Menu

What do I need for LA for 1st grade?

vaquitita

For a kid already reading. Right now he's doing spelling you see level B and reading out loud to me. Next year I want to switch him to something else for a couple reasons. One is to avoid competition between and his older sister (she's delayed, he's advanced) and two I think he will be really bored by the repetition. He just doesn't need a lot of review.

If he did HWOT and WWE 1 would that be enough? I'm thinking we could use the spelling you see marking method with the copy work (or I could discuss the spelling ala RLTL/Spalding style). And in third grade start Fix It Grammer.

I also recently stumbled across the good and the beautiful LA program... I'm not sure I want/need so much.

Edited by vaquitita

Really, I'm of the opinion that if a first grader is reading, reading is enough. (With some handwriting thrown in.)

Spelling, grammar, writing...all those things will be easier to teach, easier to learn, and a greater pleasure...the more books a kid has under his belt. Your plan sounds perfect. It will leave him plenty of time to just read!

• Like 1

Really, I'm of the opinion that if a first grader is reading, reading is enough. (With some handwriting thrown in.)

Spelling, grammar, writing...all those things will be easier to teach, easier to learn, and a greater pleasure...the more books a kid has under his belt. Your plan sounds perfect. It will leave him plenty of time to just read!

I'm thinking the same thing. The Good and the Beautiful LA looks really nice, but it also looks like so much MORE than he really needs right now.

Handwriting, WWE. I could add in RLTL twice a week (on non copy work days) because I have it. Or maybe not. ;) I was just going to use the first grade HWOT book because the kindergarten book worked well for him, but now he's telling me I should teach him cursive! :D

• Like 1

I am in the better late than early grammar camp, so I don't think you need grammar. Is your student reading fluently? If so you might consider spelling or extra copywork. I think basic reading, writing (handwriting), listening, and speaking are all you need. My 1st grader did HWOT (love it - only lasts about 13 weeks so you may want to add copywork on the days that WWE doesn't include it), memory work/recitation, Junior Great Books, and AAS 1 which had some dictation.

• Like 2

I also agree about reading lots.

We are using Writing with Ease 1, 1st Language Lessons 1, reading lots of books at proper level, beginning cursive, and MCP Spelling A with our happy 1st grade DD. Plus read alouds for everyone to enjoy!

1st LL will cover a good intro to grammar, poetry memorization, and picture narration. It is gentle and does almost everything orally. It only takes about 15 min. or less and you are done! We liked the CD for the songs, they take a few times to learn but really help. My dyslexic 9yr old son (just starting LV 2) can rattle off the lists of pronouns and "be" verbs! You only need to do lessons 3 times a week, but we are doing 4 lessons a week. You can go as fast as needed- we skimmed over a few lessons when the concept was already known. You might be able to skip up to level 2, but really knowing the nouns, pronouns and verbs taught in lv 1 may be helpful.

WWE 1 is great too. If he already knows how to write well in printing, then don't be afraid to start him on cursive.

You can read library books about science and history topics to cover that in a fun way, and listen to beautiful classical music during the day.

With a 1st grader keep it fun and don't burn them out.  

• Like 1

He is reading fluently, I will continue to have him read aloud to me a few days each week. I've been looking through the wwe sample and see it only has Copywork twice a week. So I think I can work thru the other writing stuff on the other three days. Possibly HWOT 1 to reinforce his printing skills a bit, then finish up spelling you see level B, then move on to RLTL. I will have to decide whether to hold off on cursive till mid year or start it right away.

I have Handwriting Lessons Through Literature, so I will probably use that. If I start at the beginning of the year, we could work thru the strokes and letters and syllables, and then do RLTL Copywork to go along with that. Tho the stories don't start till after you get thru the first 20 lists, but maybe I just won't worry about lining them up. He may not even read the stories, because he can easily read them already. Yeah, I think I'll try cursive at the beginning of the year and if he can handle it great, and if he can't, then drop it and try again later in the year.

Eta: AAS is good, but it is out for a couple reasons. One, he just doesn't need that much explicit instruction. Something that gets it done faster will be better for him. And two, I do not want him in the same programs as his sister and she is one who will greatly benefit from AAS.

(I didn't mention it, because I was just figuring out LA, but yes he will be doing math, independent reading, let's read and find out science, and beautiful feet early American history with his big sister.)

Edited by vaquitita

1st steps up a notch from the very relaxed kindy in our house. Subjects get a little more formal. Most of mine had grammar (gentle FLL 1), spelling *or* phonics, copywork based writing, and literature. If they were still working on reading that was the focus and everything else was set aside.

Here's what I'm planning for my youngest. He'll turn 7 at the start on the school year and just took off reading in January.

-Continue phonics until SSRW 1 is finished or he's simply ready for a spelling book to take over. R&S spelling 2 and/or WRTR will be in the closet waiting.

-Daily copywork, starting slow and gentle and increasing difficulty as he's ready for it.

-Skipping grammar beyond discussing basics through his copywork. All of his siblings have used FLL. For this guy I'm leaning toward waiting for 2nd and condensing the whole 1/2 book into one year.

-Reading lots and lots of picture books together and listening to read alouds.

He'll also have math, history with a sister (finishing ancients and rolling into medieval), interest led science with lots of living books, and any geography books he can get his hands on.

If you do WWE, you can count that as handwriting practice thus eliminating overlap/ potential for boredom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk