Menu

Confused: TPS Placement Paper?

Hi,

We are a non Christian homeschooling family. I have to enrolled my son in TPS English 3 LS,but as I saw the placement paper literary analysis question, they ask for a Biblical reference in the essay. Would the teacher grant us an exception with using the Bible as reference? As an exception, could my son use our own Holy Book as a reference so that they can still see how the student can incorporate citations and integrate outside sources in the essay.... 

Has anyone had this scenario? How did you tackle this problem?

Thank you.....

Has anyone had this scenario? How did you tackle this problem?

When Trinqueta did literature classes at Landry there were biblical references pretty much every week. Since we're culturally Christian (we're not religious but we're nominally Catholic) this wasn't a big deal. Every class started with a very Protestant prayer but only the teacher had to talk so T just sat through it politely.

OTOH, if we were actively members of another faith I would not have used Landry. I'd go with a secular provider like Well Trained Mind Academy. I'd say the test is whether or not you'd feel comfortable putting you child in a parochial school. If you wouldn't do that, it's better to avoid the explicitly Christian schools.

• Like 3

I haven't had this situation, but I am assuming that several papers will also include Biblical allusions or quotes at TPS. We've run into this at WHA (Wilson Hill Academy) in their Honors Composition class (which is being renamed Fundamentals of Academic Writing). There was at least one paper that was all Bible-related (a parable) and one paper where it was highly suggested that the students include a Bible quote.

With Christian providers, it is better to ask lots of questions first. Best people to ask are the ones at TPS - specifically, the teachers of that class.

• Like 2

Contact the teacher for your student's class and ask! All the teachers' emails are listed on the TPS site.

It sounds like TPS might not be the best fit for your family, but the only way you can be sure one way or the other is to talk to the teacher.

• Like 1