Menu

1/2 credit Health suggestions...not a textbook

We need to do a 1/2 credit health course.  I would like to use real books instead of a textbook.  I'm thinking of something by Michael Pollen for nutrition and also using the Anatomy Coloring Book.  Any suggestions for the rest?  Specifically, I am looking for a book to cover sexual health, reproduction, and birth control. 

Secular required. 

Thanks! 

You might look at Oak Meadow's Health & Fitness. It is supposed to be a full credit, but 1/2 credit is probably about right if you skip the textbook. We are using the syllabus without the textbook. It schedules the Anatomy Coloring Book and Pollan's In Defense of Food. It also schedules Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by Ratey.

The syllabus gives an introduction to topics (including those you listed) with an assumption that more will be learned in the textbook. Sometimes the information in the syllabus has been enough, but when it hasn't been I take a few questions from the syllabus and assign them as research topics. These questions also sparked great discussions, particularly with the chapters on reproductive health. That's probably not at all what you are looking for... but I can't resist mentioning it since it ties together some of the resources you are hoping to use.

• Like 3

You might look at Oak Meadow's Health & Fitness. It is supposed to be a full credit, but 1/2 credit is probably about right if you skip the textbook. We are using the syllabus without the textbook. It schedules the Anatomy Coloring Book and Pollan's In Defense of Food. It also schedules Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by Ratey.

The syllabus gives an introduction to topics (including those you listed) with an assumption that more will be learned in the textbook. Sometimes the information in the syllabus has been enough, but when it hasn't been I take a few questions from the syllabus and assign them as research topics. These questions also sparked great discussions, particularly with the chapters on reproductive health. That's probably not at all what you are looking for... but I can't resist mentioning it since it ties together some of the resources you are hoping to use.

This.  We just got this in the mail today (bought during the sale) and it looks really good.  

Edited by mc26
  • Like 2

Hmm...I never thought of this.  I assumed the syllabus just assigned readings.  So the course is worth doing even without the textbook?  (Sorry, that seems strange to me!  I figured the text was the core of the program.)   The syllabus is a little pricey at $65.  I'll have to look for a sample. 

Hmm...I never thought of this.  I assumed the syllabus just assigned readings.  So the course is worth doing even without the textbook?  (Sorry, that seems strange to me!  I figured the text was the core of the program.)   The syllabus is a little pricey at $65.  I'll have to look for a sample. 

I thought I was crazy to use it without the textbook. But it fit exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd try it. The syllabus is 200 pages so there is a lot of extra info and research activities in there. It was worth it for me because I really didn't feel like pulling together my own thing. Definitely check out the samples and see what you think.

• Like 1

I thought I was crazy to use it without the textbook. But it fit exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd try it. The syllabus is 200 pages so there is a lot of extra info and research activities in there. It was worth it for me because I really didn't feel like pulling together my own thing. Definitely check out the samples and see what you think.

I like the sample a lot, actually.  Thanks for the great idea.  I had looked at OM Health initially but couldn't justify the cost.  Without the textbook, though, it's much more reasonable.  Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a sale before fall.  :)

• Like 1

I like the sample a lot, actually.  Thanks for the great idea.  I had looked at OM Health initially but couldn't justify the cost.  Without the textbook, though, it's much more reasonable.  Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a sale before fall.  :)

They usually have a sale in May.  I bought mine used from ebay.

• Like 1

This is exactly what we are planning to do next year! I'm am so glad to hear it is working out well for you!

• Like 2