Menu

What could these symptoms be related to?

luckymom

If you take a heart issue out of it, what could all of this be related to?

dizziness and faintness (sometimes after speaking for a while or if trying to breathe deeply)

tingling in the hands

short-term (1-5 minutes) of cramping/contraction in the hand(s) making it impossible to use the hand until it passes

The last few times it has happened more frequently and of longer duration.  The last time my left hand became completely paralyzed in a weird "squeezed" gesture for several minutes while the right hand was tingling/numb, my breath was short, and I was faint and nauseous.  

My blood work and cardio tests area ll normal.  It is really worrying me. 

Thank you. Please keep the ideas coming.

I have low blood pressure.  No anxiety or panic.  No medication or infection.  

Looking into the magnesium suggestion.

Did you get a recent CBC test that said no raised white cell count?  Because walking pneumonia can have no symptoms in most people.  The second time I had it my right lung was nearly collapsed before I had any symptoms at all.

• Like 2

Carpal tunnel might explain the hand/arm symptoms, but I don't like the dizziness and faintness.

I would be worried, too. Do you have a fever or any other symptoms of illness?

I don't even know what kind of doctor to suggest you see.

I'll try to keep bumping your thread so as many people as possible will see it. I'm hoping someone will have had the same thing and be able to give you the information you need. :grouphug:

Carpal tunnel might explain the hand/arm symptoms, but I don't like the dizziness and faintness.

I would be worried, too. Do you have a fever or any other symptoms of illness?

I don't even know what kind of doctor to suggest you see.

I'll try to keep bumping your thread so as many people as possible will see it. I'm hoping someone will have had the same thing and be able to give you the information you need. :grouphug:

Many thanks for caring and helping!

• Like 1

The sodium thing is a good point. If you're not diabetic, go get a couple of quarts (maybe 3) of low-calorie Gatorade.  It's called G2.  Also get some magnesium supplements and a container of epsom salts.  And aspirin if you don't have any.

Drink the gatorade, all 3 quarts, today and finish them before bed.  Take ONE dose of magnesium (more will give you diarrhea), and one dose of aspirin.  Take a bath with epsom salts, at least 20 minutes in hot or warm water, at least two cups of magnesium. It will also raise your magnesium level.

See how you feel in the morning.

• Like 2

Very relieved that it's not your heart!

So, I had this thing...I would get slightly dehydrated quite easily and then dizzy and then if I didn't lie down, very faint.  This was worsened by taking deep breaths and singing very intensely, to the extent that I had to walk off the stage toward the end of singing the Messiah.  How I felt was, hot, dizzy, heart racing sometimes, and then almost fainting.  It only happened when I was standing up, not sitting down, but once it started, I could not fix it by sitting--I had to lie all the way down.  Altitude changes made it worse.  Also I had pain in my left breast.  (So fun!) 

If you google this stuff, it's pretty scary. Heart failure seemed like the best match, if not an actual heart attack.

I had my heart thoroughly evaluated, and it wasn't that.  (Including all the normal tests plus a 4 week monitor.)  Whew!

I was not dizzy or faint all the time, but, if I, say, shook my head hard, I would get a little woozy.  It was weird.

So then I went alternative. I know a couple of acupuncturists, and one of them mentioned in my presence that vertigo and balance issues are great things for her to treat.  So I went to her, and after listening to my story and evaluating me, she said that she thought that I had a digestive imbalance, and that by treating that she would be able to stop the wooziness.  This sounded totally bizarre to me, but after one treatment, I was cured of the wooziness completely for a whole year. 

In the meantime I'm making other health changes that are in the direction of goodness, and also taking care not to sing quite so hard, and drinking extra water before and during choral performances and trips to higher altitudes, and have not had any recurrences.  To me it was crucial to know for sure that it wasn't my heart before I could unlayer the rest of the onion with any confidence.

• Like 3

Some kind of hormonal issue? I can't remember the exact reason for it, but some women get carpal tunnel symptoms around the time of their period. I've had that happen on occasion. The hormones make something in your wrist swell, I think? Anyway, if they rule out all they more obvious stuff you could get your hormones tested.

These were my exact symptoms when my doctor tested me for Lyme disease 7 years ago.  I tested positive.  Never saw the tick or the rash.  Once I was treated with 4 weeks of doxycycline I was fine.

ETA:  I was so frightened when it happened.  I thought I was having a stroke.  I couldn't touch any finger to my thumb and couldn't grasp or grab anything for 10-15 minute periods.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

I had some similar symptoms that were caused by a pinched nerve in my neck which they could see on an MRI.

Echoing this as a possibility. Those symptoms sound like they could involve your spinal cord. Based on my own history I'll just add the very rare "zebra" of a spinal tumor compressing your spinal cord, which could also be seen on an MRI.