Menu

Today's Other Frivolous Poll (since I seem to be slow on this today)

Boys and Men Sit or Stand?  

1. 1. Boys and Men Sit or Stand?

• The males in our house sit at home to protect the walls and stand at urinals.
    • The men in our house only sit when too ill to stand.
    • The men in our house wouldn't be caught dead sitting to Your-in-8.
    • Sit at home and in other home restrooms.
    • Too private to answer.
    • I'm a woman and have no idea as the males in my house clean the bathrooms.
    • Never thought about the walls getting sprayed before.
    • Other

Do the males in your house sit or stand to Your-in-8. I'll answer later, so as not to embarrass the wonderful males in my house. Feel free to say why in a post, all you brave souls out there.

ETA-- multiple votes allowed (but why?)

I don't get some of your options?? What does sitting or standing have to do with them cleaning the bathroom? My dh and sons all stand to urinate.

ETA: What do you mena about protecting the walls and such?

Edited by Momto4kids
ETA

I don't get some of your options?? What does sitting or standing have to do with them cleaning the bathroom? My dh and sons all stand to urinate.

I think she is talking about males with poor aim. Shudder. My dh stands but he does NOT miss. I taught my ds to not miss either....if I find he has missed he cleans it up.

Well, little boys not only sometimes miss, I know of some (not my ds) who have games such as seeing how far away they can stand from the toilet and still hit it. Also, at least some men (I know from the shocked repsonses of surprised wives) give a flick when done (toilet paper for that is only for females, don't you know;) I didn't always know that) and where do you think those flicked drops go? Plus, my mother foolishly (in her words) put carpet in the upstair bathroom when my db was only 5. Add younger nephews, etc, and that carpet had to be ripped out.

One word - Aerosol.

If you pee from a height, not only will it splatter on the sides of the toilet & the floor & the walls, but the pee can also be aerosoled.

Same thing if you flush with the seat up - the flushing action can aerosol some of the water & it will land in teeny tiny droplets on your counters.

Which is why toothbrushes left on a counter make me barf.

This was in the news recently as there have been updated studies but all I could find was the old references

http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/a_282-What_is_Lurking_in_Your_Bathroom

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1317/does-flushing-the-toilet-cause-dirty-water-to-be-spewed-around-the-bathroom

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1839

DH stands unless he's too wiped out.

DS sits because he needs to use his hands to aim and he can't do that while focusing on standing with his pants around his ankles. His coordination isn't there yet.

I do remember DS expressing interest in the potty and there were DS, DD, and I in the bathroom. I explained that sometimes boys sit and sometimes boys stand to urinate, like they have usually seen Daddy do.

DD turns to me with horror in her eyes and yells, "Does Daddy stand to poo?!? Where does it go?"

Jen

One word - Aerosol.

If you pee from a height, not only will it splatter on the sides of the toilet & the floor & the walls, but the pee can also be aerosoled.

Same thing if you flush with the seat up - the flushing action can aerosol some of the water & it will land in teeny tiny droplets on your counters.

Which is why toothbrushes left on a counter make me barf.

This was in the news recently as there have been updated studies but all I could find was the old references

http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/a_282-What_is_Lurking_in_Your_Bathroom

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1317/does-flushing-the-toilet-cause-dirty-water-to-be-spewed-around-the-bathroom

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1839

Wow, great links. It's even grosser than I thought. Makes me glad that we keep our toothbrushes in a closed medicine cabinet (somewhat better), or, in the case of one of my dd's, in her bedroom (she brushes in bed, thank you very much:tongue_smilie:).

I voted "wouldn't be caught dead".

At three years old, my older ds stood within a week of learning the potty.

Here is two-year-old (not yet-potty trained) ds at camp trying to figure out how to water a tree like his big brother:

He is going to hate me for photo this one day...

Isn't watering trees a rite of passage for boys?;) One of my grandfathers used to go out every night and water his yard this way--an old farmer thing or something. Of course, he never did this to his crops.

Edited by Karin

My husband stands.

My son sits because he was potty trained by mommy who also trained him to wipe when he pees.

I trained my ds to wipe when he pees, but dh was quite upset that I'd taught him to do that, so I had to untrain him (ugh.) Dh figures real men don't do that;). But if he's undressed to go into the tub, ds still wipes because he's very consciencious about drips.

There's zero excuse to not get pee in the toilet whether they are sitting or standing, regardless of who cleans the bathroom.

I have no idea what they do after I'm done potty training them.

I would guess it depends on what "else" they need to do? If you have to sit to do do, might as well sit to do all the business?

Why would anyone care?:confused:

Another vote for both. My dh stands, my oldest ds sits (he's 9), don't know why because he used to stand sometimes. I think it's because he's starting to like reading and yes he'll read while he tinkles. Don't know about my youngest as he's just starting to show an interest in potty training, so only time will tell.

I answered other b/c . . .

dh and oldest two boys sit most of the time, but the almost 3 yo stands out of convenience. We pretty much have to take his pants off for him to sit, and quite frankly, that's just too much work. :D So, for now he stands and he will later be converted to sitting like the rest.

This is definitely influenced by my preference, but dh is in total agreement on this one.

~Staci