Menu

Have you seen these??!!!

Well, I certainly see your point, really I do, BUT...

I live in Minnesota, and my son has only been able to play outside a few times due to below zero wind-chills in the past several weeks. We're talking

-20, -30 and beyond wind-chill.

So I actually think they're a good thing, when used in certain circumstances like nasty weather.

ironing boards and toy lawn mowers. Children love to imitate the adults around them. If Mum uses the exercise bike during "Oprah", I see nothing wrong with kiddo copying Mum. At least they are getting some sort of exercise, what does a toy ironing board accomplish? The items might be extremely useful for physical therapy of some type or another. Jus' a couple of different thoughts.

When I do get out my exercise equipment my 6 yo loves to copy what I do and use my things.If I had the adult version of those toys at home I'm certain she would love to have her own just like mine.Except I don't think those look like they would last long under her use.

I think they're cool and useful. We just purchased a treadmill specifically for the children to get exercise. They don't do outside much for several reasons. We have lots of bees around in the spring and summer. We don't have a yard that is good for basketball, bike riding, scooters, etc. I'd never allow my children to run around the neighborhood like I did when I was young, too many scary things. The grocery store is at least 3 miles away as is the nearest convenience store. Even if we did choose to walk that distance, there are no sidewalks along the highway. Yes, I said highway where the speed limit is 55 mph. I don't even go to the local parks anymore because I don't feel safe. The recent news of women being abducted and killed are just too close to our actual location.

The world is changing.

I also think they are cool. My kids would love them. We're a military family and a lot of the places it's just not possible to be out all the time.

We've lived in WA where much of the time it was either raining or the ground was so drenched it was like a swamp.

We've lived in WI where like a pper said during many months it's so cold there's no way the kids can be outside playing for more than a few minutes.

We've lived in Fl where we then had times where it was so hot out that you couldn't be out for very long for fear of heat stroke and dehydration.

My kids also love to imitate me while I work out, it's fun for them.

So I say why not kids "exercise" equipment. Like another said, it's not much different in my book that a toy ironing board, toy kitchen, etc.

We saw that (the ski-like-thing) at Superstore and my son jumped on it right away. He's been cooped up in the house due to the dangerously sub-zero temperatures and blistering winds. The poor kid is normally all over the farmyard and in every tree -- a very, very active little boy. He's going cabin-crazy! For a brief moment, I actually considered getting it, but then changed my mind as it's really a bit too small for him, and I don't have that much room in my budget at the moment.

Well, I certainly see your point, really I do, BUT...

I live in Minnesota, and my son has only been able to play outside a few times due to below zero wind-chills in the past several weeks. We're talking

-20, -30 and beyond wind-chill.

So I actually think they're a good thing, when used in certain circumstances like nasty weather.

Hey! Hi Frankie! -- My chilly northern cross-border buddy. :D

I don't know. I'll have think about this one:confused: If we weren't able to get out of the house due to weather and the littles were climbing the wall, it might be a good way to eliminate some of that energy. I certainly wouldn't want those types of items to become "the" only exercise or have them using them often enough to cause repetitive injuries.

I wouldn't purchase them. Check out this

This is so funny. I loved the line, 'Nothing says fun to kids like a good graph or chart'.

What a strange world we live in!

I totally agree. Dude - since when has the weather ever been sooooo bad for sooooooo long that the kids can't play outside?

Maybe I just have a tough non complaining kid - but she will play outside in any weather. (Yes, I live in Florida now.....but she was outside all winter in Alaska too!!!!)

I laugh when people say it's too hot or too cold to play outside FOR A KID! I think it makes them stronger and healthier. I think it's pathetic that there is even a market for them!

In the summer - she carries water with her and eats lots of fruit. If she gets hot - there's always a tree for shade or a trough for a pool. In the winter - she can bundle up. The wonderful woman who took care of her in Alaska would bundle up those 6 kids and they'd at least get half an hour outside. Only rarely did she think it tooo miserable for outside - certainly never enough to invest in exercise equipment for children!

I love the great outdoors.

I think they're cool and useful. We just purchased a treadmill specifically for the children to get exercise. They don't do outside much for several reasons. We have lots of bees around in the spring and summer. We don't have a yard that is good for basketball, bike riding, scooters, etc. I'd never allow my children to run around the neighborhood like I did when I was young, too many scary things. The grocery store is at least 3 miles away as is the nearest convenience store. Even if we did choose to walk that distance, there are no sidewalks along the highway. Yes, I said highway where the speed limit is 55 mph. I don't even go to the local parks anymore because I don't feel safe. The recent news of women being abducted and killed are just too close to our actual location.

The world is changing.

Oh, gosh, this sounds like us!

We don't live in town, but we don't live in the country. The only safe place to ride their bikes and scooters is up and down the driveway. The speed limit on our road is 45 mph, but lots of people drive much faster than that. They get bored with the backyard swingset. There is no place to go, the only neighbors we know live right next door so there is nobody else to play with when they are not home.

We do have a very nice park nearby and I do try to get them there from time to time. We go to the Y to swim. Other than that, I rely on organized things (Boy Scout hikes, ballet class, etc) for their physical development.

that most of the things you all are listing as reasons for kids not going outside are right there in Louv's book, The Last Child in the Woods. I can totally relate, especially with those of you dealing with the sub-zero temps for weeks at a time.

I can also relate to the people who live where there are only highways going by - I've been there, too, and it sucks!

But...I do think that kids have to be bored in order to develop imaginations. You do have to fire them outside again and again until they quit complaining and start thinking of things to do with what they have. Remember all those pioneer kids who had one doll or one tin hoop to their names?

By all means, use exercise toys as tools, and I can see ways imaginative kids will use them as other things (pretending to climb a mountain, or ride a real bike somewhere, etc,) but on a deeper level I find them disturbing, I guess.

Remember all those pioneer kids who had one doll or one tin hoop to their names?

Just curious as to what relevance this has on the subject? I've always disliked the 'back in the good old days' argument. Why does getting outside to exercise equate with having an imagination? I'm 40 years old. I clearly remember playing outdoors when I was a kid.

First, we knew everyone on the block. All the kids were growing up together. I've yet to live in one place as an adult where I know more than a neighbor's name. As children, we were subject to the parental rulings of ANY parent on the street. If Mrs. Bennett had seen me doing something I shouldn't have been doing she would have stopped me and marched me home pronto. I don't see that type of community anymore. In fact, I now perceive a very different world where parents are often offended if another parent tries to "parent" their child. Oh and remember the older man who saw a child walking in the rain to school and crying? He picked the girl up in his car and drove her to school. That caused an uproar as he could have been a potential predator. Back in my day, gosh I can't believe I said that, parents would have thanked the neighbor for their help. Our current neighborhood is only one street with a dead-end. We don't know any of the children who live here. There is no neighborhood really, no place to play except in each other's yards but everyone is a stranger. Our last neighborhood has 180 houses and we still didn't see lots of kids running around the way my DH and I remember doing as children. Then when we finally did meet a couple of families, after living in the house for 6 years, the kids playing outside developed into a situation that involved the police and a special force (se*ual) unit. We put our house up for sale and moved.

Second, those pioneer kids didn't have lots of time to play. They also had many working chores that aren't common in the average household today. While I know some of the homeschoolers on this board have farms or whatever you call them, I have never personally known anyone that needed to wake up at dawn to feed and water animals, begin a long breakfast preparation, etc. We don't do the sewing, cooking and cleaning the way they did back then. Actually let me say *I* don't live that lifestyle. I believe it's called homesteading these days. There isn't anything wrong with that type of lifestyle but it's not a necessity in our family, i.e. we don't have to work laboriously to feed and clothe ourselves. Oh, and let's not forget that these pioneer children were also required to grow up quickly. Didn't they marry at a young age? Anyway, my kids lives are nothing like the pioneer days so I don't see why they should learn to entertain themselves the same way the pioneers did.

And last, I interpreted this thread as an exercise thread. I felt you were horrified that kids needed exercise equipment at all because of the idea that kids will get exercise while playing normally. My first response was in that line of thinking. Since the outside doesn't seem to be safe, kids may spend more time indoors. My kids have great imaginations and play alot. But they don't get a good cardio workout because they don't run around the house like they might if they were playing tag or ball outside. But I really don't see why letting them exercise on fitness equipment is bad. Yes, I understand the types of injuries that can occur on machines. However, I've also seen injuries from regular play and sports as well.

I think they're cute. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they look like toys for little kids who like to imitate and pretend. They don't look sturdy enough for bigger kids.

I just don't think "play" -- inside or out -- *has* to have a purpose or an excuse -- educational or otherwise. If the kids have fun with something like that and you can afford it -- and want to buy it -- why not? Doesn't have to be because of bad weather or good weather or anything else. Just "fun" -- and not dangerous! -- would be good enough, I should think.

"it goes great with anything from Ikea" too funny

Here's my opinion on the exercise equipment: Made to be broken, made to go straight to the landfill, in the meantime it's just more junk filling up your house. Total crap.

my two cents. Of course I live in Georgia where the winters are mild-- still our summers can be unliveable.

Margaret

I totally agree. Dude - since when has the weather ever been sooooo bad for sooooooo long that the kids can't play outside?

Maybe I just have a tough non complaining kid - but she will play outside in any weather. (Yes, I live in Florida now.....but she was outside all winter in Alaska too!!!!)

I laugh when people say it's too hot or too cold to play outside FOR A KID! I think it makes them stronger and healthier. I think it's pathetic that there is even a market for them!

In the summer - she carries water with her and eats lots of fruit. If she gets hot - there's always a tree for shade or a trough for a pool. In the winter - she can bundle up. The wonderful woman who took care of her in Alaska would bundle up those 6 kids and they'd at least get half an hour outside. Only rarely did she think it tooo miserable for outside - certainly never enough to invest in exercise equipment for children!

It might not be too hot or too cold out for a kids, but I go outside with my children for safety reasons and so I don't always want to go out. Although, these look like they might be too small for my kids, I'd buy them if they were the right size and I had the money.

Kristine

Do you even remember what it's like to be outside in -30 wind-chill? -40? Heck, even -10? Show me a kid that even wants to be out in it. It's nasty, it's unsafe, and it's dangerous. And we had those temps for two weeks straight, a short reprieve, and then another week and a half. My son was out long enough to take his puppies potty.

As for being too hot? Last summer a 12 year old boy died in the town my MIL lives in. It was 106 that day, and he had been playing with friends. They went to the golf course and then to the local swimming pool. He had been drinking water, but apparently not enough. He was on the rings swinging across the pool and dropped dead into the water from heat exhaustion.

So I personally believe (know!) there are temps where it is too hot or too cold for children, who have a harder time regulating their body temperatures than adults, to play outside. Now they're extreme, but they exist.

Do you even remember what it's like to be outside in -30 wind-chill? -40? Heck, even -10? Show me a kid that even wants to be out in it. It's nasty, it's unsafe, and it's dangerous. And we had those temps for two weeks straight, a short reprieve, and then another week and a half. My son was out long enough to take his puppies potty.

As for being too hot? Last summer a 12 year old boy died in the town my MIL lives in. It was 106 that day, and he had been playing with friends. They went to the golf course and then to the local swimming pool. He had been drinking water, but apparently not enough. He was on the rings swinging across the pool and dropped dead into the water from heat exhaustion.

So I personally believe (know!) there are temps where it is too hot or too cold for children, who have a harder time regulating their body temperatures than adults, to play outside. Now they're extreme, but they exist.

I'm jumping in with Frankie on this angle. Karen, YOU go stand outside, bundled up, when it's -30°C with a wind child that puts it at -45°C or colder, and then you come back in and tell me that it's fine and dandy to be sending my kid outside for a good half hour in that.

I'm not exaggerating one iota either! We've had 4 blizzards here in as many weeks. We've been in a serious deep freeze for weeks on end. I'm a little farther north than Frankie, but I'm sure she'll be backing me up on the factuality of what I'm saying, as her neck of the woods is experiencing a similar fate.

I want my son to be able to play outside everyday. In fair enough weather he does. Anything warmer than -20°C usually isn't a problem, unless the wind is bad (which it often can be here on the prairies). However, my desire for him to get outside time is curbed by my desire for him to remain healthy. Frostbite, the last time I checked, wasn't a very healthy pursuit.