight face, too.

Priceless! Hey, are those baby bouncy/wheely things still legal in the US? He'd be in trouble in Canada. 

They live in South Korea (Busan). Which also explains her quick entrance – they wear socks, not shoes, in their apartment.

My brother knows Robert (the professor being interviewed) and says he's a great guy. I hope he and his wife don't read all the nasty comments people are posting. When Robert gently pushes the girl back, out of reach of the keyboard, she doesn't seem upset, but just keeps chewing on her toothbrush or whatever that is she's holding.

My brother (listening to the audio) says the girl is saying "Why, Mommy?" in Korean as she is being dragged out of the room. Robert's mother (in Ohio) says the family often Skypes with them from that room, so she assumes the kids thought Daddy was Skyping with Grandma and Grandpa. 

on a WTM note: in Robert's blog he says, "I find antiquity so fascinating I took two extra years of grad school just to study Greek and Latin. Reading Socrates' 'Apology' in the original is one of the great achievements of my life."

I forwarded that to my kids as encouragement to be a true scholar.  :001_tt1:

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 15

yes, it's that desperate reach at the end ... and the way the books go flying when she first reaches for the daughter! :laugh:

and the dad's face ... AND the interviewer – you can tell he's struggling to keep a straight face, too.

They live in South Korea (Busan). Which also explains her quick entrance – they wear socks, not shoes, in their apartment.

My brother knows Robert (the professor being interviewed) and says he's a great guy. I hope he and his wife don't read all the nasty comments people are posting. When Robert gently pushes the girl back, out of reach of the keyboard, she doesn't seem upset, but just keeps chewing on her toothbrush or whatever that is she's holding.

My brother (listening to the audio) says the girl is saying "Why, Mommy?" in Korean as she is being dragged out of the room. Robert's mother (in Ohio) says the family often Skypes with them from that room, so she assumes the kids thought Daddy was Skyping with Grandma and Grandpa.

on a WTM note: in Robert's blog he says, "I find antiquity so fascinating I took two extra years of grad school just to study Greek and Latin. Reading Socrates' 'Apology' in the original is one of the great achievements of my life."

I forwarded that to my kids as encouragement to be a true scholar. :001_tt1:

Oh please pass along our overwhelming love and laughter for this event. Let them (mom especially!) know how many of us completely understand how unpredictable life with little kids can be. Ignore the critics.

Team No Shame!

• Like 11

[quote name="meena" post="7489963" timestamp="1489252061

My only complaint is not even with the video but rather the comments that automatically assume the woman is the nanny and not the mom/wife.

And you seem to be doing a little bit of assuming yourself about why people might have thought nanny instead of wife. I honestly thought teen baby sitter when I saw the wife.

Oh please pass along our overwhelming love and laughter for this event. Let them (mom especially!) know how many of us completely understand how unpredictable life with little kids can be. Ignore the critics.

Team No Shame!

Right??  After composing myself, I just really wanted to give her a hug.

• Like 7

And you seem to be doing a little bit of assuming yourself about why people might have thought nanny instead of wife. I honestly thought teen baby sitter when I saw the wife.

Nope, none at all. It's frustrating to see people stating her as being the nanny as fact (ex: "How bad for that poor nanny"), without even checking to see if that was actually the case, then seeing later commenters use those same original misstatements as reason to assume that as well to go even further (ex: "I hope that nanny doesn't get fired"). 

So what was your assumption about my assumption? :)

(Editing to add, since emotion comes across horribly online, I'm totally joking with that last sentence and mean no harm or ill will)

(Another edit to say that my frustrations aren't coming from any commenters here but rather on other sites)

Edited by meena

Team No Shame!

Yes!  Since you have a way to communicate, let her know we think their family is adorable, and we've ALL had those sort of experiences!

• Like 5

Team No Shame!

Right??  After composing myself, I just really wanted to give her a hug.

Yes!  Since you have a way to communicate, let her know we think their family is adorable, and we've ALL had those sort of experiences!

I have copied your posts and will send them to my brother, asking him to forward them to Jung-a and Bob Kelly. I'm sure they will appreciate the support and empathy! Thank you all.

• Like 7

I didin't want to bump this thread to the front of the Chat Board, but there were a few PSAs that might be helpful that have come out of this whole story. It's just that I heard from my brother this morning and he knows Bob better than I realized ... my brother says he's kind of a mentor to him, being a few years older. They are in a fairly obscure academic field, one that rarely gets the spotlight, except now with the turmoil in Korea, and of course the viral video. (Friends of ours in Russia & farther afield say the video has been shared all over there, too. This Internet is a crazy thing!)

Anyway, my brother says Bob is (understandably) taking a break from social media right now. He (Bob) says it's been horrible, with lots of the wrong kind of attention. (If he was just an Internet-star wannabe, this would be pure gold, at least until the next viral video; but he's just a regular guy, a quiet, serious academic.) He says people all over the world are hunting down pictures of his family and reposting them ... partly, I assume, b/c the kids are so darn cute! but that's still creepy :ohmy:

So the PSA is the usual – Be careful what you post online, because you never know. All of their fellow obscure academics are checking the privacy settings on their FB, Twitter, etc. posts. My brother has also been interviewed on BBC and other networks, and a media contact recently emailed him with another PSA: Make sure the door is locked when you're being interviewed! :) My brother has posted a few pics of his own kids (mostly from the back), b/c people are naturally curious about one's family, and if it's a small pool of people you know professionally, that's fine ... but obviously a chance happening can blow that all out of the water! I know we all know these PSAs, and they are regularly posted on this board, but a reminder never hurts.

I won't bump this thread again, but I will update this post when/if my brother hears back from Bob about our WTM well-wishes! :)

ETA: My brother was quite happy to forward our messages, and promised to let me know if Bob responds. I'll quote from his email to me (editing a bit for privacy :) ) –
"He and his wife really are feeling a bit judged or attacked, even though much of the response has been so positive. I'll send those messages along, for sure. ... And a bit about Bob you can share — he is a midwestern boy through and through. Got a PhD at Ohio State and then got a job in Korea. They wanted him to teach American foreign policy ... What he did do, which few expats do, is actually be willing to learn about Korea. So he emailed me out of the blue in 2008 or 2009, simply to discuss my historical work, and disagree a bit. I told him evidence is what matters, here’s A, B, and C, and to his credit he thought about it, and just kept learning. He’s tried hard to learn to speak Korean, taking intensive Korean over the summers, etc. He’s a good guy, and I like him.

I’ll let you know if he responds! Thanks again for the empathy."

ETA2: Bob and Jung-a have given their first interview (w/the kids on their laps :) ) – WSJ article here.  

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 11

My dh and I got such a kick out of this! Dh works from home, so we could totally relate to the scenario. It has been a long time since we've had little people like that, but oh my, when that little baby rolls in in the walker...not sure that could have been scripted better! 

I am sorry their family is catching any flack.  :closedeyes: People will always find something to complain about, even something as innocuous as going to work. 

• Like 2

The interview says the mom/wife was in the living room watching him on tv and recording it with her phone....

That was the funniest video I've seen in a long time.  I laugh so hard every time.  I can't fathom why anyone would say anything ugly about any of it. 

• Like 5

Just saw this update on the Wall Street Journal via my facebook feed.  Bob Kelly talks about The BBC Interview.  I have to feel for the guy who was getting overwhelmed by the attention.

I put the link at the bottom of my updated post, but thanks for posting it by itself so people see it.

And yes, Bob WAS wearing jeans with his suit  :laugh:

• Like 3

I hope the dad gets more professional recognition after this. He deserves it! A great embarrassing moment for the whole world to see! Definitely one of the funniest things I've seen. I hope the parents are able to get to a fun place with it. It may takes years for that feeling to come. I would be mortified forever.

Has no one else noticed that Mom's pants aren't pulled all the way up?   I feel so bad for her!  That poor woman probably was just trying to pee & the kids escaped.

I've watched this several times since people have said her pants weren't all the way up and I still don't see that.  She looks fully clothed to me.  I think the pink showing is just a pink shirt underneath her striped top.  

And based on this interview, I doubt she was sitting in the living room with her pants not all the way up.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/14/bbc-viral-video-family-children-gatecrashed-interview-knew/

Edited by mom2samlibby
  • Like 5

I've watched this several times since people have said her pants weren't all the way up and I still don't see that.  She looks fully clothed to me.  I think the pink showing is just a pink shirt underneath her striped top.  

And based on this interview, I doubt she was sitting in the living room with her pants not all the way up.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/14/bbc-viral-video-family-children-gatecrashed-interview-knew/

Based on the new information, you're probably right.

I didin't want to bump this thread to the front of the Chat Board, but there were a few PSAs that might be helpful that have come out of this whole story. It's just that I heard from my brother this morning and he knows Bob better than I realized ... my brother says he's kind of a mentor to him, being a few years older. They are in a fairly obscure academic field, one that rarely gets the spotlight, except now with the turmoil in Korea, and of course the viral video. (Friends of ours in Russia & farther afield say the video has been shared all over there, too. This Internet is a crazy thing!)

Anyway, my brother says Bob is (understandably) taking a break from social media right now. He (Bob) says it's been horrible, with lots of the wrong kind of attention. (If he was just an Internet-star wannabe, this would be pure gold, at least until the next viral video; but he's just a regular guy, a quiet, serious academic.) He says people all over the world are hunting down pictures of his family and reposting them ... partly, I assume, b/c the kids are so darn cute! but that's still creepy :ohmy:

So the PSA is the usual – Be careful what you post online, because you never know. All of their fellow obscure academics are checking the privacy settings on their FB, Twitter, etc. posts. My brother has also been interviewed on BBC and other networks, and a media contact recently emailed him with another PSA: Make sure the door is locked when you're being interviewed! :) My brother has posted a few pics of his own kids (mostly from the back), b/c people are naturally curious about one's family, and if it's a small pool of people you know professionally, that's fine ... but obviously a chance happening can blow that all out of the water! I know we all know these PSAs, and they are regularly posted on this board, but a reminder never hurts.

I won't bump this thread again, but I will update this post when/if my brother hears back from Bob about our WTM well-wishes! :)

ETA: My brother was quite happy to forward our messages, and promised to let me know if Bob responds. I'll quote from his email to me (editing a bit for privacy :) ) –

"He and his wife really are feeling a bit judged or attacked, even though much of the response has been so positive. I'll send those messages along, for sure. ... And a bit about Bob you can share — he is a midwestern boy through and through. Got a PhD at Ohio State and then got a job in Korea. They wanted him to teach American foreign policy ... What he did do, which few expats do, is actually be willing to learn about Korea. So he emailed me out of the blue in 2008 or 2009, simply to discuss my historical work, and disagree a bit. I told him evidence is what matters, here’s A, B, and C, and to his credit he thought about it, and just kept learning. He’s tried hard to learn to speak Korean, taking intensive Korean over the summers, etc. He’s a good guy, and I like him.

I’ll let you know if he responds! Thanks again for the empathy."

ETA2: Bob and Jung-a have given their first interview (w/the kids on their laps :) ) – WSJ article here.  

Thank you SO much for forwarding our good wishes to this family. :) And for the link to the interview about the interview. (lol) So sorry they got caught in a firestorm of publicity! They are a lovely family, and so glad they are managing to take this well.

• Like 4

This line of thinking - that there is something wrong with having thought she might be the nanny - really bothers me.  People base their most immediate guesses on what seems most probable, that doesn't mean they are wedded to that POV or it is offensive.  Even some people I know that have lived in Asia thought it was more likely that she was the nanny rather than the wife, in part because a local nanny being employed by western professionals is more common than a local marriage in their experience.   They weren't put out that she was actually the mom.

One article I read suggested that those who thought she was a nanny must see her as less than human, which seems to say more about what the writer things about nannies than anything about latent racism.

• Like 4

This line of thinking - that there is something wrong with having thought she might be the nanny - really bothers me.  People base their most immediate guesses on what seems most probable, that doesn't mean they are wedded to that POV or it is offensive.  Even some people I know that have lived in Asia thought it was more likely that she was the nanny rather than the wife, in part because a local nanny being employed by western professionals is more common than a local marriage in their experience.   They weren't put out that she was actually the mom.

One article I read suggested that those who thought she was a nanny must see her as less than human, which seems to say more about what the writer things about nannies than anything about latent racism.

I know right?  What would be wrong with her being the nanny if that is what she was?  Personally I thought mom because of the total hilarious panic and the way she drug the kids out.  LOL....makes me laugh everytime I even think about it.

I can't see why people saw that woman and though 'must be his enployee' . Icky assumption .

I love the video and the joy those kids show.

What is icky about being a nanny? 

I can hazard a few guesses on why people thought that. One is that people didn't factor in what time it was on the guy's end or anything else. They think daytime news show, live shot or what have you.  A LOT of people assume these days both parents work, because they do. The guy is working from home---- nanny isn't an illogical assumption. I don't care what her race or anything was, or if a guy had chased the kids in the room. I don't know that would have altered people thinking it was the babysitter or nanny. Or what is wrong with them thinking that?!?  It's not like it's something horrible to be mistaken for. I would be thrilled if someone thought I was the nanny because I would assume they thought I was younger! 

Or for that matter what is wrong with being an employee? Most people are one at some point or another of their lives........some have even (gasp!) worked for MEN. It's not the end of the world or something sexist. 

Or for that matter what is wrong with being an employee? Most people are one at some point or another of their lives........some have even (gasp!) worked for MEN. It's not the end of the world or something sexist. 

I have a 35 year old boss.  I am routinely asked if I am his wife.  Um no he is young enough to be my son, but thanks anyway.....and today I was asked if I am his aunt.  Who knows why people think things.  I'm not offended.

• Like 2

I think people make quick assumptions based on their own backgrounds. No one I know has a nanny, but I've had teens for the past 14 years. My first thought was she was the oldest daughter because of the way she moved. I heard she was a yoga teacher, so that's why she probably moves like a much younger woman. As soon as I saw her grab the kids (panicked like a wife, not mad like a sibling), I knew that had to be mom.

This video is like a Rorschach's test.

Edited by Barb_

I think people make quick assumptions based on their own backgrounds. No one I know has a nanny, but I've had teens for the past 14 years. My first thought was she was the oldest daughter because of the way she moved. I heard she was a yoga teacher, so that's why she probably moves like a much younger woman. As soon as I saw her grab the kids (panicked like a wife, not mad like a sibling), I knew that had to be mom.

This video is like a Rorschach's test.

Interesting. No one I know has a nanny either.....and nanny didn't enter my mind. I have teens but they are boys....and teen didn't enter my mind either.

• Like 1

Interesting. No one I know has a nanny either.....and nanny didn't enter my mind. I have teens but they are boys....and teen didn't enter my mind either.

That's because you've never seen a teen panic and manhandle a misbehaving preschool sibling :D

My girls have swooped in and grabbed a younger sibling who was trying to get attention while I'm on the phone or at the door or with a friend, but the body language is a lot more annoyed than hers was.

ETA but I'm pretty sure you are also in great shape for your age, so that's maybe why you thought "mom"

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

That's because you've never seen a teen panic and manhandle a misbehaving preschool sibling :D

My girls have swooped in and grabbed a younger sibling who was trying to get attention while I'm on the phone or at the door or with a friend, but the body language is a lot more annoyed than hers was.

ETA but I'm pretty sure you are also in great shape for your age, so that's maybe why you thought "mom"

Ha, yes my teen boys have no experience with youngers.

I can't see why people saw that woman and though 'must be his enployee' . Icky assumption .

I love the video and the joy those kids show.

What's icky about assuming the mom was the nanny? I'm genuinely curious. I first thought it was the mom. Then after my third time viewing the video it occurred to me she could be the nanny.

It's not like it's something horrible to be mistaken for. I would be thrilled if someone thought I was the nanny because I would assume they thought I was younger!

It means that an Asian is not "good enough" to be the wife of a Caucasian.

There is a March 11th BBC article that partially explain the annoyance with assuming asians are nannies instead of the wives. The article says the good and the bad of stereotypes.

"Some families in South Korea do hire nannies - especially if both parents work long hours.

But many people feel the assumption that Ms Kim was a helper, rather than the children's mother, was grounded in racial stereotypes about the roles played by Asian women.

One journalist of Indian descent says when she went to work at a regional newspaper, the receptionist mistook her for a cleaner, and asked her: "Are you here to clean the kitchen?"

And Kumiko Toda, an academic of Japanese descent, says a majority of people who meet her for the first time ask her where she's from - despite her growing up in the UK and having a British accent.

Tiffany Wong and Jonathan Smith, a couple in the UK, say they experienced some discrimination from strangers when they started dating, although it was very much the exception rather than the norm.

"We have had people shout stuff at us - once, when we were walking down the street, a guy yelled 'it's so sad you're going with an Asian girl' to John," Tiffany says."

Source: Why did people assume an Asian woman in BBC viral video was the nanny http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39244325

• Like 2

Regarding the nanny comments -- I saw some on new sites that were just people thinking what some have said here -- she looked so young. Or I have a relative that grew up in a family culture where kids are raised by nannies, so it would be natural for her to assume a young looking woman with kids during the day=nanny.

The comments that bothered me were the ones (not here) gleefully imagining her getting deported or being fired. It's all in how it was said.

I put the link at the bottom of my updated post, but thanks for posting it by itself so people see it.

And yes, Bob WAS wearing jeans with his suit  :laugh:

I followed a link in a tweet to his articles. I hope he knows that people did seek out his work, not just gossip on his family. And it looked like what he said -- gently guiding her to the toys. She was clearly happy even after he noticed her. :)

• Like 1

What's icky about assuming the mom was the nanny? I'm genuinely curious. I first thought it was the mom. Then after my third time viewing the video it occurred to me she could be the nanny.

Because they are an interracial couple and she is Asian.

It means that an Asian is not "good enough" to be the wife of a Caucasian.

There is a March 11th BBC article that partially explain the annoyance with assuming asians are nannies instead of the wives. The article says the good and the bad of stereotypes.

"Some families in South Korea do hire nannies - especially if both parents work long hours.

But many people feel the assumption that Ms Kim was a helper, rather than the children's mother, was grounded in racial stereotypes about the roles played by Asian women.

One journalist of Indian descent says when she went to work at a regional newspaper, the receptionist mistook her for a cleaner, and asked her: "Are you here to clean the kitchen?"

And Kumiko Toda, an academic of Japanese descent, says a majority of people who meet her for the first time ask her where she's from - despite her growing up in the UK and having a British accent.

Tiffany Wong and Jonathan Smith, a couple in the UK, say they experienced some discrimination from strangers when they started dating, although it was very much the exception rather than the norm.

"We have had people shout stuff at us - once, when we were walking down the street, a guy yelled 'it's so sad you're going with an Asian girl' to John," Tiffany says."

Source: Why did people assume an Asian woman in BBC viral video was the nanny http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39244325

But why would the idea that "she wasn't good enough" have anything to do with it?

I think it's likely to be pure numbers.  If an American is living there with his family, is it more likely he will have married someone locally, or hired a nanny, locally?  Since the viewer would have no way of knowing details about ho long he has been there, it's going to be a pretty basic guesstimate of the broad probabilities.  Their sense of how common nannies are for foreign academics will depend on how familiar they are with that particular place.

But say, for example, that 90% of married, white visiting academics from the US have a white American spouse, while 60% of them hire a local person as a helper/nanny, what would be the more probable scenario?  It would even be more probable for someone who disapproved of nannies or hiring local people as household help.

My first thought about who the adult female was:  "nanny or mom ... kids look like they could be biracial ... whatever, doesn't matter."  The reason I thought maybe nanny was the desperation in her face when she ran in to get the kids and save the situation.  I have been in developing countries where nannies (and other household employees) would act exactly like that if everything wasn't perfect, for fear of losing their jobs.  So, split second thought, it could have been either nanny or mom.  Other people thought "mom" because in their experience, a mom would be more desperate in that situation than a nanny.  Both realistic assumptions IMO.

I have had people think I was my kids' nanny.  WHO CARES?  Should my kids' ex-nanny be offended because she IS a nanny?

I was put off by the interviewer's insistence on talking about "how did you feel about her being initially assumed to be the nanny" like she should be offended.  Why be offended by what job a total stranger thinks you might have?  As others have said, what is so disgusting about being a nanny?

And frankly - if I was the mom in that situation, I'd be like, "let them think that was your nanny" to deflect the feeling of mortification.  Kinda like I ask people "whose kids are those" when my darlings are getting up to something.  :P

• Like 4

My first thought about who the adult female was: "nanny or mom ... kids look like they could be biracial ... whatever, doesn't matter." The reason I thought maybe nanny was the desperation in her face when she ran in to get the kids and save the situation. I have been in developing countries where nannies (and other household employees) would act exactly like that if everything wasn't perfect, for fear of losing their jobs. So, split second thought, it could have been either nanny or mom. Other people thought "mom" because in their experience, a mom would be more desperate in that situation than a nanny. Both realistic assumptions IMO.

I have had people think I was my kids' nanny. WHO CARES? Should my kids' ex-nanny be offended because she IS a nanny?

I was put off by the interviewer's insistence on talking about "how did you feel about her being initially assumed to be the nanny" like she should be offended. Why be offended by what job a total stranger thinks you might have? As others have said, what is so disgusting about being a nanny?

And frankly - if I was the mom in that situation, I'd be like, "let them think that was your nanny" to deflect the feeling of mortification. Kinda like I ask people "whose kids are those" when my darlings are getting up to something. :P

I don't get it either. I've been asked if I was a nanny at the playground and some other places. I'm not offended by it. Most people in higher income professional circles tend to presume both parents work and thus daytime care giver is usually a nanny. That's the only reason I initially thought she might be a nanny. It had nothing to do with her skin tint. Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 3