Menu

Overcharged at grocery store - given $5 extra for my inconvenience

Pegasus

Is this typical?  I picked up a few groceries yesterday as I was running other errands. I didn't notice until I got home that the ham that I picked up on sale had rung up at full price. The difference was like $7 so I returned today with ham and receipt in tow.  Not only did Kroger refund the difference in price, he added $5 to the refund, stating it was for my inconvenience.  

I would have been satisfied simply with the difference in price.  I know mistakes happen and I usually try to keep an eye on the register as items are being rung up or at the very least, scan my receipt before I leave the store. Clearly, I was rushing too much yesterday for my usual due diligence. 

Is this a Kroger thing? 

I haven't had that experience at Fred Meyer (a Kroger store), but I remember that when I used to shop at Albertson's when it was in our area, if they overcharged you on an item and you brought it to their attention at customer service, their policy was to give you the item for free. If you had purchased multiples of that item on the receipt, they would give the first one free, then a refund for the overcharge on the others.

Erica in OR

Several states have these laws. It seems a bit on the draconian side, but until Michigan had that law, overcharging was RAMPANT. People were just gouged all over the place, and it is in fact stealing. Corporate stealing. Once they had to cough up the penalty, it was surprising how quickly their scanners suddenly became accurate.

• Like 3